Market/Financial Thread

Chisoxfn

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I just read an article on CNN, students are using their student loans to invest.  Once a few of those stories get out,  both from the winners and the losers,  it will make any student loan relief harder to pass. 

Just like Leon Cooperman said yesterday, look at all of those poors using their stimulus checks to mess with all of these innocent rich people.  How dare they 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Just like Leon Cooperman said yesterday, look at all of those poors using their stimulus checks to mess with all of these innocent rich people.  How dare they 

At this point, it's a pump and dump trying to leave other lower info retail investors with the bag. This rich vs. poor stuff is silly. The wsb reddit is not a bunch of poors, they have insane risk tolerance but have a decent amount of capital to put up as well. At this point its a bunch of people being sold lies that there will be people on the other side of their sale. Eventually there will not.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

At this point, it's a pump and dump trying to leave other lower info retail investors with the bag. This rich vs. poor stuff is silly. The wsb reddit is not a bunch of poors, they have insane risk tolerance but have a decent amount of capital to put up as well. At this point its a bunch of people being sold lies that there will be people on the other side of their sale. Eventually there will not.

What is happening with DOGE is criminal. These people dont realize they are the marks in the con. 

(edit)

And guys like Big Cat at Barstool should get hit with SEC violations if they have any and are pumping it. 

Edited by Soxbadger

1 hour ago, bmags said:

We are super aligned.  

I'm shocked at all the people who think what is happening is okay - everyone should recognize it is the regular person who is going to get crushed at the end of the day. What Gamestop - a brick and mortar gaming company (in a world of digital) - is going to maintain a $10B + market cap for the next how many years?  Come on now - a ton of people are going to lose a lot of money in this. 

This is no different than a ponzi scheme where the early entrants will get rich and everyone else will be left holding the bag.  I get the overall sentiment - and I'd agree there needs to be more evaluating on the shorters on the market and there is never any doubt to me that the big shops have an advantage (more data / more access / more scale which can drive momentum desired ways) - but I am just so anti what is happening right now - because literally - it is a bubble - and when it bursts - everyone still owning shares (which are going to be regular people) are going to end up losing big chunks of money.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

We are super aligned.  

I'm shocked at all the people who think what is happening is okay - everyone should recognize it is the regular person who is going to get crushed at the end of the day. What Gamestop - a brick and mortar gaming company (in a world of digital) - is going to maintain a $10B + market cap for the next how many years?  Come on now - a ton of people are going to lose a lot of money in this. 

This is no different than a ponzi scheme where the early entrants will get rich and everyone else will be left holding the bag.  I get the overall sentiment - and I'd agree there needs to be more evaluating on the shorters on the market and there is never any doubt to me that the big shops have an advantage (more data / more access / more scale which can drive momentum desired ways) - but I am just so anti what is happening right now - because literally - it is a bubble - and when it bursts - everyone still owning shares (which are going to be regular people) are going to end up losing big chunks of money.  

Gamestop isnt a pump and dump or ponzi scheme, its a short squeeze. Eventually it will crash but the theory (and I dont know if they are correct on the outstanding positions) is that the shorts are due today and that the hedge funds are going to have to buy it up even further. At that point it would need to be sold.

DOGE is a ponzi scheme. Its trading dollars for monopoly money trying to convince your friend to do the same. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

How is DOGE different from any other crypto?

Well unlike BTC it has no cap. Therefore there is no scarcity. Without scarcity what is it worth? 

(edit)

I am also still skeptical of BTC, but as it is the premier crypto it does have value. 

Edited by Soxbadger

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

We are super aligned.  

That's the thing.   I know so many people are caught up in the sticking it to the man aspect, but two things stand out.

#1, this is a classic pump and dump scheme, all of the way down to the coordination.  It's illegal and it always has been.

#2, this IS going to pop, and when it does, there are going to be a lot of people who get caught trying to catch a falling knife.  When it goes, it will be ugly, and a LOT of people are going to lose fortunes.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's the thing.   I know so many people are caught up in the sticking it to the man aspect, but two things stand out.

#1, this is a classic pump and dump scheme, all of the way down to the coordination.  It's illegal and it always has been.

#2, this IS going to pop, and when it does, there are going to be a lot of people who get caught trying to catch a falling knife.  When it goes, it will be ugly, and a LOT of people are going to lose fortunes.

If it was just a pump and dump, wouldnt the dump have already occurred? Unless you are saying all short squeezes are pump and dumps. They are trying to replicate VW.

21 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Gamestop isnt a pump and dump or ponzi scheme, its a short squeeze. Eventually it will crash but the theory (and I dont know if they are correct on the outstanding positions) is that the shorts are due today and that the hedge funds are going to have to buy it up even further. At that point it would need to be sold.

DOGE is a ponzi scheme. Its trading dollars for monopoly money trying to convince your friend to do the same. 

No - at this point - the whole keep buying game stop is a ponzi scheme - everyone in that who is late to the party is getting duped and is going to get burned. Period.  You are buying nothing but a gigantically inflated asset.  The only way to get out of that asset is to sell and at some point - people are going to sell. I can't imagine all of these people are going to keep owning gamestop for years to keep this up.  

Once the shorters lose - fine - they lost - but you still have all of this retail money in the stock - at some point the bubble is going to burst and valuations are going to be what they are and when that happens.....all those retail investors are going to get burned.  The big shops - with diversified portfolios - they'll have a big loss here - but they'll survive with the diversification of their portfolios - but the little guy/gal - who went heavy into this play and overplayed their hand - they won't get it back and it will set many people back years.

Note: Lets not pretend there aren't some people out there who had worked hard to save up $50K or $100K and decided to put a big chunk in this. Yeah - there will be some who do great and got out when the getting was good...but all they really did was take the money of the other mom and pop investors who played the hand and didn't get out in time.  

Hope everyone feels good - you think you are getting the hedge fund - and you might - but the collateral damage will be all the other mom and pop investors that got robbed when the bubble bursts (and yeah - those people who lose - well that is on them too - cause they are responsible for their actions).  

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If it was just a pump and dump, wouldnt the dump have already occurred? Unless you are saying all short squeezes are pump and dumps. They are trying to replicate VW.

They are pumping and pumping - the dump hasn't happened and when it starts to - people are doubly hyping the pump and using this fake socially just cause to toy with people's emotions - but that will make the dump all that more historic and quite frankly sad.  Because there are going to be a lot of people burned in the dust - and those who feel the hurt the most are going to be regular people who got torched.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

No - at this point - the whole keep buying game stop is a ponzi scheme - everyone in that who is late to the party is getting duped and is going to get burned. Period.  You are buying nothing but a gigantically inflated asset.  The only way to get out of that asset is to sell and at some point - people are going to sell. I can't imagine all of these people are going to keep owning gamestop for years to keep this up.  

Once the shorters lose - fine - they lost - but you still have all of this retail money in the stock - at some point the bubble is going to burst and valuations are going to be what they are and when that happens.....all those retail investors are going to get burned.  The big shops - with diversified portfolios - they'll have a big loss here - but they'll survive with the diversification of their portfolios - but the little guy/gal - who went heavy into this play and overplayed their hand - they won't get it back and it will set many people back years.

Note: Lets not pretend there aren't some people out there who had worked hard to save up $50K or $100K and decided to put a big chunk in this. Yeah - there will be some who do great and got out when the getting was good...but all they really did was take the money of the other mom and pop investors who played the hand and didn't get out in time.  

Hope everyone feels good - you think you are getting the hedge fund - and you might - but the collateral damage will be all the other mom and pop investors that got robbed when the bubble bursts (and yeah - those people who lose - well that is on them too - cause they are responsible for their actions).  

The belief is that the majority of shorters are still out there. I personally am not trading GME, but their theory is that the majority of the buy is still out there and it is going to replicate the VW short squeeze. That isnt a ponzi scheme, that is a sophisticated trading move that probably 90% of people had never even heard about prior to this week. Im not even sure how many people even knew what shortselling is prior to this week. But it was a very coordinated move.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The pump is still happening.

That would be stupid. The original money came in under $50. No way would any pump and dump not liquidate at $300 plus. The capital on the move believes the short squeeze is still out there. 

• Thanks 1

“Due to extraordinary market conditions, we've temporarily turned off Instant Buying power for crypto,” Robinhood said in a statement to press. “Customers can still use settled funds to buy crypto. We'll keep monitoring market conditions and communicating with our customers.”

Robinhood did not say, in its statement or in its blog post about the restriction, what the extraordinary conditions were, nor did it cite specific cryptocurrencies. But bitcoin (BTC-USD) was up 15% on Friday, a bounce accelerated by Elon Musk on Twitter; meme-based token dogecoin (DOGE-USD) was up 165%, fueled by social media.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/robinhood-restricts-instant-buying-of-crypto-citing-extraordinary-market-conditions-171153654.html

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They are pumping and pumping - the dump hasn't happened and when it starts to - people are doubly hyping the pump and using this fake socially just cause to toy with people's emotions - but that will make the dump all that more historic and quite frankly sad.  Because there are going to be a lot of people burned in the dust - and those who feel the hurt the most are going to be regular people who got torched.  

The stock has been volatile but relatively flat. You dont waste your time pumping. There is no way that they can pump it from $300+. They are legitimately relying on a short squeeze burst.

You would actually have made more money by trading the volatility of the stock than pumping it once it got past 200 or so. 

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

The belief is that the majority of shorters are still out there. I personally am not trading GME, but their theory is that the majority of the buy is still out there and it is going to replicate the VW short squeeze. That isnt a ponzi scheme, that is a sophisticated trading move that probably 90% of people had never even heard about prior to this week. Im not even sure how many people even knew what shortselling is prior to this week. But it was a very coordinated move.

That would be stupid. The original money came in under $50. No way would any pump and dump not liquidate at $300 plus. The capital on the move believes the short squeeze is still out there. 

Call it what you want, but there is still TONS of money flooding into a company that probably won't exist in a few years.  THAT is stupid.

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I will say this, one of the things I always see on the investing subreddits is the notion of "only invest money that you're ok with losing." Yes, there are people who say they're YOLOing their lifesavings into a stock, but in the comments I often see the above concept. Along with advice like "make sure you keep XX for taxes."

I invested $400 when the market was low onto Robinhood (since moved to WeBull). That's grown to $7k. I haven't invested any separate money into it because I was ok with losing that $400, but nothing else.

Once the squeeze got out of the subreddit/discord/etc., well, that's where damage is gonna happen. There are going to be people holding the bag at the end of this, but the short sellers are also going to feel a lot of pain. That's who WSB was mainly targeting - everyone just decided to ride the wave. (Note: I'm not in on GME, because, well, I didn't think it'd take off).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

The stock has been volatile but relatively flat. You dont waste your time pumping. There is no way that they can pump it from $300+. They are legitimately relying on a short squeeze burst.

You would actually have made more money by trading the volatility of the stock than pumping it once it got past 200 or so. 

I just think you are being naive to think that normal retail investors aren't pouring money into this stock late in the game where prices on the stock are well aboved the $50 you throw out. Yeah - everyone who was in early is going to make out like a bandit  - zero doubt about it - but I'm telling you - the collateral damage are going to be a heck of a lot of retail investors getting hurt. I'm not doubting the short squeeze will work - I'm more calling out everyone who says this is some social justice thing - when they are ignoring the massive collateral damage and pain that is going to be felt by real people / average retail investor (not the big boys & girls - the average people).  

Just now, Soxbadger said:

No.  The intraday volatility is off of the charts.  Like I can't think of anything like this in 23 years of working in the industry off of the charts.  Today's range is 290 to 415 on 30 million shares on a 47 million float.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Call it what you want, but there is still TONS of money flooding into a company that probably won't exist in a few years.  THAT is stupid.

Its not a long term play. But trading volatility never is. You hold contracts for 15 minutes. 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I just think you are being naive to think that normal retail investors aren't pouring money into this stock late in the game where prices on the stock are well aboved the $50 you throw out. Yeah - everyone who was in early is going to make out like a bandit  - zero doubt about it - but I'm telling you - the collateral damage are going to be a heck of a lot of retail investors. I'm not doubting the short squeeze will work - I'm more calling out everyone who says this is some social justice thing - when they are ignoring the massive collateral damange and pain that is going to be felt by real people / average retail investor (not the big boys & girls - the average people).  

Normal retail investors dont have the buying power to move a company from 50 to 300. There are other hedge funds moving the action. You cant really believe that 5 lots can do this. 

AMC and NOKIA had 1bil volume the other day each. That is an insane amount of money that retail traders dont have access to.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Is there anything Gamestop et al. could do to take advantage of this to support the company (i.e. issuing more shares or something like that)?

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No.  The intraday volatility is off of the charts.  Like I can't think of anything like this in 23 years of working in the industry off of the charts.  Today's range is 290 to 415 on 30 million shares on a 47 million float.

Right intraday volatility, but at the end of the day its been flat. A proper pump would see gains at the end every day. People are making the real money on volatility after it went to $300. Its nothing more than trading commodities in a pit.