Moncada ADD

whitesoxbrad

It’s pretty BS to “out” someone’s mental health issues without that person’s consent, especially when it’s just hearsay, and ESPECIALLY when it could potentially affect the person’s employment opportunities in the future. 

It probably isn’t, ultimately, a big deal. But it COULD be. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

It’s pretty BS to “out” someone’s mental health issues without that person’s consent, especially when it’s just hearsay, and ESPECIALLY when it could potentially affect the person’s employment opportunities in the future. 

It probably isn’t, ultimately, a big deal. But it COULD be. 

Where he most likely got this from, I am pretty certain is wasn't something he came up  with himself, indicates it's probably around the league this could be a possiblity. Who even knows exactly what he meant? He called it attention deficit syndrome. Maybe that's scout speak for can't keep his focus. 

His performance is the main thing, and even if that doesn't reach it's potential, the fact that the potential is so high, he will get more chances than most if he needs them.

I really doubt Yoan Moncada will not be given an opportunity just because someone suspects he may have ADD.

Edited by Dick Allen

Am I taking crazy pills? We're talking about ADD right?

I never knew we took mental health so seriously, let alone ADD.

I'll make sure to add Moncada into my prayers. I'm not sure how he'll handle his ADD now that its public knowledge that he struggles to concentrate like 98% of America.

Just now I was working, but then I checked the sox board cuase I got distracted...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'll make sure to add Moncada into my prayers. I'm not sure how he'll handle his ADD now that its public knowledge that he struggles to concentrate like 98% of America.

Just now I was working, but then I checked the sox board cuase I got distracted...

We got an internet tough guy on our hands. 

49 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Where he most likely got this from, I am pretty certain is wasn't something he came up  with himself, indicates it's probably around the league this could be a possiblity. Who even knows exactly what he meant? He called it attention deficit syndrome. Maybe that's scout speak for can't keep his focus. 

His performance is the main thing, and even if that doesn't reach it's potential, the fact that the potential is so high, he will get more chances than most if he needs them.

I really doubt Yoan Moncada will not be given an opportunity just because someone suspects he may have ADD.

And yet we’re talking about this because a well-known media correspondent cited it as a reason he should move down the defensive spectrum just now. 

No, if he hits, it’s fine. But if he’s inconsistent and looking for a job in a few years and someone decides to take this narrative somewhere, who knows? There’s all kinds of dumb shit that passes as “explanations” for player performance. 

Yeah it’s probably not a big deal. But it might be and it might not even be true and Moncada had no say in it. That’s bullshit. I’m not calling for anyone’s head over it, but it’s not fair. 

38 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

This is just an unbelievably ignorant post. I don’t know at all if this Moncada stuff is legit, but if you haven’t had serious mental health issues or known someone who has, you shouldn’t just pretend it doesn’t exist just because it doesn’t affect you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

ADHD is diagnosed in like 1/10 .... not internet tough guy. I think it's ridiculous that anybody would be upset that this got "leaked" or that it affects his ability to play 2B or have a MLB career in any way. Or that he'd be "hurt" that it got out that he had ADHD.

ADHD as a "mental health" issue is a stretch and frankly insulting to actual mental health disorders.

I'm not going to comment anymore on this topic cause it seems as if people are ruffled by honesty. ADHD is not a story worthy of discussing.

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

ADHD is diagnosed in like 1/10 .... not internet tough guy. I think it's ridiculous that anybody would be upset that this got "leaked" or that it affects his ability to play 2B or have a MLB career in any way. Or that he'd be "hurt" that it got out that he had ADHD.

ADHD as a "mental health" issue is a stretch and frankly insulting to actual mental health disorders.

I'm not going to comment anymore on this topic cause it seems as if people are ruffled by honesty. ADHD is not a story worthy of discussing.

Just because ADHD is drastically overdiagnosed (and it certainly is) does not mean that it isn’t real. 

I spent most of the last two years working very closely with a guy that had the most extreme ADHD I’ve ever seen. Probably something like as much as you can have and still hold down an office job. He was heavily medicated all the time, but depending upon his mood, stress level, amount of sleep, etc., it would just go overboard on a fairly regular basis. He would start sentences and lose focus before finishing them. He would get completely overwhelmed by tasks that he couldn’t complete immediately because so many steps he couldn’t immediately control made the task feel impossible to him. It would cause him to physically get out of his seat, take three aggressive steps in one direction, pause, mumble to himself, then sit back down. Beyond work, he would struggle sometimes even having social conversations because he would get lost in his own rambling, realize what he just did, and be embarrassed about it. 

This is an otherwise perfectly intelligent and well-adjusted individual. But who would struggle to keep this condition from defining his personal and professional relationships on a literal daily basis. 

Again, I don’t know at all about Moncada and if he really has ADHD or not. But this IS real and it is a potential issue for anyone who actually has it. To casually delegitimize this type of thing because you haven’t seen it is destructive to our society and makes it harder for people who really have to deal with it. 

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

Moncada has never been diagnosed with ADD. Some scout insinuated he could have it and Levine reported that. Now, with telephone media being played, people are acting like he does. That's another problem on Levine's part. When you throw shit at the will it often turns into something else.

8 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

This isn't a leak. This is a scout gossiping his speculation based on nothing to a silly reporter. 

ADHD isn't even recognized as a condition anymore IIRC. It's just ADD now. Not that that that changes anything in this conversation.

Levine referred to it attention deficit syndrome. That was never a thing to begin with. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Unless Levine was told he had this in confidence, he did nothing everyone on this board hasn't done. He said he "heard something along the lines " he had something similar to Starlin Castro, who a Sun Times writer speculated a few years ago had this, and as far as I can tell, hasn't been confirmed. It's not like he was hung up on this. He's a baseball reporter, and if Moncada suffers from this, it can have an effect on his play.

So next time you see a neighbor that has lost a ton of weight, and has Jaundice, don't mention to others you think he or she may be ill . And if someone tells you they heard that person may have cancer, admonish them. It is way too inappropriate. 

I am not a fan of Levine, but people really do go way out of their way to slam him.

The difference between people on a message board and a guy that is employed to be an insider and expert shouldn't be that difficult to see.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

The difference between people on a message board and a guy that is employed to be an insider and expert shouldn't be that difficult to see.  

No I think DA is right to hold Levine to the standards of any of us on the message board. That's what Levine has become. 

• Haha 1

I'm obviously not trying to be a d*&%

I think sarcasm is lost on the board and maybe sarcasm isn't good to use on a board and regarding mental health.

When it comes to health everybody knows someone affected and are highly sensitized to the topic. I know many people affected by a ton of different diseases and disorders I just think that ADD is about as far down the list as one can get in terms of something that is life altering. As always there are extreme cases of anything, but I think that this whole thing is a non story. Apologize to those I offended. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'm obviously not trying to be a d*&%

I think sarcasm is lost on the board and maybe sarcasm isn't good to use on a board and regarding mental health.

When it comes to health everybody knows someone affected and are highly sensitized to the topic. I know many people affected by a ton of different diseases and disorders I just think that ADD is about as far down the list as one can get in terms of something that is life altering. As always there are extreme cases of anything, but I think that this whole thing is a non story. Apologize to those I offended. 

I got the fact you were being sarcastic...so I guess my post earlier was sarcastic too.  Not downplaying people with actual issues...but with my gal being a 1st grade teacher all i hear about is about a third of her classes every year has these neurotic parents who want to "diagnose" their kids behavior as ADD or ADHD and immediately start shoving pills down their throat...and of course then you have quack medical and counseling personnel who see them as $$$$.  So yeah...I'm pretty skeptical loosely throwing that term around.  Doesn't mean people don't suffer from it...it's just an overused/abused term IMO.

In other words, ADD/ADHD has now become the convenient excuse for every parent whose kids are overachieving or lose focus.

From a school standpoint, it's an issue dealing with all the zombie kids on Ritalin (in the US, allowing them to put their head down on the desk is considered to be abuse/neglect, even if they have a job after school and don't have enough rest)...and, of course, those who "game the system" in order to get extra time allotted for their SAT or ACT exams, for example.

17 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

re-fucking-tweet

54 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Who the f*** does Bruce Levine think he is? I get hearing the rumor and digging deep to find truth to it, but until you actually KNOW FOR A FACT that Moncada does have "ADD," I probably wouldn't run with it on my stupid ass radio show. What a fucking jackass.

Wasn't it a caller who asked or suggested it first? 

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Wasn't it a caller who asked or suggested it first? 

The link is on the first page of the thread.  The caller said he knows of scouts who think Moncada is not very good and a "head case".  The host, I guess Levine, brought up attention deficit syndrome, whatever that is.