Chisoxfn

Market/Financial Thread

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

High wage immigration has very substantial limitations on it as well. Green cards take years to get even when people have jobs. It costs tens of thousands of dollars in time and legal fees to make that happen for most people.

Which highlights why our immigration system makes economic sense for doctors, engineers, professors but not common labor. The focus seems to be to protect the minimum wage jobs from immigrants. 

I've said for years we need a guest worker program similar to the H1B visa but cheaper and easier to process for lower wage jobs. 

On 8/6/2022 at 6:27 PM, Texsox said:

I've always found it strange we put all our efforts into stopping minimum wage immigration while ignoring high wage immigration. 

Because most people who are anti immigration are also low wage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Good point. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Which highlights why our immigration system makes economic sense for doctors, engineers, professors but not common labor. The focus seems to be to protect the minimum wage jobs from immigrants. 

I've said for years we need a guest worker program similar to the H1B visa but cheaper and easier to process for lower wage jobs. 

If I remember correctly, don’t some of those professional jobs require professional degrees here too? The most ridiculous part about protecting minimum wage jobs from immigrants is that there are jobs they take that other people will not take. So the anti immigration folks don’t have lots to stand on with their arguments.

Use a guest worker program in the way you describe and see what happens to the economy.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Like it or not, they will be the minority over time.