White Sox projected arb salaries

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Be prepared to be disappointed then.  You're already talking about not having enough guys in the OF that you'd retain Avi at $8M for one worthless season, why the heck would the Sox dump one of the actual playable options they have out there?  There is plenty of fat to cut off the 40 man, and admittedly, I don't think Delmonico is going to on the next winning Sox team, but they aren't going to cut bait yet.  

You cut bait with Delmonico for the same reason you cut bait with Avi. They both suck and have proven it. The only argument you have for keeping ND around is that he is still pre-arb. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its possible, but hte only way I see that happening is if the Sox sign a FA OF or two.  Who is your starting LF and RF until Eloy comes up?  I assume Delmonico will be in LF until Eloy comes up, at which point he likely goes to Charlotte.  

April 16 was included in that statement because that's the day Eloy comes up, within 24 hours or so. You could start Davidson at DH and Palka in the OF until Eloy comes up if Delmonico did not make the team out of ST or he continued having injury problems. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

You cut bait with Delmonico for the same reason you cut bait with Avi. They both suck and have proven it. The only argument you have for keeping ND around is that he is still pre-arb. 

Lol, and that's a pretty big argument.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Actually you still have no idea what Nicky can be as a hitter.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

April 16 was included in that statement because that's the day Eloy comes up, within 24 hours or so. You could start Davidson at DH and Palka in the OF until Eloy comes up if Delmonico did not make the team out of ST or he continued having injury problems. 

Right.  I just think it is pretty likely Delmonico is the OD LF, and will play there until Eloy takes his spot.  I hope the Sox sign Pollock and go with a something like a Leury-Pollock-Palka(and then Eloy) alignment, but I won't believe it until i see it.  

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If it were a one year deal, I could be talked into it.  But 2/3?  Nope.

I am not in the McCutchen camp at all, but he does still get on base a ton, so there are definitely worse options if its an affordable and short-term deal.  

Avisail isnt a tough decision for me.   Dude has spent far too many seasons injured.  Try and move him if you can, maybe try and seek a trade for another guy who could be considered an underachiever that still has a chance

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not in the McCutchen camp at all, but he does still get on base a ton, so there are definitely worse options if its an affordable and short-term deal.  

If I had to ask which guy was more likely to outplay his contract, McCutchen or Avi, I'm probably going to go with Avi out of that pair. 

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If I had to ask which guy was more likely to outplay his contract, McCutchen or Avi, I'm probably going to go with Avi out of that pair. 

Depends on what you think McCutchen is going to get paid.  

His last two seasons are pretty solid and he's actually managed to stay on the field:

.279/.363/.486 OPS+ 123

255/.368/.424 OPS+ 118 

Again, not a huge proponent of adding McCutchen, but if he's only marginally more expensive than Avi (say $10-13M AAV range), I'd much prefer him on a 1+1 type deal to Avi.  We needs guys that get on base, and he does that.  

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Depends on what you think McCutchen is going to get paid.  

His last two seasons are pretty solid and he's actually managed to stay on the field:

.279/.363/.486 OPS+ 123

255/.368/.424 OPS+ 118 

Again, not a huge proponent of adding McCutchen, but if he's only marginally more expensive than Avi (say $10-13M AAV range), I'd much prefer him on a 1+1 type deal to Avi.  We needs guys that get on base, and he does that.  

First point...why do we "need guys that get on base"? I look at next year as well below .500 no matter what we do, so what huge benefit are we expecting to reap from guys who get on base? Are we basically bringing him in to be another hitting coach?

Second point, yes McCutchen's still a solid hitter, he's put up an .801 OPS over the past 3 seasons combined, but you just quoted a price on a 1 year deal that is higher than what we'd project Avi to get. Basically, I'd ask - for either of those guys to be tradeable for something of serious value, they would have to outperform their numbers. McCutchen would have to put up a .850+ OPS, or Avi would have to replicate part of his 2017. Which do you think is more likely, Avi stays on the field or McCutchen puts up numbers in that range? I dunno, but if you put a gun to my head I'd probably go with the guy who is $5 mil cheaper.

33 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

First point...why do we "need guys that get on base"? I look at next year as well below .500 no matter what we do, so what huge benefit are we expecting to reap from guys who get on base? Are we basically bringing him in to be another hitting coach?

Lol - because that is the point of playing baseball???? 

I too think next year is another rebuilding season, especially after the Kopech news, but at some point this organization needs to try to start putting a decent product on the field for the younger guys to start learning how to win.  

I highly doubt the Sox suddenly don't value on base skills because they're probably going to suck again next season.  

I'd much prefer McCutchen to Avi, even if the price difference is around $5M next season. I don't think he's going to be a top target for the Sox, but again, its not the worst fit in the world if the Sox decide they don't want Nicky Delmonico and/or Ryan Cordell manning a corner all season.  

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol - because that is the point of playing baseball???? 

I too think next year is another rebuilding season, especially after the Kopech news, but at some point this organization needs to try to start putting a decent product on the field for the younger guys to start learning how to win.  

I highly doubt the Sox suddenly don't value on base skills because they're probably going to suck again next season.  

I'd much prefer McCutchen to Avi, even if the price difference is around $5M next season. I don't think he's going to be a top target for the Sox, but again, its not the worst fit in the world if the Sox decide they don't want Nicky Delmonico and/or Ryan Cordell manning a corner all season.  

The "younger guys" aren't here yet.  The pitching is starting to get here, but the position players are still a year or two away.

16 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

I'd rather the front office save money instead of paying Avi. Go for the gold and try to get Machado. That is 8 mil more you can pay him next year. Trade or nontender Abreu and you get an additional 16mil to pay him.

I can see it now. Manny Machado signs with White Sox , gets head examined after saying I really miss all those losing years I had in Baltimore and I'd like to relive them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I can see it now. Manny Machado signs with White Sox , gets head examined after saying I really miss all those losing years I had in Baltimore and I'd like to relive them.

He then goes and lies his head on a pile of money. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I guess I must be the only one who sees a lot of similarities between Avi and JD Martinez. I quoted you because at least you seem to realize he has upside.

JD Martinez and Avi both hit very well in the minors. Martinez 3 disappointing partial seasons in Houston where he had an OPB of .300. Both big guys, both use all fields both right handed. I can understand people wanting him gone. After all he's been a disappointment. Does Avi have the talent to hit .300 with 30+ ? Of course he does, I know he'll be 28 next year. I have no delusions about him nor any about the stiffs behind him or according to most here, those likely to be kept ahead of him . There's no upside to McCutcheon . https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2018/05/31/martinez-slipped-through-astros-fingers-just-was-blossoming/d5XHKgbwHUNEBvXtQgxtBO/story.html

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He then goes and lies his head on a pile of money. 

You'll see he won't be signing with a team years away or on the way down. He'll sign with a contender because all offers will be similar . He can lay his head on that pile of money much more comfortably on a winning team.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You'll see he won't be signing with a team years away or on the way down. He'll sign with a contender because all offers will be similar . He can lay his head on that pile of money much more comfortably on a winning team.

That's usually not anywhere close to how it works on the FA market, but we'll see. This one could be unique.