How much $/years would you offer Eovaldi?

caulfield12

15 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sox fans who asked for the rebuild now can't handle the rebuild. You just can't make this stuff up.

All Sox fans, or are you taking the reaction of one or two posters on this site and somehow wildly suggesting it is the opinion of an entire fan base?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

We had the worst year of the rebuild, when the GM said we would have the worst year of the rebuild.  Sox fans are upset that a rebuild is happening like a rebuild.

All Sox fans, or are you taking the reaction of one or two posters on this site and somehow wildly suggesting it is the opinion of an entire fan base?

• Like 1

I'm fine with being patient, but it would have been nice if at least one of the early trio of players called up looked like a star or solid MLB player immediately. If Eloy struggles out of the gate, this place is going to turn into a shitshow. There will be a Fire everyone thread created daily. I stand by the belief that this rebuild, if it works, is going to follow the path of the Royals. Nobody wants to hear it. The main difference is the Sox will end up spending enough to keep some of their guys around. I'm expecting a 2-3 year championship window at maximum. They better take advantage of it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Eovaldi would have interested me if he was never traded from the Rays this year. Same guy, same arm, same everything and you could've signed him for 3 years and $30mm. Now? I fear on postseason alone he's going to go for 4 years and $56mm.

I'd still kick the tires on him though. Can never have too much pitching. I'd max out at 4 years and $48mm.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Eovaldi would have interested me if he was never traded from the Rays this year. Same guy, same arm, same everything and you could've signed him for 3 years and $30mm. Now? I fear on postseason alone he's going to go for 4 years and $56mm.

I'd still kick the tires on him though. Can never have too much pitching. I'd max out at 4 years and $48mm.

A lot of contenders are going to have the same thought. 

On 10/25/2018 at 7:05 AM, caulfield12 said:
QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:47 AM) 
I will sit back and watch how the narrative changes now. Previously we were saying we'd compete for a playoff spot next year and a WS in 2020. If our team continues to progress slowly and play poorly, with the exception of a few pitchers, then those years need to be pushed back.

Even Hawk was saying 2020. If a lot goes right, next year they have a shot. It's not like you have to win 100 games to make the playoffs. But 2020 is probably more realistic.

From Dick Allen

Most were predicting at least low 70’s for wins this last March.  Not low 60’s or high 50’s, which was below the actual projected pace until the final two months of the season.  That narrative didn’t change until the middle of April.

Plus, everyone badly underestimated how putrid the entire AL Central would be after CLE, but the win total was still 5-10 lower than the consensus coming into the season on this particular board.

So, 2 guys on a message board thought we'd win 70 games in 19 and that's the conclusion you've drawn? Alrighty. 

17 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

So, 2 guys on a message board thought we'd win 70 games in 19 and that's the conclusion you've drawn? Alrighty. 

Board moderators, please put the original wins predicted for 2018 thread back up, before April 17th when everyone started revising their numbers downwards.

Thank you.

Edited by caulfield12

On 10/25/2018 at 10:29 AM, southsider2k5 said:

:lolhitting:lolhitting:lolhitting:lolhitting:lolhitting:lolhitting:lolhitting:lolhitting:lolhitting

Good, then you agree to cease and desist with blanket remarks supposedly representing an entire fan base, when said remarks are based solely on two or three Soxtalk poster’s points of view?  It would be helpful if you stopped that.  

• Thanks 1

Hopefully Eovaldi has expectations  to be a #1 or 2 starter somewhere and will cross the Red Sox off his list of suitors.  Remember his season turned around when Pedro Martinez spotted a blip in his delivery and worked w him to correct it. 

5 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Good, then you agree to cease and desist with blanket remarks supposedly representing an entire fan base, when said remarks are based solely on two or three Soxtalk poster’s points of view?  It would be helpful if you stopped that.  

Poor you.  I am sorry I keep hurting your feelings, but no, I won't stop telling the truth.

23 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I wouldn't invest in a guy with that injury history and high effort delivery. He looks like his arm is going to fly off with every pitch, and the grunting is annoying. I'll pass. 

We're employing James Shields right now who literally grunts on every pitch...

I'm convinced Eovaldi is going to get a deal similar to Samardzija. 5/90. I don't want the Sox to go anywhere near that. Eovaldi might get 5/100 Everyone thinking he's going to have to take a 4/48 or 3/42 are mistaken. He's the 3rd best option on the market after Kershaw and Corbin. If Kershaw stays in LA, then he's the second best option. Dude is going to get paid, and the team that pays him is going to regret it. 

But this is coming from a guy who thinks that most FA contracts in baseball and hockey end up hurting their team far more than helping them. If you're ok with having a payroll that approaches the luxury tax, be my guest. By the time a player reaches FA, their best years are most likely behind them. Machado and Harper are notable exceptions. For the most part, I only wish to dumpster dive in FA. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Eovaldi was only an option before the postseason.  We already have Giolito, Cease, Rodon, Dunning and Hansen to worry about health-wise.

The one thing nobody wants is a soft tossing lefty veteran, which is probably exactly what we need...at the right price.

Frankly, I’d go after Joe Kelly and start him again.  Nothing to lose.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

He'll be the starting pitcher version of Brandon Morrow. He was completely burned out in this past postseason and the effects of that will come next year. No thanks.

....Nate Eovaldi? The guy with a 1.61 era, under 1 WHIP and only 3 walks in 22 IP this post-season was burned out?

Edited by soxfan2014