Filibuster - Closed

Chisoxfn

Given the current political climate, Soxtalk has decided to close ( filibuster forum.  This move was not taken lightly by the admins/moderators (and for transparency, not everyone agreed with this move), however, given the current political climate, and how that climate can become so toxic (on both sides of the aisle), we have decided it is in the best interest of the forum to remove the "no holds bar" filibuster in an attempt to ensure increased civility on Soxtalk.  

Please note that while Filibuster has been closed, we are not banning "news" type stories from being posted. There are many topics discussed within the filibuster which can now be discussed within SLAP, however, the flexibility to be "less civil" will not exist. If you want to make posts, you need to stick 100% to the news. There will be no "slinging of mud" tolerated. Posts will be removed and suspensions will be levied. Purely "by the aisle" threads (republican vs. democrat) will not be tolerated, however, we do intend to have pinned threads around shortly before / after the election, to enable healthy dialogue around the elections (again, adherence to the rules will be key). Similarly, financial threads, etc, are all fair game (and those threads have been moved to SLAM), however, again, the focus should not be on the partisianism of the topic, but the facts.  

This change is one that we will continually evaluate in the best interest of the board and certainly look at all the members for various feedback in terms of how its going and ways to make it better. Similarly, when it comes to the rest of the site, we always look for similar feedback to help ensure we are having effective discussions and cordial communications. 

We are going to give everyone a "clean slate" from any past issues/run-ins on the political front, but on a go-forward basis heed the strong warning and remember, if you want to purely talk politics, there are other avenues to have more heated discussions and debate (whether you want to debate the other party or prefer to live in your own "ecco" chamber).  The threads that evolve into "light political" talk can remain, however, follow the rules. Do not make blanked comments around "republican are X or democrats are Y", etc. If you want to have those discussions, you can take those to a forum focused on that. 

This is a White Sox site first and foremast which has evolved into so much more. It truly is a community, one in which has new faces emerge and old faces sometimes depart (or go on hiatus before re-emerging). It started in the days before smart phones and has survived friendster, myspace, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.  Remember that "unity" we all have in common and treat people with respect.  

If you have questions feel free to post. We've always embraced open dialogue and feedback, but please remember the golden rule and think of the below quotes when you post on the site.

“If you and someone you love (or post with) have a difference of opinion on something, maybe its beset to let it stay that way. Respect each other's right to believe what you believe. Respect each other. Agree to disagree.”

“Often after arguing about differing opinions, I hear people say, "let's agree to disagree." I look forward to a time, so open-minded I'll hear people say, "I'm right and you can be, too” 

“Agreeing to disagree' isn't license to hold hateful and condemning beliefs about me as though it doesn't negatively impact our relationship.” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

No individual post; It's been a discussion point among the mods for a few months and I believe I had even posed the question to the general board a couple months back as well.  

Can we make a thread that’s rated R where everyone tries to come up with a potential post that would be worthy of closing the Filibuster?

The White Sox have been so terrible for so long, the main motivation I had to visit was Filibuster AND maybe discussing movies and a few other interests (financial).

The depressing thing here is that we're all supposed to be bonded by being White Sox fans...and yet the vitriol is so overwhelming that a community with shared interests can't get along.  (I'm also pretty sure if everyone on this board had actually met in real life at a Sox game and got to actually know each other, the tenor of conversations would be quite different, but that's obviously not feasible, some of us are thousands of miles away from Chicago.)

Imagine how poorly that augurs for the rest of American society, when their used to be more beliefs about who we are as Americans that united us together as one, rather than dividing us.  There used to be a sense of care/concern for anyone struggling in life, down on their luck, depressed or lonely...now there's more and more a prevailing sense that everyone is pretty much on their own, nobody can help you but yourself (and your family.)

In the end, the political system has won again.  They've managed to put the "common people" at each other's throats and distract them from the issues that really matter in the world.  We've gotten bogged down in details, gossip, scandals, conspiracies and minutiae.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox have been so terrible for so long, the main motivation I had to visit was Filibuster AND maybe discussing movies and a few other interests (financial).

The depressing thing here is that we're all supposed to be bonded by being White Sox fans...and yet the vitriol is so overwhelming that a community with shared interests can't get along.  (I'm also pretty sure if everyone on this board had actually met in real life at a Sox game and got to actually know each other, the tenor of conversations would be quite different, but that's obviously not feasible, some of us are thousands of miles away from Chicago.)

Imagine how poorly that augurs for the rest of American society, when their used to be more beliefs about who we are as Americans that united us together as one, rather than dividing us.  There used to be a sense of care/concern for anyone struggling in life, down on their luck, depressed or lonely...now there's more and more a prevailing sense that everyone is pretty much on their own, nobody can help you but yourself (and your family.)

In the end, the political system has won again.  They've managed to put the "common people" at each other's throats and distract them from the issues that really matter in the world.  We've gotten bogged down in details, gossip, scandals, conspiracies and minutiae.

Totally. I'm sure I'd love you guys - even Dam and SS2k5 - in person. In real life I'm friends with (and even work with on these campaigns) people who have very different political belief systems than I do.

10 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Totally. I'm sure I'd love you guys - even Dam and SS2k5 - in person. In real life I'm friends with (and even work with on these campaigns) people who have very different political belief systems than I do.

And I just like annoying you and playing Devil's Advocate to keep you on your toes...because I know you can take it as a professional campaigner (is that the right term, political advisor/consultant?) better than most.

I'll admit to taking out my exasperation on the Trump administration on various posters, because they essentially serve as surrogates for the administration (and they often aren't comfortable being lumped in together with the worst of Trump's instincts, that's the biggest source of conflict IMO) and they are the only available targets.  We don't have the ability to chase Trump's motorcade around on a bicycle and flip him the bird, or protest outside one of his golf clubs or properties.

(The fact that we even consider such "revenge-oriented" tactics is sad, obviously, but NO NO NO president has intentionally tried to divide the country and antagonize the other side as a political strategy on an EVERYDAY basis in my lifetime.  No president until now has been completely without empathy for his common man.   In fact, presidents like Reagan and both Bushes at least had the best interests of the country and not themselves at heart, they grew up in that time of common/shared sacrifice that's so lacking in nearly everyone today.  I was too young for Nixon and the civil rights/civil disobedience/Vietnam protest era, but even that seemed more uplifting and inspirational than what's going on today in America.)

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Given the current political climate, Soxtalk has decided to close ( filibuster forum.  This move was not taken lightly by the admins/moderators (and for transparency, not everyone agreed with this move), however, given the current political climate, and how that climate can become so toxic (on both sides of the aisle), we have decided it is in the best interest of the forum to remove the "no holds bar" filibuster in an attempt to ensure increased civility on Soxtalk.  

Please note that while Filibuster has been closed, we are not banning "news" type stories from being posted. There are many topics discussed within the filibuster which can now be discussed within SLAP, however, the flexibility to be "less civil" will not exist. If you want to make posts, you need to stick 100% to the news. There will be no "slinging of mud" tolerated. Posts will be removed and suspensions will be levied. Purely "by the aisle" threads (republican vs. democrat) will not be tolerated, however, we do intend to have pinned threads around shortly before / after the election, to enable healthy dialogue around the elections (again, adherence to the rules will be key). Similarly, financial threads, etc, are all fair game (and those threads have been moved to SLAM), however, again, the focus should not be on the partisianism of the topic, but the facts.  

This change is one that we will continually evaluate in the best interest of the board and certainly look at all the members for various feedback in terms of how its going and ways to make it better. Similarly, when it comes to the rest of the site, we always look for similar feedback to help ensure we are having effective discussions and cordial communications. 

We are going to give everyone a "clean slate" from any past issues/run-ins on the political front, but on a go-forward basis heed the strong warning and remember, if you want to purely talk politics, there are other avenues to have more heated discussions and debate (whether you want to debate the other party or prefer to live in your own "ecco" chamber).  The threads that evolve into "light political" talk can remain, however, follow the rules. Do not make blanked comments around "republican are X or democrats are Y", etc. If you want to have those discussions, you can take those to a forum focused on that. 

This is a White Sox site first and foremast which has evolved into so much more. It truly is a community, one in which has new faces emerge and old faces sometimes depart (or go on hiatus before re-emerging). It started in the days before smart phones and has survived friendster, myspace, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc.  Remember that "unity" we all have in common and treat people with respect.  

If you have questions feel free to post. We've always embraced open dialogue and feedback, but please remember the golden rule and think of the below quotes when you post on the site.

I like to use the Craig Ferguson rules to marriage and posting on websites.

1. Does it need to be said.

2. Does it need to be said.....by me.

3. Does it need to be said....by me......now.

Saves a great deal of grief in marriage.

I honestly think it's a smart move and wish all sports message boards took this leap.  Another board I'm on dropped it for a bit...then brought it back and honestly all it does is stir bad blood.  Times we live in I guess. Good lord...the responses on Facebook or news pages are bad enough.  One of the reasons I dropped Facebook (I have a fake/burner page now and don't follow any people).  But the vitriol is ridiculous.  Each side digs in and won't back down thinking "their news source" is the accurate one lol.  It's tribalism at it's best.   Personally...I think that's how our "leaders" want it...keep the masses at each other's throats...and it keeps them in business.  

Plus...I can't imagine having to moderate that bullshit.  Anyway...I applaud the move.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Boo, this is unfortunate.

This was one of the few places I actually liked discussing politics because the board isn't full of brainless trolls with IQ's I can count on one hand. 😕

Has it been discussed if you can you bring back the 'Buster as a private/invisible forum or something, so those of us who want to be a part of it can be? I understand we're free to discuss politics elsewhere, but ... like I said ... I only enjoy discussing politics WITH THE FINE CITIZENS OF SOXTALK. Yes, it can get heated at times, but that happens when you discuss things people are passionate about...

#BRINGBACKTHEBUSTER

• Like 1

This is disappointing. I learned a lot about politics and both sides from this board, since Facebook and social media is so nasty compared to the civility I usually see here. It’s too bad that people attacking others couldn’t get a slap on the wrist as opposed to the whole board being shut down. I was glad to get insights from different sources I wouldn’t have seen otherwise and was glad to discuss local politics with some of you as well.

All I hope for is that eventually, we will be stronger as a nation when a sense of normalcy is restored and we can move forward unified together as one nation. I’ll check back when there is something newsworthy with the White Sox.

• Like 1

I just want to add that there will be no civility. YOU WILL NOT SILENCE US, EVILDOERS! If you see a Soxtalk admin at a restaurant, I encourage you to yell and scream at them until they #BRINGBACKTHEBUSTER!

LOL

Sorry, this was like a hanging curve.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Y2HH said:

Boo, this is unfortunate.

This was one of the few places I actually liked discussing politics because the board isn't full of brainless trolls with IQ's I can count on one hand. 😕

Has it been discussed if you can you bring back the 'Buster as a private/invisible forum or something, so those of us who want to be a part of it can be? I understand we're free to discuss politics elsewhere, but ... like I said ... I only enjoy discussing politics WITH THE FINE CITIZENS OF SOXTALK. Yes, it can get heated at times, but that happens when you discuss things people are passionate about...

#BRINGBACKTHEBUSTER

I liked the Buster. When I first started here many moons ago, I almost exclusively posted on PHT. Sometime in those last 15+ years, I moved to posting almost exclusively outside of PHT. 

I can really understand why the Buster may be a risk to have on a sports board, but I also think it gave this message board something different. 

Id crusade for the buster.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 2:09 PM, Chisoxfn said:

I wondered why I stopped getting notifications. Anyways personally I like to expose myself (ugh tried to find a better way to say this couldn't) to different ideas whether that be sports or politics. I find it extremely boring to read like minded articles or just talk with friends who agree with me. 

And for me anyways I'm always open to the possibility my first inclination on a subject is wrong.

So I was fine with it. For me the quest on that forum wasn't so much to agree to disagree it's to disagree without being disagreeable.

Edited by wrathofhahn

17 hours ago, Wanne said:

I honestly think it's a smart move and wish all sports message boards took this leap.  Another board I'm on dropped it for a bit...then brought it back and honestly all it does is stir bad blood.  Times we live in I guess. Good lord...the responses on Facebook or news pages are bad enough.  One of the reasons I dropped Facebook (I have a fake/burner page now and don't follow any people).  But the vitriol is ridiculous.  Each side digs in and won't back down thinking "their news source" is the accurate one lol.  It's tribalism at it's best.   Personally...I think that's how our "leaders" want it...keep the masses at each other's throats...and it keeps them in business.  

Plus...I can't imagine having to moderate that bullshit.  Anyway...I applaud the move.

670 the Score and the Chicago Tribune neutered any political conversation over the airwaves and in the comments section. I think that I do agree that the administration and our fearless leader wants it that way, just like the media outlets do.

I enjoyed the Buster obviously. It has to die, though, because if somebody made a long thought out response, usually rather than that open up a nice discussion, somebody would grab one small portion, usually out of context, and then all hell broke loose. Let's face it. The left is intolerant. The right is intolerant. It's impossible to hold political discussions. Just ask any family that makes that mistake after a few beers at a holiday party.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I enjoyed the Buster obviously. It has to die, though, because if somebody made a long thought out response, usually rather than that open up a nice discussion, somebody would grab one small portion, usually out of context, and then all hell broke loose. Let's face it. The left is intolerant. The right is intolerant. It's impossible to hold political discussions. Just ask any family that makes that mistake after a few beers at a holiday party.

Meh. Sometimes true sometimes not. I’ve held plenty of good discussions there, and yes, others weren’t so productive ... but in the end it was worth it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Y2HH said:

Meh. Sometimes true sometimes not. I’ve held plenty of good discussions there, and yes, others weren’t so productive ... but in the end it was worth it.

I loved it but in supporting myself I can say normally my long posts and positions were either not correctly explained by me, or peeps took one line out of context and made me appear evil at best, a simpleton at worst. ... I do believe in this day and age there aren't many people who can hold a civil discussion about politics, about abortion, about gay marriage and rights (the cake), about the borders and about Kavanagh and Trump.

On a light note, this is one of my favorite SNL skits of the modern era on political discussions ...      

Edited by greg775