Sox have "flexibility" to add "long term pieces"

southsider2k5

56 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I am curious to whom you are referring.  Delmonico?  Palka?  Davidson?  There certainly aren't guys backed up in the high minors at 1B.

Abreu.  If he isn't going to be here past 19, move on. 

Edit:  Past that, it doesn't matter.  Next man up.  This team isn't trying to win, it is trying to evaluate.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Abreu.  If he isn't going to be here past 19, move on. 

Edit:  Past that, it doesn't matter.  Next man up.  This team isn't trying to win, it is trying to evaluate.

I knew you meant Abreu.  You referred to other guys to break in.  I think it is a poor strategy to get rid of productive players, even if they are aging, with no replacement plan at all.  Evaluating Gillaspie for the sake of doing so as your everyday 1B is a terrible plan.

19 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I knew you meant Abreu.  You referred to other guys to break in.  I think it is a poor strategy to get rid of productive players, even if they are aging, with no replacement plan at all.  Evaluating Gillaspie for the sake of doing so as your everyday 1B is a terrible plan.

Wasting time on people who won't be on our next playoff team is the worst possible plan.

Wait, you don't think they have a plan?  That a full rebuild isn't a plan?

No.  Not what I said at all.  Really?  Weren't we talking about something more specific? We were talking about Abreu.  You said if they weren't going to extend him they should move him out to start "breaking in" other guys.  You then said there were no other guys but it didn't matter.  I said that's a bad plan.  You said anyone not in the future is a bad plan.  I said not having a plan is worse, in reference to your saying to  basically get rid of Abreu for the sake of getting rid of him with no one to replace him or no real alternative at 1B.  Certainly without any real prospect at 1B to take his place.  

Getting rid of guys for attrition's sake seems like a worse plan than having a very good, very professional, leader, and mentor on the team.  

If there was a legit prospect that he was blocking, then fine i see it.  Otherwise there is no reason not to have Abreu on the team unless someone gives you a trade package that includes some really good prospects.  

7 hours ago, turnin' two said:

No.  Not what I said at all.  Really?  Weren't we talking about something more specific? We were talking about Abreu.  You said if they weren't going to extend him they should move him out to start "breaking in" other guys.  You then said there were no other guys but it didn't matter.  I said that's a bad plan.  You said anyone not in the future is a bad plan.  I said not having a plan is worse, in reference to your saying to  basically get rid of Abreu for the sake of getting rid of him with no one to replace him or no real alternative at 1B.  Certainly without any real prospect at 1B to take his place.  

Getting rid of guys for attrition's sake seems like a worse plan than having a very good, very professional, leader, and mentor on the team.  

If there was a legit prospect that he was blocking, then fine i see it.  Otherwise there is no reason not to have Abreu on the team unless someone gives you a trade package that includes some really good prospects.  

Again if a player isn't going to be on the team on our next playoff team,  they mean nothing to this franchise.  

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They're not going to non-tender Abreu and they won't trade him so it's a moot argument really.

They should be either extending him or moving on. At the worst they should know that the odds of extending him are basically 100%

If they don't that is a mistake. Play Davidson. Play Palka.  Play anyone else. Use the ABs to evaluate and teach players who could be around. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

They should be either extending him or moving on. At the worst they should know that the odds of extending him are basically 100%

If they don't that is a mistake. Play Davidson. Play Palka.  Play anyone else. Use the ABs to evaluate and teach players who could be around. 

I don't know if it's right, but the way they'll convince themselves to get around the logic of your statement is to say that Abreu is a good guy to have around the young players and that it's good to have that sort of veteran leadership even if he isn't a long-term option. The fact that there isn't really an obvious 1b waiting in the wings right now will probably be a second part of that decision.

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think he gets extended and is the DH going forward. Something like a 4 year deal where the first year would cover his 2019 salary. They should try Palka at 1B.

Edited by soxfan2014

17 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

We'd only get the pick IF he signed for greater than 50 million. . Which he won't anymore.  Which throws a qualifying offer out the window.  Just let him finish this year and then see if you can sign him cheaply (10mil per year or so) assuming he still produces some next year. 

The contract amount doesn't matter for players on revenue sharing payees that haven't exceeded the tax. If Abreu plays out next season with the Sox, he'll be eligible for a Qualifying Offer after 2019. If they offered him the QO (somewhere between $18-$20) and he turned it down, the Sox would get a draft pick after Competitive Balance Round B regardless of the contract he signs. 

• Like 1

Again if a player isn't going to be on the team on our next playoff team,  they mean nothing to this franchise.  

I think there is value to having veterans on a team of young players learning the MLB. Not at the expense of blocking a player they think will be a star, but there needs to be a few veterans on the team.

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wasting time on people who won't be on our next playoff team is the worst possible plan.

You seem to be taking this a step far.  You really want the Sox to just dump Abreu because they aren't going to be good in 2019? They aren't getting anything worthwhile in exchange for him this winter. May as well see how the roster shakes out, and hope he has a monster 1st half, and if the Sox are bad (as expected) get something of value for him then.