Top White Sox Prospects by Position: Third Base

NorthSideSox72

Our series continues into the infield, listing the top third basemen in the system. This is not the deepest of the groups - in fact it might be the thinnest, though 1B is right there too (that comes out later this week). Not surprisingly there were varying opinions among the writers, beyond Burger.

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Our series continues into the infield, listing the top third basemen in the system. This is not the deepest of the groups - in fact it might be the thinnest, though 1B is right there too (that comes out later this week). Not surprisingly there were varying opinions among the writers, beyond Burger.

Yeah, while Bush has given some hope for the future, the kid is probably at least 3 years away, 3rd base is still a pretty big black hole for the Sox.  I worry less about 1B, as you can spin just about anyone to that position.  We already have a kid like Daniel Palka who could well end up there or a Zach Collins.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, while Bush has given some hope for the future, the kid is probably at least 3 years away, 3rd base is still a pretty big black hole for the Sox.  I worry less about 1B, as you can spin just about anyone to that position.  We already have a kid like Daniel Palka who could well end up there or a Zach Collins.

And since he wasn't added at catcher Yermin Mercedes needs a shot at a higher level and if he's not a catcher he should try 1st base.

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And since he wasn't added at catcher Yermin Mercedes needs a shot at a higher level and if he's not a catcher he should try 1st base.

Mercedes is a 1-tool player, was 25 in High-A and finished his 8th year as a pro. He's just not a prospect.

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

Not sure the sox are deep at any position other than OF. But players like Nunez if they somehow did turn corner, could well be a 3b, same with Sosa if he develops power. 

Shortstop, which comes out tomorrow, for me is a sneaky good group. No one spectacular there, but a number of talented guys and one of them could pop and become a starting-level guy in the middle infield (though likely would be for some other team).

37 minutes ago, knightni said:

I don't trust that Burger will be 100% after his injuries.

Are there any quality power SS/3B at #3 in this June's draft?

There are some quality infielders available. I think Burger will be a part of the next playoff team though still. I believe quite in a bit in the makeup and work ethic of that kid. It might not be at 3B but I still feel comfortable thinking he'll make an impact. Lost development time is an issue though. 

36 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Mercedes is a 1-tool player, was 25 in High-A and finished his 8th year as a pro. He's just not a prospect.

Shortstop, which comes out tomorrow, for me is a sneaky good group. No one spectacular there, but a number of talented guys and one of them could pop and become a starting-level guy in the middle infield (though likely would be for some other team).

That's good. For players that split time across infield positions how did you decide which list to put them on?

edit: wow i thought sosa played a lot more 3b than he did. 

Let's see:

Sosa, Yrizarri, Rivera, Delgado, Carranza,?

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's good. For players that split time across infield positions how did you decide which list to put them on?

edit: wow i thought sosa played a lot more 3b than he did. 

Let's see:

Sosa, Yrizarri, Rivera, Delgado, Carranza,?

We generally decided that players who were mostly at SS so far as a pro would be kept there for these lists. As it happens, most of the players on the list tomorrow look like they can stick too, which is good news.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

D'oh, Carranza = Maldonado.

So funny how 3rd day of the draft I'm obsessed with the guys and so pumped then two weeks later I can't name any of them.

And I forgot curbelo, yeah this is pretty decent.

But... Curbelo is interesting. We decided he was a shortstop for this list, but many people feel he's destined for 3B.

28 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

We generally decided that players who were mostly at SS so far as a pro would be kept there for these lists. As it happens, most of the players on the list tomorrow look like they can stick too, which is good news.

But... Curbelo is interesting. We decided he was a shortstop for this list, but many people feel he's destined for 3B.

I think Curbelo will be a 3b, but I'm also of the opinion that we should just wait until they are moved until we worry about it. All projections are inexact in scouting, but the body type projections seem the most frivolous imo.

Burger’s injury was truly devastating to our corner infield depth.  I really want to believe he’ll come back strong next year, but at this point we’ll have to start thinking about addressing 3B without him.  And outside of moving Moncada to 3B, we don’t really any options in the near term.

yeah...for as underwhelming as the 1st base group was...this one is even worse.  Agree with the above statement addressing the position without Burger.  Anything from him in the next few years will be gravy...but not expecting too much.  There was an interesting comment in the draft thread tho...there was a comment that speculated Andrew Vaughn was athletic enough to play 3rd base.  Hell...if Burger can...I'd think Vaughn could?  That being said...it'll be interesting to see how Brohm, India and Gorman develop the next few years just for comparison sake.

36 minutes ago, Wanne said:

yeah...for as underwhelming as the 1st base group was...this one is even worse.  Agree with the above statement addressing the position without Burger.  Anything from him in the next few years will be gravy...but not expecting too much.  There was an interesting comment in the draft thread tho...there was a comment that speculated Andrew Vaughn was athletic enough to play 3rd base.  Hell...if Burger can...I'd think Vaughn could?  That being said...it'll be interesting to see how Brohm, India and Gorman develop the next few years just for comparison sake.

Bush is more enticing than any 1B prospect right now other than Sheets.