Wait Til Next Year

WBWSF

Walking out of the stadium after the last home game the other night I told myself Wait Til Next Year. I've been saying that for years now..  Even after losing more games than any other MLB team the last 6 years I try to be optimistic about next year.  I try to be optimistic about the White Sox and other things in life. I never want to become another Jay

"Woman Beater" Mariotti. I'm fairly  upbeat about the 2019 White Sox offense. Assuming Jimenez is as good as advertised,  a lineup of Jimenez, Abreu, Garcia, Palka, Moncada and Anderson isn't shabby.  I wish I could feel  the same about the 2019  White Sox starting pitching staff. Some baseball historians think the 1927 Yankees were the greatest team in MLB history. The 1927 Yankees wouldn't win anything with the White Sox starting pitchers. I read where Hahn said the White Sox have to add to their pitching staff. Then I read in the Sun Times that the White Sox are not expected to spend any big money on free agents. I also read where Scott Merkin said the team might be interested in signing Pat Corbin and Dallas Keuchel. Due to the fact that the White Sox are not expecting any of their minor league pitching talent to arrive until 2020 I hope they sign both Corbin and Keuchel. If not 2019 and possibly 2020 are going to be bad years. 6 years of losing baseball  and 10  years without Playoff baseball has been too long.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Walking out of the stadium after the last home game the other night I told myself Wait Til Next Year. I've been saying that for years now..  Even after losing more games than any other MLB team the last 6 years I try to be optimistic about next year.  I try to be optimistic about the White Sox and other things in life. I never want to become another Jay

"Woman Beater" Mariotti. I'm fairly  upbeat about the 2019 White Sox offense. Assuming Jimenez is as good as advertised,  a lineup of Jimenez, Abreu, Garcia, Palka, Moncada and Anderson isn't shabby.  I wish I could feel  the same about the 2019  White Sox starting pitching staff. Some baseball historians think the 1927 Yankees were the greatest team in MLB history. The 1927 Yankees wouldn't win anything with the White Sox starting pitchers. I read where Hahn said the White Sox have to add to their pitching staff. Then I read in the Sun Times that the White Sox are not expected to spend any big money on free agents. I also read where Scott Merkin said the team might be interested in signing Pat Corbin and Dallas Keuchel. Due to the fact that the White Sox are not expecting any of their minor league pitching talent to arrive until 2020 I hope they sign both Corbin and Keuchel. If not 2019 and possibly 2020 are going to be bad years. 6 years of losing baseball  and 10  years without Playoff baseball has been too long.

It isn't going to be next year, and it isn't probably going to be the year after that.  This a rebuild, not a resurrection.  Next year will be better.  Maybe we even push .500.  The bulk of the talent isn't even in the upper minors yet.  Keep that in perspective.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't going to be next year, and it isn't probably going to be the year after that.  This a rebuild, not a resurrection.  Next year will be better.  Maybe we even push .500.  The bulk of the talent isn't even in the upper minors yet.  Keep that in perspective.

He wants it now though. To hell with context. Give the man a world series!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2018 at 10:17 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, the Cubs were premature in their rebuild.  They made the playoffs starting four rookies.  If I had to guess, .500 is a good bet next year and then contention is a possibility the year after that

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Yeah, the Cubs were premature in their rebuild.  They made the playoffs starting four rookies.  If I had to guess, .500 is a good bet next year and then contention is a possibility the year after that

The Cubs lost 101 games in the 2nd year of their rebuild.  Houston lost 106 in their 2nd year, and 107 in their 3rd year.  They actually went from 111 losses to the playoffs in two years, which is remarkable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Cubs lost 101 games in the 2nd year of their rebuild.  Houston lost 106 in their 2nd year, and 107 in their 3rd year.  They actually went from 111 losses to the playoffs in two years, which is remarkable.

Proud to be your like 666.  But seriously, yeah it got ugly.  Houston was crazy when they were in the middle of cable negotiations while simultaneously being terrible.  They drew a 0 rating once back then.

6 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

That is a 20 game improvement. With no Kopech, I think that is a stretch. Now we are in a lousy division but I think 10-12 game improvement would be good. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SCCWS said:

That is a 20 game improvement. With no Kopech, I think that is a stretch. Now we are in a lousy division but I think 10-12 game improvement would be good. 

I'm kind of banking on a bad division again.  I'm also an optimist (despite my attitude during the "go for it every year" days).

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

I don't think we will make it to .500 next year, but I think the 75 to 77 range feels right with the roster today.  The big difference will be the pen is going to be A LOT better, plus we will start to see more of the front line talent hitting in Chicago in Eloy Jimenez.  Especially the bullpen just murdered this team this year.

Well if they can  get a top flight -college dominating pitcher with their first pick in the draft next year that would help...but a 'Sale' comes once in a lifetime...I fear next year will be a replay of this year unless Moncada can fix that hole in his swing-Abreu gets into the swing with a hopefully solid Jimenez debut and Avi has a 'comeback year'....nah too many ifs ...

• Thanks 1

The most recent podcast with Garfien and Ricky is a great listen for what hte Sox were trying to accomplish this year.  He really gets into talking about putting guys into situations to familiarize them with the experiences instead of managing to win games.  There are a decent amount of people who are upset about how many games this team lost this year who should really give this a listen for a perspective on what the team was really trying to do this year.  Hint: It wasn't not losing 100 games.

https://www.art19.com/shows/white-sox-podcast/episodes/24b20d64-3420-4463-b728-b82c0748c991

They are now very familiar with striking out,  walking people,  giving up a lot of runs, bad baserunning, not getting on base, foolishly bunting,and losing games. The problem is, they all were pretty familiar with all of that before this season .

I get they knew winning wasn't going to happen this year, but if they want to say this season was successful in any way, it's fluff. What else are you going to say when despite playing 2 teams 38 times that lost 98 and 103 games, you have the franchise's worst record in 48 years?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The most recent podcast with Garfien and Ricky is a great listen for what hte Sox were trying to accomplish this year.  He really gets into talking about putting guys into situations to familiarize them with the experiences instead of managing to win games.  There are a decent amount of people who are upset about how many games this team lost this year who should really give this a listen for a perspective on what the team was really trying to do this year.  Hint: It wasn't not losing 100 games.

https://www.art19.com/shows/white-sox-podcast/episodes/24b20d64-3420-4463-b728-b82c0748c991

Familiarizing players with sacrifice bunting is not something that would reassure me about Renteria's managing 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

They are now very familiar with striking out,  walking people,  giving up a lot of runs, bad baserunning, not getting on base, foolishly bunting,and losing games. The problem is, they all were pretty familiar with all of that before this season .

I get they knew winning wasn't going to happen this year, but if they want to say this season was successful in any way, it's fluff. What else are you going to say when despite playing 2 teams 38 times that lost 98 and 103 games, you have the franchise's worst record in 48 years?

You come across as so intelligent but your points are empty calories.  Tim Anderson is a much better player this year than last year.  Moncada struggled but learned to take his lumps and get back out there.  Reynaldo Lopez was good even when his stuff wasn't.  You're not watching the same team as everyone else or you don't know what you're watching.

Striking out, walking, giving up runs are part of development when your team is so young.  This team is a couple of years away and the guys in the majors outplayed the minors and had nothing else to learn there.  And when Moncada, Anderson improve it's against the best talent now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

You come across as so intelligent but your points are empty calories.  Tim Anderson is a much better player this year than last year.  Moncada struggled but learned to take his lumps and get back out there.  Reynaldo Lopez was good even when his stuff wasn't.  You're not watching the same team as everyone else or you don't know what you're watching.

Striking out, walking, giving up runs are part of development when your team is so young.  This team is a couple of years away and the guys in the majors outplayed the minors and had nothing else to learn there.  And when Moncada, Anderson improve it's against the best talent now.

Not sure how you put a rosy gloss on setting two strikeout records. Moving YoMo to 3B does not appear to be imminent. Yet he is still a youngster. 

4 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

He's still a 2 WAR player despite his trouble and, you're right, he's a youngster.

My take is that TA and Yo are capable of being contributing members to a winning squad but not ready to lead the way. Perhaps EJ will draw some of the glare away from them next year. 

Just now, pcq said:

My take is that TA and Yo are capable of being contributing members to a winning squad but not ready to lead the way. Perhaps EJ will draw some of the glare away from them next year. 

So we're not that far off.  You said "Not ready" to lead.  I agree.  The stats bear that out.  I just have a problem with guys like Dick Allen making it sounds like there isn't any development happening here.  

But look at Javier Baez prior to this year.  Not much better than Moncada this year.  Baez broke out this year.  Moncada has a strikeout problem but he can break out of that.

42 minutes ago, pcq said:

Of course they aren't ready today. But that is why they are here and playing so that they can get here. I mean am I the only on who remembers what Javy Baez looked like when he got to the bigs? MLB is tough. Sometimes it takes a while.

5 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I can't wait till next year when it comes to Winston-Salem, Kannapolis, and Great Falls.   Birmingham should be better as well. 

The iceberg of talent will hit Birmingham next year. We have only seen the tip of the iceberg in Chicago so far.