Market/Financial Thread

Chisoxfn

21 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

23% kill off to my 401K and counting. 🤮

Fortunately the glide path my 403b has been on is moving away from stocks. Which is great today, but was a bit frustrating last year when I didn't see the gains I was hoping for. 

On 6/14/2022 at 10:49 AM, southsider2k5 said:

I have a mix of bitcoin, etherium, shiba inu, and Ren right now.  Etherium is probably the one I believe in most as it has the most practical applications going forward.  Bitcoin has a real scarcity thing going for it.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:59 PM, he gone. said:

also as a rule of thumb drawdowns are 80%+ in bitcoin and 90-95% for alt coins. 

Ethereum, alts, and bitcoin will have another waterfall leg down. You'll be able to buy bitcoin sub $20k (personal guess in that $15k range) and ETH in that $600-800 range. 

I ended up buying Doge and Shiba Inu late last week.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

More accurately, he's officially on his way to court now, and a lot of lawyers are about to make a lot of money. Right?

Yeah, he is going to lose something like 9 figures because he doesn't know when to shut up most specifically. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, he is going to lose something like 9 figures because he doesn't know when to shut up most specifically. 

Is it true that there's some chance that Twitter's board will be able to get a court to say "Screw you you're paying up fully as they kept up their end of the deal completely"? 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is it true that there's some chance that Twitter's board will be able to get a court to say "Screw you you're paying up fully as they kept up their end of the deal completely"? 

They are going to sue for it. My guess is they settle around the break up fee.  Musk is citing cause to not pay the fee. Twitter is going to sue to try to get the deal done, but it is the way to try to get something out of him short of the full $44bil by keeping leverage over him with this lawsuit. 

On 6/20/2022 at 2:28 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

I ended up buying Doge and Shiba Inu late last week.

So, when I was 12, I took half of the $2000 I'd saved from mowing lawns and shoveling snow and bought bitcoin (through my Dad) when it was around $250. When it hit $12K, I sold half of it for $24K. When it hit $40K, I sold half of what I had left for $40K. Probably just hanging on to the rest.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

So, when I was 12, I took half of the $2000 I'd saved from mowing lawns and shoveling snow and bought bitcoin (through my Dad) when it was around $250. When it hit $12K, I sold half of it for $24K. When it hit $40K, I sold half of what I had left for $40K. Probably just hanging on to the rest.

Nice! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Your dad had some damn good foresight having you buy that early and hold that long

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Surprising for sure. Looking back on recession data generally jobs lag by 5-9 months. 

History doesn't always repeat, but it rhymes. This is obviously a weird time. Still feels uncertain to me with a ton of variables that can take this in any direction. Too unstable to make any long term decisions. Cash seems like the play still. 

If i had to take a guess is the market continues its bounce from the bottom over next 30-60 days. 

I do think post harvest and into to the new year will be rough and probably retest the previous lows with a wick down for a bit in Q1 2023. 

7 hours ago, he gone. said:

Surprising for sure. Looking back on recession data generally jobs lag by 5-9 months. 

History doesn't always repeat, but it rhymes. This is obviously a weird time. Still feels uncertain to me with a ton of variables that can take this in any direction. Too unstable to make any long term decisions. Cash seems like the play still. 

If i had to take a guess is the market continues its bounce from the bottom over next 30-60 days. 

I do think post harvest and into to the new year will be rough and probably retest the previous lows with a wick down for a bit in Q1 2023. 

There has never been an economic situation like we have seen the last 2.5 years.  Pieces of it are comparable, but the entire package is unique.

If you get beyond the politics of this article, it brings up some good points about immigration. I wonder if more immigration to take some of the less than desired and also skilled labor would help some some of our economic issues and cut down inflation. It’s too bad that immigration is a wedge issue and not one that both parties want to solve since it would strengthen our economy.

More immigration, less inflation

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

If you get beyond the politics of this article, it brings up some good points about immigration. I wonder if more immigration to take some of the less than desired and also skilled labor would help some some of our economic issues and cut down inflation. It’s too bad that immigration is a wedge issue and not one that both parties want to solve since it would strengthen our economy.

If you overlay this number with covid deaths plus the missing immigration numbers since 2016, we are missing millions of potential employees that we normally would have had.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Beast said:

I've always found it strange we put all our efforts into stopping minimum wage immigration while ignoring high wage immigration. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 5:27 PM, Texsox said:

I've always found it strange we put all our efforts into stopping minimum wage immigration while ignoring high wage immigration. 

High wage immigration has very substantial limitations on it as well. Green cards take years to get even when people have jobs. It costs tens of thousands of dollars in time and legal fees to make that happen for most people.

• Like 2