Moncada ADD

whitesoxbrad

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Has anyone noted that this seems to be a completely inappropriate disclosure even if it's true and that it should be considered private medical information if true as it isn't an injury?

Does HIPAA apply to people outside the medical field?

22 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

No, but if he heard this from a doctor then that would be a HIPAA violation by the person he heard it from. It's hearsay, no likely not a violation, but pretty inappropriate.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Has anyone noted that this seems to be a completely inappropriate disclosure even if it's true and that it should be considered private medical information if true as it isn't an injury?

No, you can’t test positive for ADD. You can’t even prove you have it. Doctors can say you likely have it based on a number of symptoms, etc.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

It sounds like its speculation instead of a released diagnosis so it's not a HIPPA violation.

1 minute ago, NCsoxfan said:

No, you can’t test positive for ADD. You can’t even prove you have it. Doctors can say you likely have it based on a number of symptoms, etc.

If a professional gives him this diagnosis, it is covered under HIPPA.

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No, but if he heard this from a doctor then that would be a HIPAA violation by the person he heard it from. It's hearsay, no likely not a violation, but pretty inappropriate.

While it is probably not illegal, it is definitely a moral and ethical lapse on the part of Levine to speculate about something like this, especially if the team or player didn't tell him this directly.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I do find it fascinating how much people bash Levine as a source, but whenever he says or reports something, there is so much reaction. If he is so insignificant, why isn't he ignored?

I don't think that many people are as aware of his ineptitude as you think 

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

yeah...I kinda find it inappropriate.  But I also find in today's world there's always a "diagnosis" for behavior.  Just because someone has mental lapses sometimes...all of a sudden it's ADD?!?   Or someone is overly focused on task at hand they're OCD.  Gimme a break.  I'm not fond of Levine implying this honestly...

Unless Levine was told he had this in confidence, he did nothing everyone on this board hasn't done. He said he "heard something along the lines " he had something similar to Starlin Castro, who a Sun Times writer speculated a few years ago had this, and as far as I can tell, hasn't been confirmed. It's not like he was hung up on this. He's a baseball reporter, and if Moncada suffers from this, it can have an effect on his play.

So next time you see a neighbor that has lost a ton of weight, and has Jaundice, don't mention to others you think he or she may be ill . And if someone tells you they heard that person may have cancer, admonish them. It is way too inappropriate. 

I am not a fan of Levine, but people really do go way out of their way to slam him.

Edited by Dick Allen

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Unless Levine was told he had this in confidence, he did nothing everyone on this board hasn't done. He said he "heard something along the lines " he had something similar to Starlin Castro, who a Sun Times writer speculated a few years ago had this, and as far as I can tell, hasn't been confirmed. It's not like he was hung up on this. He's a baseball reporter, and if Moncada suffers from this, it can have an effect on his play.

So next time you see a neighbor that has lost a ton of weight, and has Jaundice, don't mention to others you think he or she may be ill . And if someone tells you they heard that person may have cancer, admonish them. It is way too inappropriate. 

I am not a fan of Levine, but people really do go way out of their way to slam him.

The difference is that one person is a legitimate reporter, and the rest aren't.  This is fake news.

If it was private info, how did Levine find out? Where is the outrage that someone in the White Sox organization is leaking this info to hack reporters? 

He probably got it from a scout, and it's probably just a scout's opinion, perhaps based on information from White Sox contacts. It's such a huge story, if you google it, you will find nothing.

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If it was private info, how did Levine find out? Where is the outrage that someone in the White Sox organization is leaking this info to hack reporters? 

He probably got it from a scout, and it's probably just a scout's opinion, perhaps based on information from White Sox contacts. It's such a huge story, if you google it, you will find nothing.

Literally the only one painting it as a "huge story" is you.

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

It's not an inappropriate disclosure in the way that he got this information from the Sox or a medical profession. It's inappropriate disclosure because he is assessing someone's mental health in a public forum based off of a conversation with a scout.

17 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

He heard it from a scout. Neither the White Sox or Moncada's camp have any idea what he is talking about. 

16 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

This is correct and adds to the stupidity of Levine's actions.

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I do find it fascinating how much people bash Levine as a source, but whenever he says or reports something, there is so much reaction. If he is so insignificant, why isn't he ignored?

See 2014-2015 offseason. Bruce broke basically everything that offseason. Since then he has been wrong multiple times and rarely right. 

Well, that does it. I guess we should move on from ever expecting anything out of Moncada... he's got the ADD... wait.. what?

98% of the world has ADD nowadays. I can't believe this even has responses on the board other than we're so bored in the offseason already.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Literally the only one painting it as a "huge story" is you.

No, mentioning ethics, morals, and even whether it's legal or not, is a lot more than what I am saying. It was just a guy relaying what he heard, most likely from a scout, and it's probably more than one scout who thinks this. He didn't confirm anything. I would guess if scouts are talking about it, some White Sox people have their suspicions as well.  Also,  even if Moncada has this, while it could be cause for some concern, it's not like he's suddenly a DFA candidate. I think using as an excuse for a move to 3rd is probably just ingoring the fact they drafted someone #4 in the draft who is a far superior 2B defensively, and the Sox really need a 3B.  Chances are, whether he has this or not, he's not long for 2B.

The caller seemed pretty aware of the rumors which caused Levine to mention he heard something. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

No, mentioning ethics, morals, and even whether it's legal or not, is a lot more than what I am saying. It was just a guy relaying what he heard, most likely from a scout, and it's probably more than one scout who thinks this. He didn't confirm anything. I would guess if scouts are talking about it, some White Sox people have their suspicions as well.  Also,  even if Moncada has this, while it could be cause for some concern, it's not like he's suddenly a DFA candidate. I think using as an excuse for a move to 3rd is probably just ingoring the fact they drafted someone #4 in the draft who is a far superior 2B defensively, and the Sox really need a 3B.  Chances are, whether he has this or not, he's not long for 2B.

It is a moral and ethical lapse to speculate about someone's mental health in a public forum, especially without a legitimate reason to do so.  The athlete hasn't talked about it, and the team hasn't publicly talked about it.  It would be one thing if he was actually reporting, but it is the fact that he is speculating off of second or third hand information that precisely makes it irresponsible.  He has no factual basis for this, and is instead publicly speculating on someone's mental health based off of rumor.  This is a horrible thing to try to normalize as being OK.

Funny how goalposts move. Corey Crawford last year. The Hawks say nothing, and are slammed for it. On this site, I read a friend of a friend is a cop and he was busted and in rehab and hooke on meth, on crack, on smack....Say nothing, you make it worse. Say something, you are butting into their privacy. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Funny how goalposts move. Corey Crawford last year. The Hawks say nothing, and are slammed for it. On this site, I read a friend of a friend is a cop and he was busted and in rehab and hooke on meth, on crack, on smack....Say nothing, you make it worse. Say something, you are butting into their privacy. 

You don't see the difference there because you don't want to.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You don't see the difference there because you don't want to.

I see the difference. That's the problem. The Blackhawks were slammed for keeping a player's privacy . Here, supposedly Levine blew that, and he's slammed. Maybe Levine shouldn't have said anything, the caller had the info. Where did he get it?  It wasn't nearly as egregious as some make it. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I see the difference. That's the problem. The Blackhawks were slammed for keeping a player's privacy . Here, supposedly Levine blew that, and he's slammed. Maybe Levine shouldn't have said anything, the caller had the info. Where did he get it?  It wasn't nearly as egregious as some make it. 

Nope.