AL Wild Card game thread

LittleHurt05

I hate that starters only go 5 innings max in postseason games these days. I get the numbers and stuff, but it just bugs the ever loving shit out of me. I value sabermetrics over baseball traditionalism 99% of the time but I can't stand how all a starter has to do is give up a baserunner in the 4th inning or later and he gets the hook. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hate that starters only go 5 innings max in postseason games these days. I get the numbers and stuff, but it just bugs the ever loving shit out of me. I value sabermetrics over baseball traditionalism 99% of the time but I can't stand how all a starter has to do is give up a baserunner in the 4th inning or later and he gets the hook. 

I agree with you but the numbers have shown that unless his name is Scherzer or Sale, your starter should not stay in the game very long.

Its baseball's biggest problem, analytics have shown that slowing the game down gives you a better chance to win, while sports like basketball and football are the opposite.

5 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I agree with you but the numbers have shown that unless his name is Scherzer or Sale, your starter should not stay in the game very long.

Its baseball's biggest problem, analytics have shown that slowing the game down gives you a better chance to win, while sports like basketball and football are the opposite.

I agree. I think eventually there aren't going to be traditional rotations with pitchers going 5-7 innings per game. There will be the opener, the long reliever and the traditional ace. 

Most starts will have the opener going 3-4 innings, the long reliever getting through the 6th and the 7-8-9 with your traditional high leverage guys. It will be unlikely that a pitcher faces a hitter more than once per game, unless said pitcher is a Scherzer/Sale/Verlander super ace. 

If that happens, there will be more pitching changes than runs scored in the average game. The Rays have opened Pandora's Box. 

Edited by Jack Parkman