Jason Benetti

ron883

3 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

I think Jason is an up and comer who we should keep.  He is very early in his career and should improve.  Not sure what his contract status is but with the other broadcasting he is doing he has a bright future.  I would try to give him a multiyear deal.  Perhaps some of his corniness is trying to hard and to justify himself as a relative newbie in a room of veterans.  Security may allow him to relax.  Thought he did well last night as I watched their broadcast more than the regular one.  Also in a world where broadcasters are no longer unique(homers), if nothing else the pitch of his voice makes him instantly recognizable.  

Keep him and add someone with more personality than Stone and you have a great broadcast. If AJ ever wanted to announce, he would be perfect and I think he would bring some of the emotion that we miss without Hawk.

11 hours ago, 3GamesToLove said:

As others have said, Benetti's weakness in the Sox booth is his constant need to look for corny jokes and zingers--the occasional one is fine and I have no problem with it, but it gets too goofy at times. Last night on ESPN? No such problem. I don't know if it's a Stone thing, or what.

This has more to do with the poor quality of the product to broadcast IMO. They need to find someway to entertain themsekves without crapping all over the team.

Still think he’s more a voice talent evolving into a baseball announcer rather than someone who the sport comes to instinctively, like a John Rooney.

For most White Sox fans, at least the die hards, they appreciate a little pure, unbridled emotion from time to time.  Doesn’t mean you have to be an overt homer.  Where you know that broadcaster is just as invested as you, the fan, in the final results.

Vin Scully was the perfect example.  Heck, I’d take Bob Eucker.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Still think he’s more a voice talent evolving into a baseball announcer rather than someone who the sport comes to instinctively, like a John Rooney.

For most White Sox fans, at least the die hards, they appreciate a little pure, unbridled emotion from time to time.  Doesn’t mean you have to be an overt homer.  Where you know that broadcaster is just as invested as you, the fan, in the final results.

Vin Scully was the perfect example.  Heck, I’d take Bob Eucker.

So HOF announcers or bust?  Fair comparison this early into his Sox tenure...

13 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Honestly i would be surprised if he was our announcer in 5 years. Hes going to have a lot of opportunities for big $

Reading your first comment, I was going to disagree with you because I thought you were referring to him being that bad. But your second sentence made me actually agree with you.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:58 PM, GreenSox said:

Benetti's fine; Stone is fine.

Farmer, on the other hand...

Farmer will be telling a real dumb story and then casually mention oh two runs for the Sox. I think Paciorek adds a lot to the mix and makes Stone much better. Jason is a total turn-off for me and I think he brings little effort to his daily chore. If he had a better ghost writer I would reconsider. 

On 10/3/2018 at 10:11 AM, soxfan2014 said:

Keep him and add someone with more personality than Stone and you have a great broadcast. If AJ ever wanted to announce, he would be perfect and I think he would bring some of the emotion that we miss without Hawk.

I could see wanting AJ . He's good. But pairing him with Benetti  just can't see it. We've all heard how brutal AJ can be with people. Ptatc doesn't like him much. Maybe he's matured or understands about being a professional broadcaster now but he's always reminded me of a bully and Jason reminds me of the bullied. I know its a strange take on the matter because I don't know either one but kind of have a hard time thinking putting the bully with the bullied would work.