Moncada hopes to stay at 2b

southsider2k5

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You keep saying Altuve is on roids and no one says anything. So what makes you say that ? I know you don't have any proof so why hasn't he been busted ? Is the MLB drug policy a sham ? Do they overlook superstars and just bust guys like Castillo . How does Cano get busted then? Are other drugs easier to catch than steriods ? Are the people who produce the steroids better at masking them than MLB is at finding the abusers ?

I'm of the opinion that probably half of pro athletes, if not more, are on steroids of some kind. The roiders will always be ahead of the testers. The tests they develop are modeled after they figure out the cocktails athletes are on, which keeps the athletes one step ahead. Altuve is just an obvious choice. Guys that small don't suddenly become power hitters. 

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You keep saying Altuve is on roids and no one says anything. So what makes you say that ? I know you don't have any proof so why hasn't he been busted ? Is the MLB drug policy a sham ? Do they overlook superstars and just bust guys like Castillo . How does Cano get busted then? Are other drugs easier to catch than steriods ? Are the people who produce the steroids better at masking them than MLB is at finding the abusers ?

That is what he believes. Every time someone gets caught, a new masking agent appears. It works for a while, until MLB drug testers beat that one, and so on. He believes the roiders are one step ahead of the MLB Anti-Doping agency. 

42 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That is what he believes. Every time someone gets caught, a new masking agent appears. It works for a while, until MLB drug testers beat that one, and so on. He believes the roiders are one step ahead of the MLB Anti-Doping agency. 

It only makes sense. It's a multi-billion dollar business. Probably all of the NFL, Boxing, MMA and Cycling are juicing. Most of baseball and hockey. All olympic sports. Watching the movie Icarus and getting into powerlifting have really changed my opinion of what the human body is naturally capable of doing. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They also got some luck with Aguilar (waiver claim ) and Thames. Or is that just good scouting ? Sox in a rebuild can't seem to find hidden gems as well as other teams.

I haven't done a deep dive on this subject but guys like Muncy and Taylor with the Dodgers and Mikolas with the Cards  and has to be some  Oakland A's in there. They reamed the Brewers in the Khris Davis trade a few years ago. Scooter Gennett was a another waiver claim for the Reds also from the Brewers. Joey Wendle and Mallex Smith are parts of the revolving door of players that came to Tampa Bay in trades.

I don't think it was luck with Aguilar. Sure, he was best of the bunch. But they made a point of using it and found some really good talent including our own Junior Guerra

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/milwaukee-brewers-make-use-of-waiver-wire/c-222657522

I would take brewers FO in a freakin heartbeat over ours.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't think it was luck with Aguilar. Sure, he was best of the bunch. But they made a point of using it and found some really good talent including our own Junior Guerra

https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/milwaukee-brewers-make-use-of-waiver-wire/c-222657522

I would take brewers FO in a freakin heartbeat over ours.

That last sentence you said was my whole point. We are just not discovering enough talent be it trades or the draft so far  But we seem to be very good at hanging onto our wonderful  ML talent to evaluate them.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2018 at 2:31 PM, TaylorStSox said:

I'm of the opinion that probably half of pro athletes, if not more, are on steroids of some kind. The roiders will always be ahead of the testers. The tests they develop are modeled after they figure out the cocktails athletes are on, which keeps the athletes one step ahead. Altuve is just an obvious choice. Guys that small don't suddenly become power hitters. 

If everyone is on them, why not assume Madrigal will be too and develop the same power?

7 minutes ago, Special K said:

Fair point.  And then he'd be awesome like Altuve.  

Even without steroids, there is plenty of potential increase in strength, in a 21 year old body. Hit the weights hard, in the off season, especially the lower body and the trunk. Stronger hands and wrist are also incredibly valuable "tools".

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I could give a fuck about where Moncada plays, IF he can fucking strike out less than ~30% of his PAs next year.

Regrettably, I don't know who will "coach him up," given the incompetence and enabling of this coaching staff and FO, respectively.

It’s like Tim Anderson didn’t take huge strides this year. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

It’s like Tim Anderson didn’t take huge strides this year. 

I like Anderson . He improved at the plate but I wouldn't said "huge strides" .  His walks went up but in all honesty they were pitiful last year. His power numbers jumped up  but his average fell 17 points. Strike-outs improved as well. Overall his OPS jumped to 687 from 679 so it is progress.  

Funny watching Semien the other night, the announcers talked about  how his defense has improved so much. I immediately thought of Anderson and that we should be patient w his defense. His D-war jumped this year so he is getting there. 

Edited by SCCWS

7 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I like Anderson . He improved at the plate but I wouldn't said "huge strides" .  His walks went up but in all honesty they were pitiful last year. His power numbers jumped up  but his average fell 17 points. Strike-outs improved as well. Overall his OPS jumped to 687 from 679 so it is progress.  

Funny watching Semien the other night, the announcers talked about  how his defense has improved so much. I immediately thought of Anderson and that we should be patient w his defense. His D-war jumped this year so he is getting there. 

I don't know what the stats say about Anderson's defense, but I will say that any stat that says it's bad, or even average, is a stupid stat. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I don't know what the stats say about Anderson's defense, but I will say that any stat that says it's bad, or even average, is a stupid stat. 

He has above average range but also makes an above average number of errors. So his DWar makes him pretty average. Obviously errors is not the greatest stat but his number on total chances is one of the highest % in MLB. 

• 1 month later...

Moncada has too many strikeouts....way too many.  Madrigal is just the opposite.  A big part of his game is getting the  bat on the ball.

If Moncada keeps taking third strikes and generally having too many strike-outs, he probably should not be in the starting lineup.

Madrigal, even without great HR power. is what is needed in our line-up.

Most pf us have not seen that much of Madrigal. I only saw him in the college  playoffs and college World Series.

I look forward to reading everyone's opinion after we have all seen players like Madrigal and Robert in the Spring.  Some of us might be singing a different tune about these prospects, when they will be ready, and what their upside might be.  If you are baseball addicted like me, you are already counting the days until ST.

11 minutes ago, tray said:

Moncada has too many strikeouts....way too many.  Madrigal is just the opposite.  A big part of his game is getting the  bat on the ball.

If Moncada keeps taking third strikes and generally having too many strike-outs, he probably should not be in the starting lineup.

Madrigal, even without great HR power. is what is needed in our line-up.

Most pf us have not seen that much of Madrigal. I only saw him in the college  playoffs and college World Series.

I look forward to reading everyone's opinion after we have all seen players like Madrigal and Robert in the Spring.  Some of us might be singing a different tune about these prospects, when they will be ready, and what their upside might be.  If you are baseball addicted like me, you are already counting the days until ST.

I think people put waaay too much emphasis on strikeouts. They're just another out. People should put emphasis on making  fewer outs, however they may accomplish it. Moncada walks a decent amount, has shown he can hit at every level in the minors despite the Ks. Give him time, and he should be just fine. I'd rather have Moncada than Juan Pierre 7 days of the week including twice on Sunday. Making fewer outs leads to fewer balls in play and more strikeouts. It isn't rocket science people. I know that it makes for a more boring game to some of you, but I like it just fine. :)

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think people put waaay too much emphasis on strikeouts. They're just another out. People should put emphasis on making  fewer outs, however they may accomplish it. Moncada walks a decent amount, has shown he can hit at every level in the minors despite the Ks. Give him time, and he should be just fine. I'd rather have Moncada than Juan Pierre 7 days of the week including twice on Sunday. Making fewer outs leads to fewer balls in play and more strikeouts. It isn't rocket science people. I know that it makes for a more boring game to some of you, but I like it just fine. :)

I don’t agree. I read in MLB there were 11;000 less balls in play this year than in 2008. Make the opposition field the ball, and some will find a hole on their own.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I disagree as well.

From an entertainment standpoint, MLB has a big problem with too many Ks.

From a White Sox standpoint, this offense has too many Ks, I believe leading the league.

From a Moncada standpoint, his game has too many Ks, I believe leading the league. Too bad no one could have seen that coming, and maybe brought him along slower, right? [/green]

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I disagree as well.

From an entertainment standpoint, MLB has a big problem with too many Ks.

From a White Sox standpoint, this offense has too many Ks, I believe leading the league.

From a Moncada standpoint, his game has too many Ks, I believe leading the league. Too bad no one could have seen that coming, and maybe brought him along slower, right? [/green]

I want my team to win. Studies have shown this approach leads to more wins. If your team loses more games, but is "more entertaining" while doing it is it really worth it? Wins>everything when it comes to putting butts in seats, unless you're the Cubs. 

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I want my team to win. Studies have shown this approach leads to more wins. If your team loses more games, but is "more entertaining" while doing it is it really worth it? Wins>everything when it comes to putting butts in seats, unless you're the Cubs. 

6 of the bottom 8 teams in strikeouts made the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2