NL Wild Card game Thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Yep rumors a few months ago that he could be out if something like this happened.

Just imagine, Rick Renteria could make getting replaced by Joe Maddon part of his interview..."Hire me and in 3 years you'll be hiring Joe Maddon!"

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Now they all think they're getting Harper and he'll save the day

At first I thought the Cubs were too smart of that, as is would likely cost them a couple of their younger players.  Now, with Russell likely done in a Cub uniform, they might as well try to get Machado, really.

They are also Jason Heyward for five more years and Yu Darvish for five more years and Tyler Chatwood for two more years. The three will make more than $50 million next season alone. They are a team that preaches culture – and still has a player in the middle of a must-win game sitting in the clubhouse and scrolling through an iPad, much to the chagrin of others in the dugout who were living and dying with every pitch. They are in that awkward place where they need to start considering the future as well as the present, lest the latter bleed into the former and cause the chaos spiral of other successful franchises that lost sight of their window and watched it slam on their fingers.

The sentiment in the clubhouse, at least, was that wholesale change would be unnecessary. “I honestly don’t anticipate a lot,” Maddon said, and his sentiments were echoed by those who saw the injuries to Darvish and Bryant and closer Brandon Morrow and imagined how much better a 95-win team would be with them at full strength. And that’s true, all well and good in a hypothetical world, but injury-free seasons are a pipe dream, and such considerations must be baked in to any rational assessment of the future.

Baez talked about the Cubs needing to play more as a team, and, OK, fine. That may be true, but it’s too difficult to quantify for anyone outside of the room to know. And Heyward said the season wasn’t a success because the Cubs didn’t pop any bottles in celebration, which, sure, even if the reality that October is a crapshoot renders most World Series-or-bust sentiment just blather. And Rizzo planted his flag for Maddon, saying that “without his leadership, guys aren’t playing the way they play” and that “Joe’s best year was this year as far as managing all the moving parts,” which doesn’t sound like the sort of talk from a guy who expects to be playing for a new manager next year, even if the Cubs do have as much cover as they ever will should they move to replace him.

“I love this team,” Rizzo said. “I’ve loved this team from Day 1. We lost to teams that were better than us. That’s all you can say. We fell short.”

Arenado, Baez share hug at third

27 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

?

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They are also Jason Heyward for five more years and Yu Darvish for five more years and Tyler Chatwood for two more years. The three will make more than $50 million next season alone. They are a team that preaches culture – and still has a player in the middle of a must-win game sitting in the clubhouse and scrolling through an iPad, much to the chagrin of others in the dugout who were living and dying with every pitch. They are in that awkward place where they need to start considering the future as well as the present, lest the latter bleed into the former and cause the chaos spiral of other successful franchises that lost sight of their window and watched it slam on their fingers.

The sentiment in the clubhouse, at least, was that wholesale change would be unnecessary. “I honestly don’t anticipate a lot,” Maddon said, and his sentiments were echoed by those who saw the injuries to Darvish and Bryant and closer Brandon Morrow and imagined how much better a 95-win team would be with them at full strength. And that’s true, all well and good in a hypothetical world, but injury-free seasons are a pipe dream, and such considerations must be baked in to any rational assessment of the future.

Baez talked about the Cubs needing to play more as a team, and, OK, fine. That may be true, but it’s too difficult to quantify for anyone outside of the room to know. And Heyward said the season wasn’t a success because the Cubs didn’t pop any bottles in celebration, which, sure, even if the reality that October is a crapshoot renders most World Series-or-bust sentiment just blather. And Rizzo planted his flag for Maddon, saying that “without his leadership, guys aren’t playing the way they play” and that “Joe’s best year was this year as far as managing all the moving parts,” which doesn’t sound like the sort of talk from a guy who expects to be playing for a new manager next year, even if the Cubs do have as much cover as they ever will should they move to replace him.

“I love this team,” Rizzo said. “I’ve loved this team from Day 1. We lost to teams that were better than us. That’s all you can say. We fell short.”

o, Baez share hug at third

https://sports.yahoo.com/exactly-chicago-cubs-embarrassing-exit-playoffs-092113932.html

They won 95 games and its baseball. Yes, they lost two must-win games at home...but shit happens in baseball. Best teams don't always win.  Fans are going to want to overreact but I wish we were in the situation the Cubs were in.  They need better front-end pitching and they have some bad contracts, but they also have a heck of a lot of quality players / pieces and pretty deep pockets.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I thought they would be in the WS again.   Baseball is a funny sport.  Sometimes it's not about talent but a team getting hot at the right time. 

Speaking of which I am going to enjoy watching the Brewers.