White Sox will pick 3rd in 2019

flavum

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Yea.. talk to me when he's doing it at higher levels. Great start for him so far, but I've been following prospects a long time here and seen plenty of flameouts too. 

Too early to call the Beer hype worthy or misplaced. That’s all I’m sayin. 

Considering Houston picked him, I’m guessing he’ll become a star.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 10:02 PM, ChiSox59 said:

A 1st baseman?  

He is a first baseman and he is also short (5"11) and right handed but he can really hit. Not huge raw power but enough to hit 25-30 bombs.

I think he would be a slight stretch at 3 but his ceiling basically is jose abreu with a better glove which is intriguing.

7 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Not a particularly high ceiling for a #3 pick.

I would prefer rutschmann too but if  you don't get him vaughn has a very high floor. He likely isn't going to be a 5+ war player but he is very likely at least an average everyday 1b with a good chance for more.

Abreu with a better glove is basically a 4.5 win player (using the average abreu season) so that is a very decent ceiling.

How big is the difference between an Abreu like player and a really dominant player? I'm just pondering a guy like Freddie Freeman, who was a 3-5 WAR, 18-23 HR per year, .800-.900 OPS guy, much like Abreu, but then suddenly in '16 Freeman broke out, hit 10 more HR, pushed that OPS near 1.000 and suddenly was an MVP candidate. 

13 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

He is a first baseman and he is also short (5"11) and right handed but he can really hit. Not huge raw power but enough to hit 25-30 bombs.

I think he would be a slight stretch at 3 but his ceiling basically is jose abreu with a better glove which is intriguing.

Guessing Vaughn will be a candidate for a position change as a pro. Was a HS shortstop/pitcher who has also thrown a bit at Cal. He appears to have a 3rd baseman build with a strong arm. The WS could use help at 1st and/or 3rd.

57 minutes ago, bryank1202 said:

Why draft a 1b when u can buy a free agent 1b who can hit 30-40 hr 100 rbi for around 10-12 million.

Who? Go check out the contract Eric Hosmer somehow got last offseason. Or Carlos Santana who hits 20 some home runs and got 3/$60. I guess you could be referring to Yonder Alonso? 

7 hours ago, Flash said:

Guessing Vaughn will be a candidate for a position change as a pro. Was a HS shortstop/pitcher who has also thrown a bit at Cal. He appears to have a 3rd baseman build with a strong arm. The WS could use help at 1st and/or 3rd.

No. There was never a college first baseman switching to third in pro ball. In fact most college 3b can't play third in the majors. Most college 1B did play other positions in HS.

He is a solid glove 1B which is fine.

I’m not a fan of the idea of using the third overall pick in the draft to select a DH. 

I think the Sox system really lacks athletes and could use more up the middle talent, even after signing Robert and drafting Madrigal and Walker with their first two picks this past season. 

14 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I would prefer rutschmann too but if  you don't get him vaughn has a very high floor. He likely isn't going to be a 5+ war player but he is very likely at least an average everyday 1b with a good chance for more.

Abreu with a better glove is basically a 4.5 win player (using the average abreu season) so that is a very decent ceiling.

If Abreu w/glove is the ceiling, then the most likely outcome is less than that.  Plus, for whatever reason,  we used our first 2 picks on 1B/DH in 2017.   Unfortunately, neither looks particularly imposing.

4 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I’m not a fan of the idea of using the third overall pick in the draft to select a DH. 

I think the Sox system really lacks athletes and could use more up the middle talent, even after signing Robert and drafting Madrigal and Walker with their first two picks this past season. 

Completely agree with you. You try to draft players up the middle athletic type players. Sox can then have the flexibility of positional changes or making trades if you have an influx at a certain position. 

I think it was dominik who made the point previously that vaughn maybe one of those players that is advanced now (and good), but the lack of athleticism and positional versatility means he could hit a ceiling that others catch up to and surpass.

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I am a fan of drafting the guy that makes the biggest difference.  If that is a 1B that mashes, then I am happy about it.  If it is a HS SS that has all the potential in the world, I'm happy about it.  

Aside from Eloy (and does anyone really care about his defense at this point???), the Sox are really lacking in power bats in the minors.  I wouldn't be opposed to Vaughn at all. 

19 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I am a fan of drafting the guy that makes the biggest difference.  If that is a 1B that mashes, then I am happy about it.  If it is a HS SS that has all the potential in the world, I'm happy about it.  

Aside from Eloy (and does anyone really care about his defense at this point???), the Sox are really lacking in power bats in the minors.  I wouldn't be opposed to Vaughn at all. 

There's obviously a ton of time between now and the draft. I highly doubt we use a top 5 selection on a college 1B. We should be looking for top end college pitching, or an up the middle player. Picking that high you try to select BPA, regardless of position. 

11 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

There's obviously a ton of time between now and the draft. I highly doubt we use a top 5 selection on a college 1B. We should be looking for top end college pitching, or an up the middle player. Picking that high you try to select BPA, regardless of position. 

The last sentence of your post seems to contradict the rest of it. 

9 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

The last sentence of your post seems to contradict the rest of it. 

If the 1B is truly the BPA then we consider it, but I doubt that becomes the case is what I meant. The draft would have to be pretty thin for me to be considering a 1B/DH that high up. 

We should be looking for pitching or up the middle talent. I wouldn't be against a premium high school talent either. 

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

If the 1B is truly the BPA then we consider it, but I doubt that becomes the case is what I meant. The draft would have to be pretty thin for me to be considering a 1B/DH that high up. 

We should be looking for pitching or up the middle talent. I wouldn't be against a premium high school talent either. 

There is 1 middle IF in the 500 HR club.  And even he, (Ernie Banks) played more games as a 1B than as a SS.  Discounting a premium bat just because of his position, I think is foolish.  It is certainly the trend to not consider guys as premium if they are a corner OF or 1B, but those are the positions where most of the best hitters in the history of the game have played.  I completely get that you can always move a guy down the defensive spectrum, but passing on a guy because he plays 1st is weird, because, well you need someone to play there and if you can get a premium hitter, all the better.

23 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

There is 1 middle IF in the 500 HR club.  And even he, (Ernie Banks) played more games as a 1B than as a SS.  Discounting a premium bat just because of his position, I think is foolish.  It is certainly the trend to not consider guys as premium if they are a corner OF or 1B, but those are the positions where most of the best hitters in the history of the game have played.  I completely get that you can always move a guy down the defensive spectrum, but passing on a guy because he plays 1st is weird, because, well you need someone to play there and if you can get a premium hitter, all the better.

Sure, but from a value standpoint I'd rather look elsewhere than 1B/DH with a top 5 pick. 

There is so much time for players not on the radar right now to emerge that it is difficult to assess much. Sox typically are linked to more developed college prospects vs. high school talent that is 4-5 years away from the majors.