Market/Financial Thread

Chisoxfn

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Is there anything Gamestop et al. could do to take advantage of this to support the company (i.e. issuing more shares or something like that)?

Hertz tried to do this in similar circumstances, but you have to possess a viable business model/turnaround strategy that reasonable investors could buy into.

4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Its not a long term play. But trading volatility never is. You hold contracts for 15 minutes. 

Normal retail investors dont have the buying power to move a company from 50 to 300. There are other hedge funds moving the action. You cant really believe that 5 lots can do this. 

AMC and NOKIA had 1bil volume the other day each. That is an insane amount of money that retail traders dont have access to.

I don't think you get my point - the diversified shops are going to be fine - they will.  It is the smaller people/lots who will get the most burned. They will.  

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is there anything Gamestop et al. could do to take advantage of this to support the company (i.e. issuing more shares or something like that)?

Insiders could be selling their stock.  No wait.

Realistically, no.  I mean they could try to do a secondary issuance to raise funds, but that would probably serve as a bomb to this, and they probably don't have time to file the paperwork for it before this blows up.  Ultimately they are in a failing business model, and unless they can monetize this in the stores, it is worthless to them.

So, I want to know where this concern was when small pharmaceutical company Zomedica had over a billion in volume two weeks ago ... mainly fueled by a Carole Baskin cameo video and reddit.

It seems like it could be a good product when it launches in March. Buuuuut did Wall Street give half a fuck about this one? No, because big firms weren't getting burned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My initial guess is nothing - its management, if it has options, etc - could probably find ways to cash out and all of that - but even than - they have to be careful because the most senior people usually just have scheduled type plays.  

And you can't put a bunch more stock out on the market without going through proper SEC registration filings etc - and those take time.  And no way you want to do a buy-back at this point haha.  Maybe they have some treasury stock (i.e., stuff they had bought back when they didn't like the valuation out there) that they could get out on the street to generate capital - but my presumption is they don't have many ways to really capitalize on this.

If anything - you wonder if there are any wripple effects on them as a company after this is done (either good or bad).  

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't think you get my point - the diversified shops are going to be fine - they will.  It is the smaller people/lots who will get the most burned. They will.  

Smaller people who try and do short term trading almost always get burned. I dont disagree with that at all. 

(edit)

All I am trying to explain is that the original attack on the short sale Gamestop positions was not a pump and dump. The small time investors who saw it on tv were not the marks of the original trade. That is why it wasnt a pump and dump. 

Edited by Soxbadger

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Insiders could be selling their stock.  No wait.

Realistically, no.  I mean they could try to do a secondary issuance to raise funds, but that would probably serve as a bomb to this, and they probably don't have time to file the paperwork for it before this blows up.  Ultimately they are in a failing business model, and unless they can monetize this in the stores, it is worthless to them.

The guy who started this whole thing actually really thought GME was undervalued.  He had legit analysis to back that up and you can watch his videos on it.  He was in it long term at $4/share and was thinking it would go back up to 20-40 a share long term.  He really didn't understand why it was being shorted so much and saw a value play in it.

The short squeeze is taking on another life though, this is not just a pump and dump, people are betting that the shorters HAVE to buy at their price.  Will that happen?  No idea, but that's the gamble.  Many are saying they will hold no matter what, I think that's stupid at these prices but it's not my money.

What I don't agree with is investors putting money from funds they can't afford into this, there is still major risk no matter what WSB folks say.  Those are the folks getting duped.  Investors like me that have put in $1500 into it as a lottery ticket are very different.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigruss said:

The guy who started this whole thing actually really thought GME was undervalued.  He had legit analysis to back that up and you can watch his videos on it.  He was in it long term at $4/share and was thinking it would go back up to 20-40 a share long term.  He really didn't understand why it was being shorted so much and saw a value play in it.

The short squeeze is taking on another life though, this is not just a pump and dump, people are betting that the shorters HAVE to buy at their price.  Will that happen?  No idea, but that's the gamble.  Many are saying they will hold no matter what, I think that's stupid at these prices but it's not my money.

What I don't agree with is investors putting money from funds they can't afford into this, there is still major risk no matter what WSB folks say.  Those are the folks getting duped.  Investors like me that have put in $1500 into it as a lottery ticket are very different.  

And then coordinated a few million people to all buy the stock.

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Smaller people who try and do short term trading almost always get burned. I dont disagree with that at all. 

(edit)

All I am trying to explain is that the original attack on the short sale Gamestop positions was not a pump and dump. The small time investors who saw it on tv were not the marks of the original trade. That is why it wasnt a pump and dump. 

I can buy into the initial smaller time item - but at this point - it is what it is. And you can say small investors aren't driving this - the thing is - everyone and their brother/sister are buying this thing - so the # of small investors purchasing individual GameStop stock is crazy at the moment.  My neighbors, random coworkers - it is out of control how many people are buying it (most presumably in small scale - but all of those masses add up).  

Maybe it means none of the small scale people will get hurt - cause everyone is just dabbling $1500 that will eventually drop to $300 and whatever. I don't know - but I'm a fundamental investor who doesn't dabble in these type of items. Maybe I got hurt not playing this - maybe the opposite - but in the long-run I'll take my bet on long term sustained capital & income generation.  Tried & True formula for sustained success.  

5 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Right intraday volatility, but at the end of the day its been flat. A proper pump would see gains at the end every day. People are making the real money on volatility after it went to $300. Its nothing more than trading commodities in a pit.

Go back and look at the daily closes for this stock.  the SMALLEST daily change is almost 20%.  That is anything but flat.

1/22 $65.01 

1/25 $76.79 +18.01%

1/26 $147.98  +94%

1/27  $347.51 +134.84%

1/28 $193.60 -44.29%

No idea what a "proper pump" is, but I think you are trying to fit this incident into a box that doesn't exist.  Market forces aren't linear, and there are other people involved in this other than the people trying to manipulate the market.

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can buy into the initial smaller time item - but at this point - it is what it is. And you can say small investors aren't driving this - the thing is - everyone and their brother/sister are buying this thing - so the # of small investors purchasing individual GameStop stock is crazy at the moment.  My neighbors, random coworkers - it is out of control how many people are buying it (most presumably in small scale - but all of those masses add up).  

Maybe it means none of the small scale people will get hurt - cause everyone is just dabbling $1500 that will eventually drop to $300 and whatever. I don't know - but I'm a fundamental investor who doesn't dabble in these type of items. Maybe I got hurt not playing this - maybe the opposite - but in the long-run I'll take my bet on long term sustained capital & income generation.  Tried & True formula for sustained success.  

I could have done this for a living. I traded with globex on the floor of the CME when I was in college.

I chose a life where I can just invest long term try and hit 7%-10% per yeat and be fine.

I know the type of people behind WSB, they existed in the 80s too. Bears make money, bulls make money, pigs get slaughtered. One day their number will come up on the wrong side of the trade.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Go back and look at the daily closes for this stock.  the SMALLEST daily change is almost 20%.  That is anything but flat.

1/22 $65.01 

1/25 $76.79 +18.01%

1/26 $147.98  +94%

1/27  $347.51 +134.84%

1/28 $193.60 -44.29%

No idea what a "proper pump" is, but I think you are trying to fit this incident into a box that doesn't exist.  Market forces aren't linear, and there are other people involved in this other than the people trying to manipulate the market.

I meant the top end is flat. As I said previously youd have made more money trading the volatility than waiting on it to pump after 300.

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And then coordinated a few million people to all buy the stock.

I mean, he posted in September 2019 when WSB was significantly smaller and got practically laughed off the subreddit. He then stuck to his guns.

That's not coordination, it's him putting out his research and others going "huh, yeah, OK." It's way better than Jim Cramer running around and slamming his buy/sell buttons.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, he posted in September 2019 when WSB was significantly smaller and got practically laughed off the subreddit. He then stuck to his guns.

That's not coordination, it's him putting out his research and others going "huh, yeah, OK." It's way better than Jim Cramer running around and slamming his buy/sell buttons.

Literally the only things he has ever posted was his research and then an update on his position every once in a while. Calling that coordinating millions of people is insane. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Especially one that is orgainzed.

You mean like how hedge funds pool resources to make coordiated moves?

Or maybe like floor traders who curb traded in the 80s by switching orders on their cards?

As long as he revealed his position and interest, what he did is just as above board as what has gone on over the last 50 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Literally the only things he has ever posted was his research and then an update on his position every once in a while. Calling that coordinating millions of people is insane. 

Financial newsletters / articles saying "stocks that are hot right now" "stocks poised to plummet" are WAY more egregious posting research and updates.

And not even in the same realm as hedge fund managers going on CNBC/Fox Business/CNN Money and talking about companies while not disclosing their positions.

7 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

You mean like how hedge funds pool resources to make coordiated moves?

Or maybe like floor traders who curb traded in the 80s by switching orders on their cards?

As long as he revealed his position and interest, what he did is just as above board as what has gone on over the last 50 years.

A hedge fund is one legal entity.  It can invest however it likes as long as it doesn't work with other funds to do coordinate their actions.

The second one is a crime, and should be charged.

You can keep throwing out whataboutisms, but it doesn't change the underlying facts here.

This is closer to the LIBOR fixing that happened.  A group of people got together and agreed to do the same thing in the markets, which is illegal.  Billions of dollars in fines were paid from that.

36 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I could have done this for a living. I traded with globex on the floor of the CME when I was in college.

I chose a life where I can just invest long term try and hit 7%-10% per yeat and be fine.

I know the type of people behind WSB, they existed in the 80s too. Bears make money, bulls make money, pigs get slaughtered. One day their number will come up on the wrong side of the trade.

Now if only the Sox made any money, then they'd be able to actually sign the free agents they need.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Financial newsletters / articles saying "stocks that are hot right now" "stocks poised to plummet" are WAY more egregious posting research and updates.

And not even in the same realm as hedge fund managers going on CNBC/Fox Business/CNN Money and talking about companies while not disclosing their positions.

Those people are also properly licensed and following FINRA rules and regulations.