Dear FO: Harper VS Machado, Soxtalk Will Help You Decide

Jerksticks

“Did (Machado) go outside the rules? Yeah. Did he kick Aguilar’s foot? Yeah. But is he dirty? Was he trying to hurt the guy? For me, the definition of dirty is when you’re trying to hurt a guy. I don’t think he was trying to hurt him. He was more trying to send a message to him like, ‘Get out of my way,’ which I understand. I don’t know if you can call that dirty. I’d just call that dumb,” said Pierzynski

a-fucking-men

After Machado's latest antics, it might be appropriate to continue this discussion. Not running out the long fly ball, which ended up bouncing off the wall, for a single and then stepping on Pearce's heel, at first base, have only reinforced this young man's public profile. Does anyone want to defend his actions? My mind is open, but I have to confess that I still don't want this player to be the face of the franchise. If a player's character is not important to you, I respect that. I'm more interested in hearing arguments which might explain Machado's behavior in a way that excuses it. If his antics do not indeed demonstrate some significant character flaws, I'd be interested to hear the rationale.

Character is important, but talent generally trumps everything.  Dick Allen has said it before, but the kid is not a wife beater or sexual assaulter, he’s just a somewhat dirty baseball player.  We can’t afford to be overly picky when it comes to signing a star or we’ll simply reduce our odds of landing one.  I can see an argument for prioritizing Harper over Machado, but to pass on Manny altogether because of these “issues” would be very short-sighted IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Character is important, but talent generally trumps everything.  Dick Allen has said it before, but the kid is not a wife beater or sexual assaulter, he’s just a somewhat dirty baseball player.  We can’t afford to be overly picky when it comes to signing a star or we’ll simply reduce our odds of landing one.  I can see an argument for prioritizing Harper over Machado, but to pass on Manny altogether because of these “issues” would be very short-sighted IMO.

As I stated; "If a player's character is not important to you, I respect that." My question regards what defense one might offer, for his behavior.

There are issues here, which go beyond his being a "dirty player". There is the lack of hustle, and whatever one might call things such as standing at home plate, celebrating a home run, which turns out to bounce off the wall. Please explain to me why these antics do not reflect poor character.

This kind of behavior sets a very bad example for teammates, especially younger players. Do we really want Machado to be a role model for guys like Moncada and Jimenez? I can only imagine what negative effect becoming an extraordinarily wealthy man might have on such a person. If we think he's a jerk now, wait til he becomes the highest paid player, in the history of sports. This seems to me, like an equation for disaster.

Edited by Lillian
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lillian said:

As I stated; "If a player's character is not important to you, I respect that." My question regards what defense one might offer, for his behavior.

There is nothing to defend though.  He’s clearly a dirty baseball player who occasionally doesn’t hustle.  What kind of defense are you looking for exactly?  That he’s young & immature or something like that?

This is Machado's 6th season in the majors so at 26 he should be as mature as he is going to get from a player standpoint.  I find it strange he has shown some instances of not hustling in playoff games. He is very vocal on the bench which is a positive. I think he is a stud player with some warts which is not uncommon in this day and age in every sport. The Red Sox saw Chris Sale cut up basbeall jerseys and still paid out plenty  to get him.  

I still think Machado stays in LA especially if they fall short in the World Series. But I have no clue if Machado has worn his welcome out there w management. 

I think most Sox fans agree with the heartbeat. the question is the money.  $400 million could be the number for the winner which looks more like Machado than Harper.  Team like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers can spend a huge amount on a player because they have enough good pieces already in place to compete. They also can afford a mistake if the player only turns out to be good not great (i.e Arod in NY and  David Price in Boston)

The White Sox might better waiting to 2021 to see when the next wave arrives where the holes are and spending on  2 or 3-- $100 Mil players( JD Martinez type). 

You guys already know how I feel about him. I was just curious if someone was going to try to defend his behavior. So far, I haven't seen anyone do that. It seems to be a question of whether, or not, you think that it matters that he is a jerk. It is just worth remembering that we have to root for the team, whether they win, or lose. That could be a real challenge, with a guy like him, on the team.

Sure, I'd be tempted to overlook his character, in exchange for a World Series trophy. I just wouidn't enjoy having to root for him, in a season that fell short of the Playoffs. Also, keep in mind that while some of us might not care about his character, there is the team to consider. We have a lot of young prospects, and it would be a shame if they ended up emulating his behavior. He is not a good role model.

In any case, it seems very unlikely that he signs with the our Sox, even if the front office makes an effort to acquire him.

5 hours ago, SCCWS said:

This is Machado's 6th season in the majors so at 26 he should be as mature as he is going to get from a player standpoint.  I find it strange he has shown some instances of not hustling in playoff games. He is very vocal on the bench which is a positive. I think he is a stud player with some warts which is not uncommon in this day and age in every sport. The Red Sox saw Chris Sale cut up basbeall jerseys and still paid out plenty  to get him.  

I still think Machado stays in LA especially if they fall short in the World Series. But I have no clue if Machado has worn his welcome out there w management. 

Do you really think that Sale's defiant gesture of cutting up the jerseys is comparable to Machado's behavior? I personally don't. 

25 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The odds are tremendously titled towards that happening unfortunately. 

Why is that Lip?  I think Uncle Jerry understands adding one of these mega-stars would bring significant value to the organization.  Not only in terms of increased ticket sales, but more importantly an increase in TV ratings right before they need to negotiate their new deal.  Another 100 loss season filled a bunch of fringe major leaguers will result in poor fan interest and likely cost them a lot of money in the process.  Now is not the time he frugal and I truly believe Reinsdorf understands that.  Add a legit star and a few vets on short-term deals and this team suddenly becomes that more watchable.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is that Lip?  I think Uncle Jerry understands adding one of these mega-stars would bring significant value to the organization.  Not only in terms of increased ticket sales, but more importantly an increase in TV ratings right before they need to negotiate their new deal.  Another 100 loss season filled a bunch of fringe major leaguers will result in poor fan interest and likely cost them a lot of money in the process.  Now is not the time he frugal and I truly believe Reinsdorf understands that.  Add a legit star and a few vets on short-term deals and this team suddenly becomes that more watchable.

Because I personally don't believe either Harper or Machado has even the slightest interest in the White Sox unless...unless the Sox offer is significantly and highly over the top compared to other club offers. Teams that can actually win now (not potentially in two-three years), have large scale marketing opportunities for said player (the Sox are so far off the board in Chicago they basically don't even register) and present an environment that is stable in the relative long term (say the next three to five years. With the age of JR, should new ownership come into play, who knows what could happen to the franchise) those are the teams I think they will listen to.

Yea JR understands but it's not up to him. It takes two to make a deal and I just don't think those guys basically care a tinker's cuss (ya like that phrase? LOL) right now about the White Sox.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1