Who stays?...who goes??

Lip Man 1

16 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is basically a 0% chance that Ruiz and Vieria are "gone".  They may not be with the Sox to start 2018, but barring trade, will most definitely be in the organization as both were just added to the 40 man this year and have plenty of options.  Cordell and Tilson are borderline and could go either way. 

I'd be shocked if LaMarre is in the organization come the Winter Meetings.  This guy is not a long term piece, and while he was decent with the Sox this year, there is no reason to keep him around IMO.  

Also, DelmonicO has at least 1 option left, so he definitely isn't getting "released".  

I like their arms but if 40 man roster space needs to be cleared, and I suspect it will, they could find themselves getting chopped.

I can't see Cordell or Tilson staying, it depends who is brought in and who is protected in the Rule 5 but both of them have to be candidates to go, especially with the crowded outfield we have.

With LaMarre, why not? He hit really well this year, better than most of the chaff we've kept. Why would you give up a batter that hit .303. He's earned another year. As for long term, why not? He's hit, I know that 33 games is a small sample, but that is promising. You are all for keeping garbage like Cordell about but ready to release LaMarre who hit .303.

As for Delmonico, I didn't know he had an option. I could see that being used next year to make room for Eloy on the 25 man.

5 hours ago, glangon said:

I like their arms but if 40 man roster space needs to be cleared, and I suspect it will, they could find themselves getting chopped.

I can't see Cordell or Tilson staying, it depends who is brought in and who is protected in the Rule 5 but both of them have to be candidates to go, especially with the crowded outfield we have.

With LaMarre, why not? He hit really well this year, better than most of the chaff we've kept. Why would you give up a batter that hit .303. He's earned another year. As for long term, why not? He's hit, I know that 33 games is a small sample, but that is promising. You are all for keeping garbage like Cordell about but ready to release LaMarre who hit .303.

As for Delmonico, I didn't know he had an option. I could see that being used next year to make room for Eloy on the 25 man.

Ryan LaMarre is a 30 year old journeyman with a career .238/.283/.322 slashline (albeit in a fairly limited number of ML plate appearances).  He's played for 5 major league teams in 4 seasons.  He is definition of a AAAA fodder and at best an injury fill-in for a couple weeks at the major league level.  His solid 71 plate appearance sample with the Sox doesn't change any of that.  

Cordell really struggled this season after being injured for the majority of the past 2 seasons.  But he actually has some upside and versatility, and was in demand across the league as recently as last winter. The Sox may not keep Cordell around (I think thye will), but they aren't going to remove him from the 40 man to keep Ryan LaMarre. 

10 hours ago, glangon said:

I will mark progress on my kitchen bb when Adam Engel is no longer our everyday CF. Those other schlubs can play at Charlotte until they get squeezed out. Maybe Lamarre is worth another look. 

• Like 1