Market/Financial Thread

Chisoxfn

On 4/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, Chi Town Sox said:

For anybody interested in crypto but that does not want to put in the deep research, a company called Humbl is the first to have a Crypto ETX/ETF approved in the US. It buys and sells certain coins based on Artificial Intelligence and trends. It's a bit of a pain to sign up but easy once finished and available to buy on Coinbase, Binance and Bittrex. The gains have been great.  

Humblpay.com and go to the financial section. I'd also suggest looking into the company itself and ticker $HMBL - they have incredible potential, were just featured on CNBC and partnered with multiple athletes and celebrities as they evolve from early stages of a super app on the Blockchain.

This same company, Humbl has now partnered with Athlete's First, the 2nd largest agency in the NFL to strategically collaborate on Ticketing, Digital and NFT's.  

Humbl is a potentially explosive super-app and to partner with a group like Athlete's First and creating NFT's for players like Aaron Rodgers, Dak, Herbert, Justin Fields, Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Tua, John Lynch, Fletcher Cox, Steve Young, etc. could be absolutely massive in addition to their Crytpo ETF/ETX, hands free ticketing/events and eventual P2P/Merchant Pay with no borders on blockchain.  

They will be interviewed on Fox Business with Charles Payne this Friday.  I've been in since 2 cents, would end up being one of the great Stock stories in history if/when it hits on their goals.  

Anyone use Schwartz? I just noticed that are partners with my bank, USAA, and it seems convenient to have as much as I can in one place. I don’t use really any of TDA’s features. 

On 6/4/2021 at 5:46 PM, Texsox said:

Anyone use Schwartz? I just noticed that are partners with my bank, USAA, and it seems convenient to have as much as I can in one place. I don’t use really any of TDA’s features. 

Do you mean Schwab?  I didn't like their trading platform at all.

When I moved off of Robinhood I moved into Fidelity, I wanted a broker that wasn't relying upon another clearinghouse (etrade, which I used to use years back uses apex).  Fidelity is a pretty stable platform, but like most brokers their tech still looks like it was created in the 90s.  I'm still amazed that not one of the big players hasnt found a way to develop a better UI.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 5:46 PM, Texsox said:

I have my IRA and personal account there.  It does what I need it to do.

• Thanks 1

Traveling down I80 in Iowa. All of the drive through at the fast food restaurants were 10 deep and not moving. One McDonald's had a sign that said 14 and 15 year Olds are encouraged to apply. Didn't know employees were that hard to find. Also didn't realize that was even legal.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

Traveling down I80 in Iowa. All of the drive through at the fast food restaurants were 10 deep and not moving. One McDonald's had a sign that said 14 and 15 year Olds are encouraged to apply. Didn't know employees were that hard to find. Also didn't realize that was even legal.

You need a workers permit and parental permission at 14/15.

Why would people want to work for minimum wage when the government will pay them more to do nothing? As soon as the government cuts all the unnecessary unemployment/COVID benefits people will have to go to work. These fast food jobs are the lowest rung so this is to be expected to some extent. What's scary is the manufacturing/wholesale industries are having trouble filling warehouse/factory jobs that pay more than 2x minimum wage. 

12 hours ago, ptatc said:

you should have waved

18 hours ago, raBBit said:

You need a workers permit and parental permission at 14/15.

Why would people want to work for minimum wage when the government will pay them more to do nothing? As soon as the government cuts all the unnecessary unemployment/COVID benefits people will have to go to work. These fast food jobs are the lowest rung so this is to be expected to some extent. What's scary is the manufacturing/wholesale industries are having trouble filling warehouse/factory jobs that pay more than 2x minimum wage. 

June 13th in Iowa is the end of the PUA.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2021/05/11/iowa-gov-kim-reynolds-announces-unemployment-benefit-cuts-pua-peuc-covid-19-pandemic-jobs/5035465001/

The Moon Family that owns that truck stop is worth at least $1 billion.  Average salaries range from $9-$12/hour.

Food services[edit]

A number of food services are located at the stop. These include Blimpie, Wendy's, Caribou Coffee, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius, Taco Bell, Einstein Bros. Bagels, and Pizza Hut.[5] The Iowa 80 Kitchen has an extensive salad bar and provides 'home-cooked' meals. The Iowa 80 Kitchen serves 1 million cups of coffee and 90 tons of meat annually.[2] The restaurant seats 350 patrons, and a banquet room expands the total capacity by 60.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

June 13th in Iowa is the end of the PUA.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2021/05/11/iowa-gov-kim-reynolds-announces-unemployment-benefit-cuts-pua-peuc-covid-19-pandemic-jobs/5035465001/

The Moon Family that owns that truck stop is worth at least $1 billion.  Average salaries range from $9-$12/hour.

Food services[edit]

A number of food services are located at the stop. These include Blimpie, Wendy's, Caribou Coffee, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius, Taco Bell, Einstein Bros. Bagels, and Pizza Hut.[5] The Iowa 80 Kitchen has an extensive salad bar and provides 'home-cooked' meals. The Iowa 80 Kitchen serves 1 million cups of coffee and 90 tons of meat annually.[2] The restaurant seats 350 patrons, and a banquet room expands the total capacity by 60.

If you look at the article a grand total of 33,000 people are getting these benefits in Iowa.  33,000.  That alone should tell you that this isn't the problem, and you should look at the labor force numbers to see the real problem.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you look at the article a grand total of 33,000 people are getting these benefits in Iowa.  33,000.  That alone should tell you that this isn't the problem, and you should look at the labor force numbers to see the real problem.

Some economists aren't so quick to declare Iowa's unemployment situation 'great,” though.

'It's going down for the wrong reason,” said Dave Swenson, an economics professor at Iowa State. 'You're losing a huge number of people from the numerator and denominator.”

The unemployment rate comes from the number of unemployment claims divided by the civilian labor force. The state's labor force has shrunk to an historically low level.

The percentage of working-age Iowans - the state's labor force participation rate - in the labor force is the lowest since 1977, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Between November 2019 and November 2020, one out of every 13 Iowa workers exited the labor force.

https://www.thegazette.com/business/iowas-unemployment-rate-is-shrinking-so-is-its-labor-force/

12 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Some economists aren't so quick to declare Iowa's unemployment situation 'great,” though.

'It's going down for the wrong reason,” said Dave Swenson, an economics professor at Iowa State. 'You're losing a huge number of people from the numerator and denominator.”

The unemployment rate comes from the number of unemployment claims divided by the civilian labor force. The state's labor force has shrunk to an historically low level.

The percentage of working-age Iowans - the state's labor force participation rate - in the labor force is the lowest since 1977, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Between November 2019 and November 2020, one out of every 13 Iowa workers exited the labor force.

https://www.thegazette.com/business/iowas-unemployment-rate-is-shrinking-so-is-its-labor-force/

Exactly.  This isn't an people getting rich on unemployment problem.  This is a labor force problem.  For the record, if you aren't in the labor force as a part of that counting statistic, you aren't getting unemployment.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Exactly.  This isn't an people getting rich on unemployment problem.  This is a labor force problem.  For the record, if you aren't in the labor force as a part of that counting statistic, you aren't getting unemployment.

Yes, though it would be nice if the answer was just UI phaseout.

It should be boomtimes for teen employment though, we'll see if it can get back to previous levels. I would imagine chains are going to have an easier time here, with more established and consistent training, than the type of employee available that led fine dining to thrive in 2010s.

The pandemic created a massive distortion with some industries going into hibernation while others were doing better than expected. The millions that lost jobs in those industries moved to different industries, moved to different locations. Hiring is hard, it's going to take those companies time to figure out how to reach the new recruits.

There isn't going to be a magic wage or unemployment trick, there was a massive restructuring happening at a rapid pace. Which to me is still so much better than the alternative, but there is going to be some growing pains here. This is uncharted territory, really.

the ultimate long term issue is now people have been conditioned that their worth is as much as the government just cutting a check for them doing nothing. it's kind of like food stamps. it's a catch 22. if you give enough free handouts then create a dependency. it's trying to do the right thing with unintended consequences. just like printing money. printing money leads to more inequality. rich get richer in that scenario. Cutting 1400 checks is pissing into the wind. seems like a windfall for a lot of people, but for every actions there's an opposite reaction (inflation) and now people having a hard time wanting to get back to work. It'll continue to be a grind. 

also before people try and pick apart the above - maybe the answer is something along the lines of a partial stimulus. like $200 a month for those making under $20,000 a year or something. So it's not a livable wage, it's not an insane number that drives a budget so out of whack, but its enough to allow the bottom rung the ability to put food on their table or help with rent, etc. 

I'm not a bootstraps guy even if the first paragraph makes u think so. truth is somewhere in the middle

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Yes, though it would be nice if the answer was just UI phaseout.

It should be boomtimes for teen employment though, we'll see if it can get back to previous levels. I would imagine chains are going to have an easier time here, with more established and consistent training, than the type of employee available that led fine dining to thrive in 2010s.

The pandemic created a massive distortion with some industries going into hibernation while others were doing better than expected. The millions that lost jobs in those industries moved to different industries, moved to different locations. Hiring is hard, it's going to take those companies time to figure out how to reach the new recruits.

There isn't going to be a magic wage or unemployment trick, there was a massive restructuring happening at a rapid pace. Which to me is still so much better than the alternative, but there is going to be some growing pains here. This is uncharted territory, really.

This is another great unspoken statement.  These same companies that now "can't find anyone who wants to work" are the same companies who is March and April of 2020 were letting employees go by the bucket load, despite all of the government money which was supposed to be designed to help them keep employees on the payroll.  Lots of excellent, loyal, and long time employees were canned, with a whole of crappy ones.  The good ones moved and and in lots of cases moved up.  Even lots of the bad ones did the same. Statistically we know lots of things here.

-About 4 million less people are employed today, than before all of this started.

-Labor Force participation is still down an entire 2%, again those people aren't on unemployment, or they would be in the labor force.

-Unemployment isn't much over where it was before all of this started.

-There are eight million less jobs today than before all of this started.

Now the same companies who let a ton of people go, can't find people to come back because they have largely moved on.  The labor pool has shrunk by a ton and now there is no source of cheap labor left.  We also destroyed cheap labor with immigration policies which largely shut down our borders.  The idea that companies are paying a ton more also hasn't found its way to the labor statistics as last months wage number was an annualized increase of 1.98%.  So wage inflation, again while a nice meme, isn't really happening to a large extent in this economy.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is another great unspoken statement.  These same companies that now "can't find anyone who wants to work" are the same companies who is March and April of 2020 were letting employees go by the bucket load, despite all of the government money which was supposed to be designed to help them keep employees on the payroll.  Lots of excellent, loyal, and long time employees were canned, with a whole of crappy ones.  The good ones moved and and in lots of cases moved up.  Even lots of the bad ones did the same. Statistically we know lots of things here.

-About 4 million less people are employed today, than before all of this started.

-Labor Force participation is still down an entire 2%, again those people aren't on unemployment, or they would be in the labor force.

-Unemployment isn't much over where it was before all of this started.

-There are eight million less jobs today than before all of this started.

Now the same companies who let a ton of people go, can't find people to come back because they have largely moved on.  The labor pool has shrunk by a ton and now there is no source of cheap labor left.  We also destroyed cheap labor with immigration policies which largely shut down our borders.  The idea that companies are paying a ton more also hasn't found its way to the labor statistics as last months wage number was an annualized increase of 1.98%.  So wage inflation, again while a nice meme, isn't really happening to a large extent in this economy.

This is all due to the way that unemployment is calculated. It changed during Obama's administration and unemployment is understated ever since. Trump's record low unemployment shit was a farce as a result. 

Edited by raBBit

41 minutes ago, raBBit said:

This is all due to the way that unemployment is calculated. It changed during Obama's administration and unemployment is understated ever since. Trump's record low unemployment shit was a farce as a result. 

There are six different unemployment measures for the record.  You can pull them out as you like, but pretty much all relevant measures are included in the BLS statistics, and are back to near pre-pandemic levels... all except for labor force and the participation rate.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

There are six different unemployment measures for the record.  You can pull them out as you like, but pretty much all relevant measures are included in the BLS statistics, and are back to near pre-pandemic levels... all except for labor force and the participation rate.

I wasn't disputing that and didn't "pull" any rates. The point is of the relationship between labor participation rate and unemployment rate. 

What was changed about how U1-6 was calculated? Labor force participation never fully recovered from the '08 crash but did any of the underlying formulas actually change?

Unrelated, can anyone explain what an NFT actually is, and why anyone would pay money for one?

Edited by StrangeSox

18 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I wasn't disputing that and didn't "pull" any rates. The point is of the relationship between labor participation rate and unemployment rate. 

It also HASN'T changed in the last two years, so an apples to apples comparison of before and after the pandemic start date is a valid one.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/billionaires-pay-no-taxes-while-workers-get-no-raises-120116788.html

The owners of Klavon’s Ice Cream Parlor had hit a wall.

For months, the 98-year-old confectionary in Pittsburgh couldn’t find applicants for the open positions it needed to fill ahead of warmer weather and, hopefully, sunnier times for the business after a rough year.

The job posting for scoopers — $7.25 an hour plus tips — did not produce a single application between January and March.

So owner Jacob Hanchar decided to more than double the starting wage to $15 an hour, plus tips, 'just to see what would happen.'

The shop was suddenly flooded with applications. More than 1,000 piled in over the course of a week.”

Conversation Rabbit would enjoy surely led by a job creator who didn’t inherit a cent from his /her parents.

Andrew D

16 hours ago

Oh boy, there is a lot of bull in this article. So here goes: 1) The "tax avoidance schemes" you're talking about aren't some magic accounting tricks. They are longstanding tax breaks that encourage people to give to charity and invest. 2) The people who increase their net worth through investments will be taxed on those investments when they cash them out. So the payment to your friend the tax man is delayed but does not disappear. Taking a snapshot of a time when those assets have grown and no taxes have been paid on them and saying this is what we're calling the "true tax" is so misleading that it's a lie. 3) Yes, people generally prefer to pay smaller amounts of taxes if they can structure their lifestyles around it. This is actually exactly what the government - and particularly Democrats - want, in order to control you. Buy a house cuz there's a tax break. Buy an EV because there's a tax break. Give to charity because there's a tax break. Invest in a low-income area because there's a tax break. 4) If I worked for Facebook, Amazon, or Oracle, I would definitely prefer if the head of my company were paid primarily in stock instead of salary so that their decisions are directly aligned with the success of the company. 5) I agree, the national parks are one of the few examples of taxpayer money being spent in a responsible way. You'll be hard pressed to name more than about 5 such examples where the government has been responsible and efficient with our money.

1) This is a "sales in a box" transaction among many legal tax methods. Turn her own asset into a risk free asset and borrow against it with extreme low interest rate. Tax free, voila. I.e. Spending the return without paying tax now. 2) See 1) on how to reap the gains now without paying tax now. 3) Indeed, but all politicians wants to control others, don't they? In fact, government policies are intended to influence behaviors and added as guardrails. 4) Perhaps for short term. On the contrary, some corporates/major investors has finally awakened to the importance of ESG on corporate behaviors for long term mutual benefits. 5) True, government definitely is not the efficient on spending our money. Would love to hear better options. Free market along definitely not working for many.

1) So I get to pay interest AND capital gains tax on investment gains?! Wow! That sounds like a sweet deal for sure! If I buy a $100k house and work on it for a year, spending $100k in materials and outside labor, and it appreciates to a $300k house after that time, money, and effort, then I can do the same thing. I can take out a mortgage against my house and not pay taxes on that loan. 2) This new "true tax" term is just ridiculous because it's not factoring in the tax liability. If I received stock as part of my compensation package, and those stocks are now worth $1 billion, then even though I may have paid little to no income tax, I still have a tax liability that is currently about $200 million. That amount will go up or down as the current value of the stock fluctuates, and for all intents and purposes, that tax liability is the same thing as taxable income that we less successful people pay tax on each year. 3) Nooo, not all of them. There are some politicians who actually have the goal of keeping government's influence at a minimum - both socially and economically. 4) Earnings are not the only driver of stock price. Stock prices a direct reflection of the value of the company, which includes present earnings, earnings potential, assets, stability, public perception, and dozens of other factors that may be quantifiable or not. The better the company, the higher the market cap. 5) The free market is the best option - by far, despite being imperfect