White Sox projected arb salaries

southsider2k5

14 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

On the fence about what to do with Abreu. If that 16mil can he spent on Machado, I think you nontender him. Him and Avi alone leave 24mil to spend on Machado. 

Even if they keep them all, they only have about $50 million on the books this year. They have room for a big name if they want it regardless of those 2. 

If they let both of them go, they have $13.3 million in contracts this year counting Jones's option, and the remainder there is $14.1 million, for a positively Marlins payroll of $27.4 million.

I'll be surprised if they let either of them walk, honestly. 

43 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't about the money, it is about the roster spot. Avi isn't the future. He has no trade value. He fills a position where we need to evaluate players who might be here in 2020/21/22 etc. Avi is worth nothing to the 2019 White Sox.

I disagree with the bolded. Who is he taking ABs from in 2019? This is assuming Eloy is in left, Palka at DH. 

If Avi actually stayed healthy (BIG IF), and hit like he did for most of 2017...what would he theoretically be worth at the trade deadline?

Is that worth whatever his projected arbitration salary is?

ALTERNATIVES?  What outfielders in the Ozuna/Yelich/Cain category are there that would be under contract from 2021-23?

Among the FA's, Brantley and Pollock are two of the biggest names out there...so it seems perfectly logical they'll roll the dice on Donaldson (knowing that Yolmer's best-suited for utility play and Davidson's just not an everyday 3B either) and AJ Pollock and hope to "jump start" the competitive window by adding two (potentially) legit bats on "under/distressed value" contracts.  Brantley's had so many injuries as well, but perhaps the Sox would prefer his familiarity with the division and the idea of "subtracting" a player from their (now) chief rival.

I'm almost ready that signing Yasiel Puig after the Dodgers are penalized for their Latin American operations violations.  He could conceivably be put on the market, as well...as a penalty.

Keep in mind that agencies aren't dropping clients who make them boatloads of money for bat flips or not hustling out of the box. Puig is set to make over $9 million in 2018 before likely topping $10 million in arbitration in 2019 and then hitting free agency thereafter. It's a good chunk of money for an agency to leave on the table. 

I just don't see the point in running Engel, Cordell or Delmonico out there everyday when there's probably 3-5 scouts out of 100 who believe any of those 3 are everyday players.

46 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I disagree with the bolded. Who is he taking ABs from in 2019? This is assuming Eloy is in left, Palka at DH. 

Palka and Delmonico to start with. Both have a better chance at making a contribution to the Sox in 20, than Avi does. Eloy in mid April will also need a job.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If Avi actually stayed healthy (BIG IF), and hit like he did for most of 2017...what would he theoretically be worth at the trade deadline?

Is that worth whatever his projected arbitration salary is?

ALTERNATIVES?  What outfielders in the Ozuna/Yelich/Cain category are there that would be under contract from 2021-23?

Among the FA's, Brantley and Pollock are two of the biggest names out there...so it seems perfectly logical they'll roll the dice on Donaldson (knowing that Yolmer's best-suited for utility play and Davidson's just not an everyday 3B either) and AJ Pollock and hope to "jump start" the competitive window by adding two (potentially) legit bats on "under/distressed value" contracts.  Brantley's had so many injuries as well, but perhaps the Sox would prefer his familiarity with the division and the idea of "subtracting" a player from their (now) chief rival.

I'm almost ready that signing Yasiel Puig after the Dodgers are penalized for their Latin American operations violations.  He could conceivably be put on the market, as well...as a penalty.

Keep in mind that agencies aren't dropping clients who make them boatloads of money for bat flips or not hustling out of the box. Puig is set to make over $9 million in 2018 before likely topping $10 million in arbitration in 2019 and then hitting free agency thereafter. It's a good chunk of money for an agency to leave on the table. 

I just don't see the point in running Engel, Cordell or Delmonico out there everyday when there's probably 3-5 scouts out of 100 who believe any of those 3 are everyday players.

Avi was worth nothing in his career year in 17. After an injury filled 18 and free agency after 19, he has zero trade value. 

Avi's not worth $8 mill; but they aren't spending much money anyway, and he's a better flip potential than some stiff marginal FA they could sign.  And it's a one year deal, which is an advantage in these situations.
Abreu is questionable at $16 Million, but the same thing applies as per Avi.
Farquhar - if they just want to be nice considering the circumstances.  Otherwise, no.

Edited by GreenSox

I believe there will be an opportunity to gain on Cleveland in the Central with a few personnel moves, possibly competing for POs in 2019. Of course everything will need to converge perfectly. That said, unless we have a viable alternative, I'd keep Avi and roll the dice on his returning to 2017 form. He showed flashes between injuries last year. Abreu is another story but I doubt there is a market. Hahn might try to extend him (2yrs at $30M?). At this point, he appears best suited as a DH and platoon 1B along with his clubhouse influence. One player I would be interested in is Greg Bird on Yankees. He is 26 yrs. old and a big defensive upgrade. He struggled last year and was replaced by Voit but he has a big LH bat and might be a change of scenery candidate the Yankees would part with (Yankees can use a back up catcher). I would also move on Donaldson and any/all starting pitchers with potential.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a chance that Avi's injuries contributed to what would have otherwise been a fine year.

If the Sox aren't in the running for Machado, why not spend the $8 million? What's the downside there?

To be clear, I think the non-tender option is also fine, but I think there's a chance he has trade value after all if a team comes up with an injured starting outfielder.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

20 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

There is a chance that Avi's injuries contributed to what would have otherwise been a fine year.

If the Sox aren't in the running for Machado, why not spend the $8 million? What's the downside there?

To be clear, I think the non-tender option is also fine, but I think there's a chance he has trade value after all if a team comes up with an injured starting outfielder.

If he didn't have trade value in '17, he isn't going to have it in '19.

The right business decision is to let Garcia walk, and probably to let Abreu walk for that money and the need of roster spots also, but the White Sox have a habit of making decisions that aren't just business ones. That's how you wind up with Robin Ventura and how you wind up with the org not being willing to fire him after 2016 - they prioritized the "family" side of things. That's how you wind up with Getz and Rowand as key guys in your minor leagues, because they started in your system. You can easily come up with other examples of them holding onto guys that they like, sometimes they'll justify it by saying that the guy is good in the clubhouse or is good around the young players or something like that. Even though they could use the roster spot and the money could be better spent elsewhere, the White Sox have enough of a history of saying "Yeah but these are good clubhouse guys and they're guys who have been with us for a long time" that I'll be skeptical that they will make that move until they actually do so, because they have a habit of doing otherwise at least some of the time.

• Like 1

Neither Avi or Abreu will probably get a Qualifying Offer ($18M) next year from the Sox. So no draft compensation. But the team has to have some protection in the line-up for Eloy, and they’ll need Jose for that at least. 

Edited by Baker