Moncada hopes to stay at 2b

southsider2k5

• 1 month later...

Not really psyched about Moncada yet or what his path to success might entail. I think 2020 will be his make or break season. I am getting psyched for TA transitioning into a productive hitter. In spite of a .687 OPS having 51 extra base hits and 64 rbi is not bad for a shortstop along with his 26 SB. More contact and less K's might be the missing pieces for TA who is a free swinger we all know. I do not see how a move to 3B would help Moncada at this point. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Crazy to to think that Timmy busts out with a Javy Baez 2018 type of year? Maybe not as much power but just as exciting of a player on the field?

He might be good for 25 dingers but he is quite an athlete. 

On 2/9/2019 at 3:05 PM, bmags said:

Tim is so electric on the basepaths I just want to see him on there more often

I agree.  It looks incredibly  effortless when he is going 1st to 3rd in a flash.

Re Moncada :  He did not want to play third for the Red Sox .  Now  he continues to express a strong preference to play second.   Whether Machado signs with the WSox or not, I think Moncada should be tried at third base.  Otherwise, he could be blocking Madrigal.

26 minutes ago, tray said:

I agree.  It looks incredibly  effortless when he is going 1st to 3rd in a flash.

Re Moncada :  He did not want to play third for the Red Sox .  Now  he continues to express a strong preference to play second.   Whether Machado signs with the WSox or not, I think Moncada should be tried at third base.  Otherwise, he could be blocking Madrigal.

So if Machado is playing third base, you still want Moncada to be moved to third base? Wouldn't Machado then be blocking Moncada? 

26 minutes ago, tray said:

Not sure he would.  Madrigal can play any infield position. A shortstop in high school. Recruited to be an infielder in college. 

On 12/10/2018 at 7:04 PM, turnin' two said:

I haven't really seen too much of his mechanics, but unless he has the worst named thing in sports, the inverted W (seriously, that is just an M), his mechanics weren't the problem.

Other than the M, mechanics don't seem to have a correlation to TJ.  You know what does have an incredibly strong tie to TJ?  High velocity.  

Dropping the arm angle too low is a mechanical issue that can lead to UCL injuries. But today it is the velocity and % of fastball usage.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

So if Machado is playing third base, you still want Moncada to be moved to third base? Wouldn't Machado then be blocking Moncada? 

Interesting question to ponder..  I think if Machado signs with the WSox AND agrees to play third (which i doubt) I still think Moncada could be blocking Madrigal at second if, as it turns out, Moncada strikes out 200+ times this season, flubs too many routine plays, and Madrigal looks like he can be a tremendous on base hitter with plus defensive skills. 

21 hours ago, tray said:

Interesting question to ponder..  I think if Machado signs with the WSox AND agrees to play third (which i doubt) I still think Moncada could be blocking Madrigal at second if, as it turns out, Moncada strikes out 200+ times this season, flubs too many routine plays, and Madrigal looks like he can be a tremendous on base hitter with plus defensive skills. 

I think everyone would agree that this would an amazing problem to have, however Moncada is still raw, in my opinion has way too much upside to say he is blocking Madrigal who still is unproven in his own right. Cross that bridge when we come to it and pray that it does become an issue of who to play at what position 

12 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

Ugh, who writes these things. Yes, he's going to be squeezed by Yolmer Sanchez and Tim Anderson and the interest in Manny Machado is a sign we have no confidence in him...because all of them are quality 2b right now. 

At least check who our bleeping first round pick was and write it the correct way.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 6:56 PM, SoxFanForever said:

I noticed this on my gmail home page Wednesday morning and thought, WTF?  Then I noticed the trash site that wrote it and I didn't even bother clicking it to see what they had to say. 

Every player is different but TA shows a will to work through his problems along with bringing his natural skills to the game. I have no idea where Moncada is headed or what happens if he is unable to improve.  We had two guys lead the league in three negative stats. I have concerns that Gio and Yoan have been over-coached and it is not helping them.