Jason Benetti

ron883

Currently doing play by play on ESPN 2 for the statcast broadcast. This guy announces for a number of broadcasts and a number of different sports. The reviews are somewhat mixed for him on here, but are we seeing one of the next bigtime sports broadcasters grow before out eyes?

38 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Currently doing play by play on ESPN 2 for the statcast broadcast. This guy announces for a number of broadcasts and a number of different sports. The reviews are somewhat mixed for him on here, but are we seeing one of the next bigtime sports broadcasters grow before out eyes?

He's one of the up and coming stars in the business.  We're lucky to have him.  He gets a little silly with Stoney.  

• Like 1

I think that Jason Benetti has improved vastly since he first started with the Sox. My memory of his first season was him trying to crack far too many jokes and whatnot, pretty much all the time. I think the feedback has reached the Sox and Benetti and he's a better announcer for it. He talks way more about the game now. Sure he still has his jokes, but he's improved a lot. I like him and I hope he's the White Sox announcer for many, many years.

Just now, AustinIllini said:

I won't go that far because Stone does some things really well and I think he's likely better than a replacement broadcaster.

I don't.  It amazes me that everyone else who worked with both Hawk and Jason made them better.  And then there was Stone. The broadcast just gets awkward and grinds to a halt.  There is no flow. There is no comfort. There is no energy. His best days are gone. 

Both Stone and Farmer need to go.....

I really like Benetti and I can get used to him. 

I really wish AJP wanted to do color commentary. I don't think he does though. He and JB would be great together. When he does the playoffs for Fox he's great.  

Edited by Jack Parkman

FWIW--During the Red Sox/Yankee broadcast last weeknd, the crew was talking about the job Alex Cora has done. They noted his ability to relate to the players in the clubhouse. AJ praised Ozzie for the same qualities. Unfortunately, his commenst got cut a little short at the end of an inning when it looked like he was going to add more about Ozzie as a manager. 

Stone often disagrees with Jason and does so in a way that embarrasses him. Perhaps some of Jason's attempted humor is a way for him to try to save face, in such situations. It is those awkward moments, which make me feel the most uncomfortable. I can imagine how Jason feels. Admittedly, some of Benetti's ideas are worthy of criticism, but Stone has a sarcastic way of criticizing them, which can embarrass him. One incident comes to mind; Jason once suggested that they have a triples competition, at the All Star Game, something like the Home Run Derby. Of course, no player would want to expend himself, running out several triples, and so the idea really wasn't feasible. Benetti thought that it would be very entertaining and great fun, for the fans. Stone could have simply said; "Yes, the fans would love it, but I'm not sure that the players would". However, the way Stone rejected it, probably embarrassed Jason. 

Edited by Lillian

I think Jason is an up and comer who we should keep.  He is very early in his career and should improve.  Not sure what his contract status is but with the other broadcasting he is doing he has a bright future.  I would try to give him a multiyear deal.  Perhaps some of his corniness is trying to hard and to justify himself as a relative newbie in a room of veterans.  Security may allow him to relax.  Thought he did well last night as I watched their broadcast more than the regular one.  Also in a world where broadcasters are no longer unique(homers), if nothing else the pitch of his voice makes him instantly recognizable.  

I watched the statcast broadcast and thought he did well. One moment made me cringe though and it is something he does often. When Contreras's knee started bothering him during one of his at bats in extra innings Benetti goes: 

In a city known for stars winning championships, feeling sick...notably in a bulls uniform...Contreras though has a more emergent issue...

What does that have anything to do with anything, and why be coy with the reference? 

I dunno, cut out some of that meandering nonsense and he'll be fine. 

2 hours ago, JoshPR said:

He probably takes espn more seriously. I think he's way too relaxed with the sox.I hate the joke thing. I think he comes off as a wise ass too. ESPN probably reads him the riot act before he starts

Being brutally honest, the games he calls on ESPN have been more meaningful and more interesting.  I can see where you'd get a little crazy in games that were

• Not meaningful
  • blowouts

Overall, though, I'll take him.

In their own way each of them seems to be just going through the motions. Stone is constantly sarcastic and Jason seems too bored to actually find better material. I am just at the age where lame humor really annoys me.

1 hour ago, AustinIllini said:

Being brutally honest, the games he calls on ESPN have been more meaningful and more interesting.  I can see where you'd get a little crazy in games that were

• Not meaningful
  • blowouts

Overall, though, I'll take him.

I was going to say earlier, "better quality team = better quality broadcast."

• Like 1