White Sox will pick 3rd in 2019

flavum

14 hours ago, fathom said:

It was Singer-esque. Anyone that second guesses the Sox taking Rodon when he was available should just following baseball.

I see your point.  Rodon had all the appearances of being the best pitcher in that draft, and all of a sudden he is available at #3.  Rodon's agent was Scott Boros.  I always wondered if Sox had a pre-draft dialogue with either Boros or Rodon.  After the draft, Boros was very difficult, holding up the signing as long as possible, getting way over slot for Rodon, and then trying as hard as possible to get more, even if it would have put Sox in penalty position.  So, I don't second guess drafting Rodon per se,  but I do second guess drafting a client of Scott Boros with that high of a pick.  I hope they don't do it again.

33 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I see your point.  Rodon had all the appearances of being the best pitcher in that draft, and all of a sudden he is available at #3.  Rodon's agent was Scott Boros.  I always wondered if Sox had a pre-draft dialogue with either Boros or Rodon.  After the draft, Boros was very difficult, holding up the signing as long as possible, getting way over slot for Rodon, and then trying as hard as possible to get more, even if it would have put Sox in penalty position.  So, I don't second guess drafting Rodon per se,  but I do second guess drafting a client of Scott Boros with that high of a pick.  I hope they don't do it again.

If a Boras player was the clear best option at #3 I would totally draft one again. If Rodon had actually turned into an Ace, we wouldn't care at all that his agent was Boras right now, having to sign him for extra money didn't hurt the White Sox's ability to target other guys, and Hell, in little Ricky's brilliant maneuvering they gave up their #2 and #3 draft picks that year for the amazing rewards of Robertson and Cabrera. Even though we're terrible, if Rodon was actually a strong pitcher he'd be readily tradeable right now. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

What is funny is that we all make fun of the Astros for picking Aiken 1st OA in 2014. If the Astros would have picked Rodon, I'd bet you the Sox would have picked Nola. That was the rumor going around, at least. Of those two pitchers, who would you rather have now? I thought so. 

Right, and 24 teams passed on Trout, etc. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

You should be picking BPA with every pick

Not necessarily. Sometimes if you place a similar value on players internally you can opt for a below slot deal that helps your draft as a whole. 

Everything is relative to the situation