Top White Sox Prospects by Position: Catchers

NorthSideSox72

Since we get asked about this regularly... we're starting a new, hopefully annual tradition at FutureSox. We are ranking the prospects in the system by position. The series will run this week and next. I definitely hope to get some of your feedback as the articles roll out, since it's our first time doing it. There will be nine articles, from 5 authors (though the rankings were agreed across all the writers).

First up; The Top 5 Catchers on the farm.

7 hours ago, glangon said:

I can't read any Tribune articles in Scotland. For some reason we are barred for viewing the content. Can someone list the top 5 please.

Someone listed them for you, but I wanted to extend our apologies on that. We've expressed our frustration and it's business-stupid, but it is still not yet fixed. Hopefully soon.

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

Why is it that the Sox can't develop a home-grown catcher if their life depended on it?  The last 2 quality catchers  that we didn't acquire via the trade route that I can recall are Duane Josephson and Ed Herrman, back in the '60's and '70's.

Omar Narvaez was developed half by the Sox. Kevan Smith fully home-grown. That was literally the two MLB catchers on the squad for most of 2018.

If you are looking for, say, an average or better MLB starting catcher, the Sox should get SOME credit for Tyler Flowers (especially his defensive improvements - he was very bat-first when acquired). Go back far enough and you get a few spotty seasons here and there of average or better production - Brook Fordyce, Ron Karkovice got there for a season or two.

Context is key. There just aren't a lot of guys in all of MLB over the last couple decades that put up above average total value from the catching position for more than 2-3 years. Only a few. Those guys that put in 10+ years of mostly above average value? How many can you name across baseball since say the 1990's?

2 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

Why is it that the Sox can't develop a home-grown catcher if their life depended on it?  The last 2 quality catchers  that we didn't acquire via the trade route that I can recall are Duane Josephson and Ed Herrman, back in the '60's and '70's.

The Sox actually had some of the highest production out of the catching position this year in MLB from mainly one of their own draft picks and a MiLB rule 5 pick.