Dear FO: Harper VS Machado, Soxtalk Will Help You Decide

Jerksticks

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why?  What are the terms of the deal?

I don't have the specifics, but I'd imagine whether they are in debt or not they could pay the loan off in whatever way they want and they really don't have to worry about covering payments. They could probably go 30-40 M in the luxury tax and still make money. The only teams that are better at it than the Cubs are the Yankees and Red Sox. That franchise just prints money. Win or lose, they fill the park up, and they really don't have to worry about things that other teams do. They are bad proof, recession proof, etc. It just seems like there will always be a market for Cubs tickets and merchandise. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I don't have the specifics, but I'd imagine whether they are in debt or not they could pay the loan off in whatever way they want and they really don't have to worry about covering payments. 

Deciding that they are paying off debt early in a period of rising interest rates is an interesting assumption.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Deciding that they are paying off debt early in a period of rising interest rates is an interesting assumption.

we don't know if they have a fixed or variable interest rate though. I'd imagine when you get to sums of money that large, they are actually variable to mitigate some of the risk for the lending institution. Knowing how wealthy people who borrow large sums of money work, that was a poor assumption. Where I was going with that is that they probably have nothing to worry about in making the loan payments. They could probably pay it off if they wanted to, but why would they when they could pocket that money and invest it in other areas. As long as they can cover the payments, that is probably all that matters to the Ricketts family. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

we don't know if they have a fixed or variable interest rate though. I'd imagine when you get to sums of money that large, they are actually variable to mitigate some of the risk for the lending institution. Knowing how wealthy people who borrow large sums of money work, that was a poor assumption. Where I was going with that is that they probably have nothing to worry about in making the loan payments. 

Typically there isn't the incentive to pay something off early.  More likely the partners are taking profit and returning capital to the organization versus chasing an early payoff.  Doing some quick googling it sounds like the interest on their debt alone was somewhere between $30 and $35 million on the bank financed portion alone.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Typically there isn't the incentive to pay something off early.  More likely the partners are taking profit and returning capital to the organization versus chasing an early payoff.  Doing some quick googling it sounds like the interest on their debt alone was somewhere between $30 and $35 million on the bank financed portion alone.

Actually doing some more reading, the Cubs purchase was basically formed as a tax dodge by the Ricketts and the debt absolutely can't be paid off before 2020 due to some IRS reasons.

Any thoughts/opinions regarding the Machado hustle drama of the NLCS? 

Right off the bat, we know how Ricky is. Machado claims himself to not be a "Johnny Hustle" type of player. 

It seems signing Machado would be putting Ricky in a tough spot, with his quick trigger on pulling players who aren't perceived to be hustling. If this is how Machado is, Ricky's gonna have to either loosen it up a bit, give preferential treatment to Machado, or treat him the same as everyone else. 

With how Machado sees himself, Rick Renteria himself could be an obstacle towards signing Machado. He might not want to sign somewhere where he is going to be benched for playing how he has played for his entire career. 

• Like 1

Listen to Machado talk about not being a guy who hustles: "That's just not the kind of player I am".  Wow!! 

All of those ex-player commentators made excuses for him. That's fine. I hope he signs somewhere else. I'm afraid that I'm just too "old school". It's hard enough to accept this entire culture of guys with their multi-million dollar, per year contracts, and their swinging for the fences, without having to listen to such prima donna BS. He is a talented player, but not my kind of player. He's just a little too "cool" and full of himself, for my taste, especially if he is going to cost $350 Million.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

Listen to Machado talk about not being a guy who hustles: "That's just not the kind of player I am".  Wow!! 

All of those ex-player commentators made excuses for him. That's fine. I hope he signs somewhere else. I'm afraid that I'm just too "old school". It's hard enough to accept this entire culture of guys with their multi-million dollar, per year contracts, and their swinging for the fences, without having to listen to such prima donna BS. He is a talented player, but not my kind of player. He's just a little too "cool" and full of himself, for my taste, especially if he is going to cost $350 Million.

Some modern players just don't have it in them to hustle out of the box to first. Some guys get mad when they hit a routine grounder and loaf. It shows up on occasion when there's a bobble. That's when Ricky yanks guys out of the game. Would he remove Machado from said game?

What do you guys think about the play, in the 13TH inning, in which he kicked Aguilar's ankle, at first base? Did it appear to be accidental, or intentional? Machado certainly didn't seem to be very apologetic about it, if it was an accident. Honestly, I haven't followed his career that closely, beyond looking at the stats, but now that he is being showcased, in the playoffs, he does not appear to be the kind of person, whom I find very endearing. 

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

What do you guys think about the play, in the 13TH inning, in which he kicked Aguilar's ankle, at first base? Did it appear to be accidental, or intentional? Machado certainly didn't seem to be very apologetic about it, if it was an accident. Honestly, I haven't followed his career that closely, beyond looking at the stats, but now that he is being showcased, in the playoffs, he does not appear to be the kind of person, whom I find very endearing. 

Saw a lot of Dodgers fan on Facebook hoping they wouldn't re-sign him. They mentioned his attitude and way he plays the game.

He honestly doesn't seen like the kind of guy who would sign here unless we outbid the next offer from a competitor by a solid $20mill at least. Also seems like the kind of player who would sign a massive contract and coast. Not sure hes the type of guy you give the big contract to.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

Any player signed for the kind of money that Machado will likely get, should become the face of the franchise. He is not the kind of person, whom I would want to be the face of the White Sox. One of the things that has held and reinforced my allegiance to the Sox, over the years, is that the team has historically fielded a lot of "good" people. Machado does not appear to be a guy who would fit that mold. There have to be better ways to spend that kind of money.

19 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Any player signed for the kind of money that Machado will likely get, should become the face of the franchise. He is not the kind of person, whom I would want to be the face of the White Sox. One of the things that has held and reinforced my allegiance to the Sox, over the years, is that the team has historically fielded a lot of "good" people. Machado does not appear to be a guy who would fit that mold. There have to be better ways to spend that kind of money.

Yeah if they're going to sign someone for the money he is going to get, you better be playing at 110%, 100% of the time.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

He's going to have plenty of suitors, and a few teams that will actually be able to afford him.  However, he's not doing himself any favors behaving the way he is in the limelight when he's ready to get that big contract.  Some team will pay...a lot, but there may be fewer teams willing to do so now.

I really wonder after last night, given that JR watches all these games closely, if he may be having a serious conversation with Kenny and Hahn over Machado now. I didn't think the Sox had a chance for him but again after the antics JR may be saying, "no way...move along from this head case." 

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

He's going to have plenty of suitors, and a few teams that will actually be able to afford him.  However, he's not doing himself any favors behaving the way he is in the limelight when he's ready to get that big contract.  Some team will pay...a lot, but there may be fewer teams willing to do so now.

To me, it seems he knows he’s going to the Yankees and doesn’t care how he’s perceived right now. 

Guy just plays with a chip on his shoulder.  Is he a bit of a douche?  Yah.  But sometimes teams need guys like that, and I think the Sox are one of them.  

If anything, I could see this hampering his market a bit.  In the end, I doubt it does, but from the Sox standpoint, it can't hurt.  

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I really wonder after last night, given that JR watches all these games closely, if he may be having a serious conversation with Kenny and Hahn over Machado now. I didn't think the Sox had a chance for him but again after the antics JR may be saying, "no way...move along from this head case." 

JR signed Albert Belle.  Told Krause to get Dennis RodmanI don't think acting like an ass would make him flinch. What could make him flinch is his comments about hustling. To be honest with you, it would make me wonder exactly how locked in he will be once he gets $300 million guaranteed. But it isn't my money. Sign him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Guy just plays with a chip on his shoulder.  Is he a bit of a douche?  Yah.  But sometimes teams need guys like that, and I think the Sox are one of them.  

If anything, I could see this hampering his market a bit.  In the end, I doubt it does, but from the Sox standpoint, it can't hurt.  

"Plays with a chip on his shoulder"? That's how you describea guy who says he doesn't want to hustle?

Edited by soxfan2014

Give me Harper.  I have always just thought he was the superior player, the better hitter at least.  Even in a great year (his best) for Machado and a bad year for Harper there was only a .16 advantage to Manny in OPS.  Harper's best has been significantly better than Machado's and Machado's worst has been worse than Harper's.  

Yeah, Manny gives the Sox something they need in terms of a 3B, but Harper gives them a dangerous LH bat.  He also gives them a guy gets on base with hits and walks.  

And not that this plays really a role at all, but boy I haven't liked what I have seen out of Machado in these playoffs.  Not just that he has been dirty, which he certainly has in my opinion, but what makes it even worse is that his dirtiness has been very stupid, and has hurt his team, and could have hurt it worse.  He hasn't looked like a guy that understands the situation.  At least, he hasn't looked to me like a guy you want to rely upon.

I agree, "Turnin' two". A left handed bat is a more important hole to fill, on the Sox core roster, going forward. I'm not worried about 3RD. I still think that Moncada ends up there, and Madrigal takes over at second, which is his best position, when this team is ready to compete. Harper is a much higher on base percentage hitter, as well. Moreover, I've never heard anything negative about Bryce's character.