Jump to content
Chisoxfn

Market/Financial Thread

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

You can try me on any bitcoin angle and I'll have a rebuttal. I've spent at least 30 mins a day for 4 years researching almost every angle. 

The thing that is holding back bitcoin is ease of use. Setting up and controlling your own wallet is quite tough. UX has actually been improved quite a bit through Coinbase, Gemini, CashApp, etc. The trouble remains the ease of transferring your funds to your own control, to your own wallet. It's not even all that tough, but I'll be damned if isn't never wracking. It's easier with practice, but remains way too tough and scary for probably 95% of the population. Until that is changed (and Square being FDIC approved just yesterday does intrigue me a ton) then it will be tough to make the jump as a P2P operation. However that doesn't stop it from being a tool utilized by the banking masses as another investment tool.

Working 18 hours a day + at least half hour a day researching too?  Add in time for all that White Sox knowledge,  market knowledge and everything else,  plus taking care of a wife with corona.

Keep up the good work and they might make you President one day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Hey everyone. Some of you guys are way smarter than I am when it comes to stuff like this, so could I grab some advice perhaps? I have a big decision on my plate and want to hear as many opinions as possible. 

So I'm actually transitioning jobs right now and in order to get more control over the money in my 401K, I went ahead and quit that job so that I could move that money into something I have more control over. A few of the options I'm considering are:

1) Roll it all over into a Roth IRA, pay the penalties and taxes now, and use the rest to buy stocks and ETFs that I think will rebound nicely.

2) Roll it all into a Traditional IRA, pay no taxes right now but if I were to ever withdraw before age 60, pay penalties and taxes on (potentially) higher funds. 

3) Do a split sort of contribution, say $6,000 into a Roth IRA for my 2019 contribution and the rest into a brokerage account where, yes I'd pay again full penalties and taxes on but then I'd have more accessible funds.

I do realize this is a very personal decision with personal factors to consider, but if anyone has any real world experience or opinions to offer, I am all ears. I also understand that I only have a very rudimentary understanding of this, so if I missed any important nuggets, please share. Thanks everyone!

I would roll to an IRA. But you quit a job to gain control over your retirement money? In this economy? That is a terrible idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Hey everyone. Some of you guys are way smarter than I am when it comes to stuff like this, so could I grab some advice perhaps? I have a big decision on my plate and want to hear as many opinions as possible. 

So I'm actually transitioning jobs right now and in order to get more control over the money in my 401K, I went ahead and quit that job so that I could move that money into something I have more control over. A few of the options I'm considering are:

1) Roll it all over into a Roth IRA, pay the penalties and taxes now, and use the rest to buy stocks and ETFs that I think will rebound nicely.

2) Roll it all into a Traditional IRA, pay no taxes right now but if I were to ever withdraw before age 60, pay penalties and taxes on (potentially) higher funds. 

3) Do a split sort of contribution, say $6,000 into a Roth IRA for my 2019 contribution and the rest into a brokerage account where, yes I'd pay again full penalties and taxes on but then I'd have more accessible funds.

I do realize this is a very personal decision with personal factors to consider, but if anyone has any real world experience or opinions to offer, I am all ears. I also understand that I only have a very rudimentary understanding of this, so if I missed any important nuggets, please share. Thanks everyone!

How long were you at that employer?

Edited by soxfan49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Working 18 hours a day + at least half hour a day researching too?  Add in time for all that White Sox knowledge,  market knowledge and everything else,  plus taking care of a wife with corona.

Keep up the good work and they might make you President one day!

I mean i can sincerely hope that isn't you being sarcastic. but if it is - then i just hope you find peace in your own life. cause mines a walking shit show right now. I'm logging long effing hours right now. My life isn't going great - but my job is to protect my employer from losses. So yes, I am on calls with CEO's and CFO's for hours a day demanding money from them to protect my employer. You think that it doesn't fucking rip my brain in every direction trying to take care of my wife and my job at the same time? If you want to add on to it, I am going through a complete gut job to my house, and have to move out to find another house to live in while (hopefully) my house gets finished so I don't infect my contractors while im stuck in quarantine. We literally just got the news today from the doctors. Likely have to carry a long term rent once we go full quarantine  in the US /factories shut down and can't have a kitchen or work completed on my house. 

 

I literally wake up at 6:30 and work til 10pm ... so what is that ... 15.5 hour days. sorry. i rounded up. go eff yourself is actually what i mean. and i can get banned by the mods i dont give a flying shit. i hope you don't have to go through a personal pandemic in your life. I'm out. The health of my wife is #1 in my life. 

 

Peace Sox talk. Buy bitcoin. pay attention to what people do. I'm extremely pissed now. Be smart out there. This will be my last post on this board and you can mark that down and time stamp it and seal/mail it. People are assholes in this world. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Also - the point was to add a rebuttal to this narrative that was presented above that the "majority" of use for bitcoin is on illegal activity. 1% isn't the majority by A LONG stretch

That only really rebuts something if you can add a similar number for the dollar to compare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would roll to an IRA. But you quit a job to gain control over your retirement money? In this economy? That is a terrible idea. 

I am already working full time at my new job. I was keeping the other one around as a weekend job.

I am definitely doing an IRA. Probably Traditional. Just wondering what y'all think.

Edited by South Sider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

No it wont. A few years ago my former law clerk was telling me how great bitcoin was. I asked him to find a single thing outside of illegal transactions (he was using it for offshore gambling) that bitcoin was better at than regular money. To this day he has never successfully been able to argue 1 thing it was better for.

I get why bitcoin has a niche, its for illegal goods/trade/etc. 

 

53 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Also - the point was to add a rebuttal to this narrative that was presented above that the "majority" of use for bitcoin is on illegal activity. 1% isn't the majority by A LONG stretch

I never said "majority", I said that is the one area where bitcoin is superior to regular currency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Almost 10 years.

Go traditional. No financial advisor from a compliance standpoint would probably do the Roth. The penalties and taxes on a 401k that's been around for 10 years will be borderline nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I am already working full time at my new job. I was keeping the other one around as a weekend job.

I am definitely doing an IRA. Probably Traditional. Just wondering what y'all think.

Traditional for sure. No reason to pay taxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

That's the Mnuchin angle. Then he goes along and hires Coinbase's Chief Legal Officer this week. Makes you think huh?

https://cointelegraph.com/news/coinbases-chief-legal-officer-resigns-to-oversee-us-national-banking-system

Rule one: watch what people do with their money - not what they say. 

 

Also, 1% of total Bitcoin in 2019 is on illegal activity. 

https://cointelegraph.com/news/515-million-in-bitcoin-spent-on-illicit-activity-this-year-representing-1-of-total-btc-activity#:~:text=

 

And last i checked the majority of illegal activity is conducted via the almighty US Dollar. 

 

 

1. No one knows the true percentage of criminal movement in either case, but it will be orders of magnitude higher on cryptos.

2. I could care less what Mnuchin says or does, except when it effects policy. But there is a large chunk of the world of finance that agrees with my take, so, I guess you can pick anyone you'd like. They see it for it's potential but not as an actual currency.

3. On your other post, you really actually think that moving funds from USD (or other core currencies) to crypto is giving "the people" power? That's like saying moving money into some non-licensed scheme run by Tony Breakyourface is giving you more control. Sure it's moving partially out of the regulated space but you are entering the financial void too. That's not power, it's gambling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Her husband is chair of the company that owns the New York Stock Exchange. They were near a deal for EBay in early February then abruptly pulled out. He has also sold large numbers of shares in the last month. 
 

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2020/02/06/intercontinental-exchange-calls-off-possible-bid.html

 

https://www.gurufocus.com/news/1073064/intercontinental-exchange-inc-ice-ceo-jeffrey-c-sprecher-sold-153-million-of-shares

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a bit of a hot take, but I wonder how much people here would change their tunes on bitcoin if they weren't paid in USD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note:  this article came out before recent State of NY announcement about only essential service workers allowed to report...not quite the California shutdown, but close
 

The U.S. labor market is about to experience even more pain, with Bank of America issuing a bleak forecast for initial unemployment insurance claims to soar to 3 million, as the coronavirus (COVID-19) disrupts the labor market. That would be the largest increase on record.

With the COVID-19 crisis shutting down entire cities and countless businesses, unemployment is already on the rise. During the week ending March 14, jobless claims jumped to 281,000, up from the 211,000 a week prior

Now, BofA expects that the week ending Sunday will start to reflect the full force of food, retail and other service jobs laying off employees en masse. Major cities — and as of Thursday, the entire state of California — are urging residents to stay at home as new cases surge.

“Our forecast is based on a compilation of news reports which show roughly 270k applications have been filed over 19 states through Wednesday,” Michelle Meyer, chief economist for Bank of America Merrill Lynch, wrote in a note on Friday. 

“Extrapolating from these numbers initial jobless claims will easily be in the millions, showing the immesh economic disruption the COVID-19 outbreak is having on the U.S. economy,” she added.
 

yahoo.com/finance

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gatnom said:

This may be a bit of a hot take, but I wonder how much people here would change their tunes on bitcoin if they weren't paid in USD.

That is quite literally the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Every time they do a briefing the market drops.  

As it should. Blaming the Chinese does nothing, saying that these immigration restrictions are things they wanted to do a long time ago is backwards, failing to answer any questions about the actual disease response just ensures that the panic continues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Every time they do a briefing the market drops.  

If he wasnt so stupid hed realize hes tanking the market and keep quiet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If he wasnt so stupid hed realize hes tanking the market and keep quiet. 

Maybe he is doing it on purpose because he knows it's going down and he can claim a greater improvement once it goes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If he wasnt so stupid hed realize hes tanking the market and keep quiet. 

Or he is short the market because he knew this all along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Or he is short the market because he knew this all along.

also possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That this is happening in UK give me some hope US can take away their "stimulus" focus here. UK typically is even more skeptical of unfairness than US, and the idiotic phase-in and means testing proposals of yesterday show how far behind US is in addressing this:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×