Market/Financial Thread

Chisoxfn

Which Vanguard Fund would you feel most confident parking a significant amount of money in for the next 15-20 years, and why?

Some of the ones I’m currently looking at (yes, another list!)

vpmcx

visvx

vmvix

vmvax

vpccx

vtsix

vtiax (super popular with FIRE crowd, so maybe tack the opposite direction, haha)

vghcx (health care seems as logical a place as any, right?)

vtwax

vwinx

vigax

vimax

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Which Vanguard Fund would you feel most confident parking a significant amount of money in for the next 15-20 years, and why?

Some of the ones I’m currently looking at (yes, another list!)

vpmcx

visvx

vmvix

vmvax

vpccx

vtsix 

vtiax (super popular with FIRE crowd, so maybe tack the opposite direction, haha)

vghcx (health care seems as logical a place as any, right?)

vtwax

vwinx

vigax

vimax

I parked a substantial amount (to me anyway) in VBIAX.  I'm not particularly risk tolerant, and it has the proper asset mix to diversify at my (and my wife's) age with one fund. I also have a bit of money in VTI which I am funding from dividends on the VBIAX fund.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

whatever one is either the total market index or the target date retirement one, which is where the bulk of our retirement savings are. they're dirt-cheap and perform well. you pay a pretty small premium with vanguard for the target date management.

VTSMX?  

Vtthx (2030), vthrx (2035), vforx (2040) three of the investment target date one with four star ratings and lower/ed risk...

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

VTSMX?  

Vtthx (2030), vthrx (2035), vforx (2040) three of the investment target date one with four star ratings and lower/ed risk...

The 3 I have are:

VFIAX - SP 500

VTSAX - Total Market

VTIVX- Retirement 2045

(Edit)

I also have a much smaller amount in DFCEX, which is emerging markets, kind of a swerve against US stuff.

Edited by Soxbadger

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

VTSMX?  

Honestly I'd have to look it up. It's all been set to the same auto-invest for several years now. Once every other month or so I'll check Fidelity's full view retirement planner thing to see Number Go Up

edit: the fun thing with those retirement planners are how sensitive they are to initial conditions if you're still a couple of decades out from retirement. based on fidelity's three choices, "significantly below average, below average, average" market returns from today through the end of the plan, we could be anywhere from ~3k/month short in retirement to having ~$9k/month extra. that's, uh, kinda a broad range.

Edited by StrangeSox

22 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Honestly I'd have to look it up. It's all been set to the same auto-invest for several years now. Once every other month or so I'll check Fidelity's full view retirement planner thing to see Number Go Up

edit: the fun thing with those retirement planners are how sensitive they are to initial conditions if you're still a couple of decades out from retirement. based on fidelity's three choices, "significantly below average, below average, average" market returns from today through the end of the plan, we could be anywhere from ~3k/month short in retirement to having ~$9k/month extra. that's, uh, kinda a broad range.

That’s because they are throwing that traditional 60/40 stocks and bond mix ratio out because of the expected or projected fall in the average rate of return for portfolios the next 10-15 years down in the 3-7% ROI range...basically trying to scare everyone into being more aggressive with bond and CD rates at historical lows, 1-2.5%, which doesn’t even keep pace with taxes and inflation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While it’s fun to talk about the winners in the world, here is one I’m losing on. Drive Shack, a Top Golf type entertainment venue. I really thought with things opening up and some new markets they were moving into they would make a nice move. I expected to hold it three to six months tops. I’m down a couple grand so I’m now considering them a long time hold lol. 

Bonus mistake, OGI a Canadian marijuana grower and retailer. Just as they gained momentum, signing a nice cooperative agreement with a tobacco company,  COVID wiped out half their workers, they missed earnings projections, reshuffled their executive team, and lost me a thousand. I’m hoping for a tough winter in Canada that keeps people indoors and looking for “recreation”. 

Thank you Thor Industries for covering all my losses plus a little to sleep on. 

if you listened to everybody on the internet or TV you'd think there's only winners. 

i've been sitting on Coeur Mining going on 5? 6? years and still down. Can't wait to see the price this morning after Gold plummeted last night. 

Outside of that have been doing pretty well, but I'm not trying to find the "next" stock that often. I am happy putting my money into safe stocks like Amazon, Apple, Google and just letting it ride.

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

if you listened to everybody on the internet or TV you'd think there's only winners. 

i've been sitting on Coeur Mining going on 5? 6? years and still down. Can't wait to see the price this morning after Gold plummeted last night. 

Outside of that have been doing pretty well, but I'm not trying to find the "next" stock that often. I am happy putting my money into safe stocks like Amazon, Apple, Google and just letting it ride.

I often find the misses to be more interesting and often better lessons. 

On 8/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, Texsox said:

While it’s fun to talk about the winners in the world, here is one I’m losing on. Drive Shack, a Top Golf type entertainment venue. I really thought with things opening up and some new markets they were moving into they would make a nice move. I expected to hold it three to six months tops. I’m down a couple grand so I’m now considering them a long time hold lol. 

Bonus mistake, OGI a Canadian marijuana grower and retailer. Just as they gained momentum, signing a nice cooperative agreement with a tobacco company,  COVID wiped out half their workers, they missed earnings projections, reshuffled their executive team, and lost me a thousand. I’m hoping for a tough winter in Canada that keeps people indoors and looking for “recreation”. 

Thank you Thor Industries for covering all my losses plus a little to sleep on. 

A few years ago I bought some Blue Apron to hold for a month or two and then I was going to put it into Microsoft all because I wanted to avoid a $9 trading fee.=

Since that day Blue Apron is down 93% and Microsoft is up over 100%. Thankfully I had a bunch of other Microsoft, but it was the last time I bought a stock of a product/service I dont personally believe in.

5 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

That has been mostly my approach as well, along with a few tech stocks I enjoy using myself like Roku, Take-Two, Peloton, etc. All have done pretty well for me too, but who knows what the future holds. 

I also realized I had too much in my savings (humblebrag?!?) and it's doing jack shit sitting there, so just put a decent amount into the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF and just let it ride for years. I feel pretty safe doing that....

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

That has been mostly my approach as well, along with a few tech stocks I enjoy using myself like Roku, Take-Two, Peloton, etc. All have done pretty well for me too, but who knows what the future holds. 

I also realized I had too much in my savings (humblebrag?!?) and it's doing jack shit sitting there, so just put a decent amount into the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF and just let it ride for years. I feel pretty safe doing that....

Yeah I feel VFIAX is about as safe as you can play it. I also have some VTSAX. They perform pretty similarly. 

49 minutes ago, Tony said:

These are such underrated tools.  Chasing stocks is nice, but things like DIA and QQQ make your retirement. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

In general the strategy you are putting in play will out perform everyone chatting it up in here. It’s okay to add some play stocks or home run shots but I call the index the solid double. You will always like it - and less likely to strike out vs going for broke every time. 

Key is always being willing to stomach the lows. If you sell when shit hits the fan - you will miss the appreciation back and have a far worse return (that also means you have enough in reserves to stomach that) and sometimes having some cash on side allows that - even allows a bit of risking up when times are bad…which is my approach - singles and doubles with the ocassional pushing in of chips when markets are turbulent. I am not looking to time bottom - just looking to get discounts on quality stocks. 

The above play worked very well when everything hit the fan last year. 

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These are such underrated tools.  Chasing stocks is nice, but things like DIA and QQQ make your retirement. 

Call me crazy but long term 8 percent plus returns is right up my alley. If you leverage your when markets are down - you will see a bit better emerge and I’m not greedy. Double your money every 7-8 years and build one source of passive earnings that is super tax efficient (at least compared to a normal w-2 person). 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 10:40 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't give much public financial advice, but I realistically see Tesla with a 1 trillion dollar market cap within the next 6-8 years. I am pretty heavily invested into Tesla though. I am a firm believer in not only the social move towards renewable, but also a big believer in the battery technology and loved him moving much of the production in house. With further growth in the Chinese market, and his contracts in Germany for driverless cabs, the expansion is coming fast. Efficiencies on the production side need to increase, but I'm invested into Tesla for the battery technology - not for cars.

Amazing that they got to 1 trillion in less than 2 years from this post. Up 1000% feels pretty good. 

So again I don't give much invest advice in public, but my next big play is Li-Cycle (in them large) and some Ford. Moreso li-cycle though. I think you're looking at the soon-to-be fastest growing market in the world (battery recycling) and I've been in LICY since June 2021 as I love how far along they are compared to competition. I think you're looking at a 20-40b market cap in the next 4-5 years and then a possible huge explosion 6 years out as EVs start to need battery swaps and etc for the market that is really taking off. Recycled lithium a huge component here too 

On 10/15/2021 at 4:58 PM, ron883 said:

Bitcoin nearing all time high territory

Meme coin season is here, too.  Many can laugh all they want and obviously there is risk but if you find the fight coin, you can 100-1000x your money pretty quickly.  I have a friend that just turned $4k into $530k in a few weeks.  

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Amazing that they got to 1 trillion in less than 2 years from this post. Up 1000% feels pretty good. 

So again I don't give much invest advice in public, but my next big play is Li-Cycle (in them large) and some Ford. Moreso li-cycle though. I think you're looking at the soon-to-be fastest growing market in the world (battery recycling) and I've been in LICY since June 2021 as I love how far along they are compared to competition. I think you're looking at a 20-40b market cap in the next 4-5 years and then a possible huge explosion 6 years out as EVs start to need battery swaps and etc for the market that is really taking off. Recycled lithium a huge component here too 

Love it, I will be checking this play out because I agree, this sector will explode in the next 5-10

I am in the process of rolling over my 401k from past employer.  

Does anyone have a suggestion on if they would move that into an IRA (would need to be traditional) or into my current employers 401K?  My current employers 401k is 10x the amount of the old so I'd increase the account 10%.

The thing is, I love being able to choose my own investments in the IRA with some high growth stocks/ETF's but assume that I'd be missing out on some "safer" compound gains if adding it to my current/larger 401k account.

Any feedback?  Understand this is not advice but finding some solid feedback online has been a little more difficult than I expected.

Edited by Chi Town Sox