Arizona Fall League - Running Thread - Opens 10/9

NorthSideSox72

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Luis Robert is gonna have an Acuna-like rise in the minors. I thought it would happen this year but he couldn't stay on the field. If he stays healthy next year, he'll be knocking on the door of an MLB promotion by August (and will receive the promotion on or around April 15, 2020).

The tools are real, he just HAS to stay healthy.

25 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

AFL is generally higher end prospects, most of whom are AA or AAA, and a few A-ballers. So gnerally the pitching in AFL is of a substantially tougher level.

I've been having strange thoughts on Robert but due to small sample size I'm not sure how I feel about it. He appears healthy in the AFL and in spring training last year when he wowed the Sox. When he is healthy you think he can surely be in AA/AAA but due to injuries he was meh in A+ last year.

I think you are right if he stays healthy and starts in A+ and starts hot move him up quickly. His bat speed is elite right ? It's just strange how he has shown more at higher levels then he has at the lower levels. I know its all due to health but it's possible he can move very quickly if he can stay on the field.

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've been having strange thoughts on Robert but due to small sample size I'm not sure how I feel about it. He appears healthy in the AFL and in spring training last year when he wowed the Sox. When he is healthy you think he can surely be in AA/AAA but due to injuries he was meh in A+ last year.

I think you are right if he stays healthy and starts in A+ and starts hot move him up quickly. His bat speed is elite right ? It's just strange how he has shown more at higher levels then he has at the lower levels. I know its all due to health but it's possible he can move very quickly if he can stay on the field.

If he can stay healthy, he wouldn't shock me to see him move multiple levels in one year.  The talent is there.

I don't expect to see him in the majors until 2020 but I think (if healthy) he's already a better option for CF than Engel. Robert is faster (believe it or not), likely has the same or better range, definitely has a better arm, and most likely would be a better hitter already. 

On 11/9/2018 at 11:42 PM, Jose Abreu said:

I don't expect to see him in the majors until 2020 but I think (if healthy) he's already a better option for CF than Engel. Robert is faster (believe it or not), likely has the same or better range, definitely has a better arm, and most likely would be a better hitter already. 

There is no doubt he is a better option for CF than Adam Engel.  Engel is a placeholder until the rebuild starts paying off.  In theory he could still become a starter if his bat can move up to even the 40 to 45 hit scale, but with each year that goes by the odds of that happening go down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 9:42 PM, Jose Abreu said:

Where did you find that Robert is faster than Engel ? According to statcast Engel is as fast as Billy Hamilton at a top speed of 30.1ft/second  which is 4th in all of MLB.1st is 30.5 ft/sec so i is very difficult to be faster than Engel.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
fixed mistake

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Where did you find that Robert is faster than Engel ? According to statcast Engel is as fast as Billy Hamilton at a top speed of 30.1ft/second  which is 4th in all of MLB.1st is 30.5 ft/sec so i is very difficult to be faster than Engel.

I thought Robert put up a 29.5 during AFL?

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I thought Robert put up a 29.5 during AFL?

That would be a full second faster than the fastest guy currently in MLB when the top guys are only separated by tenths of seconds. Unless it's statcast verified that time is highly unlikely.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
fix typo

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That would be a full second faster than the fastest guy currently in MLB when the top guys are only separated by tenths of seconds. Unless it's statcast verified that time is highly unlikely.

To your original question, I got that conclusion from combining this info:

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/2017-home-to-first-times/

Edited by Jose Abreu

I don't doubt there's a possibility Robert is faster than Engel. I just don't see any proof of it using the same measuring stick. Guys like Engel and Robert need to be measured in the same way. Home to 1st times might be good to see who gets from home to 1st fastest but they do not indicate who is fastest. For example some guys are faster getting out of the box than others. Also when does the clock start on home to 1st times? Is it at contact? How is it measured ? A stop watch ?

Sorry I'm jut bored 😋

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't doubt there's a possibility Robert is faster than Engel. I just don't see any proof of it using the same measuring stick. Guys like Engel and Robert need to be measured in the same way. Home to 1st times might be good to see who gets from home to 1st fastest but they do not indicate who is fastest. For example some guys are faster getting out of the box than others. Also when does the clock start on home to 1st times? Is it at contact? How is it measured ? A stop watch ?

Sorry I'm jut bored 😋

Yeah the measurement has room for error, but even with error, Robert’s time is *so much* better than anyone else’s in baseball that it could be legit.