Top White Sox Prospects by Position: Outfielders (The Besssss)

NorthSideSox72

We conclude our positional rankings series with probably the deepest well of talent in the White Sox system - the Outfielders. Here are the top ten outfielders on the Sox farm.

How did people like this positional rankings series? Is it something we should do annually? Did you find it added value the same way T30 lists do, or not as much?

17 minutes ago, joejoedairy said:

So, the Birmingham OF will have Gonzalez, Rutherford, Basabe, Adolfo, Call and Booker to start the year with Robert close behind. Its good to have a lot of talent but it'll be interesting to see how they handle the logjam. 

My guess would be that Birmingham OF is Basabe, Gonzalez, Rutherford and Adolfo. Call and Booker in AAA. Basabe could even start in AAA possibly. Robert will be in W-S. Walker probably goes to Kannapolis

42 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

Definitely an exciting group! What would the rankings be as far as CF goes? I know Basabe and Rutherford have a chance at playing CF but who are the most likely to play there in the majors? It seems like Robert would be #1 but is that followed by Gonzales or would Basabe and Rutherford be ahead of him?

I would say Robert, Basabe, Gonzalez in that order. The others can't stay in CF IMO. 

1 minute ago, yesterday333 said:

Haha you got #5 right.

Sadly I was hoping Polo would turn into something...

players like Polo (and booker, and rivera), need everything to go right. His injury really seems to have taken it out of him. They don't have years to lose to injury.

1 hour ago, yesterday333 said:

Definitely an exciting group! What would the rankings be as far as CF goes? I know Basabe and Rutherford have a chance at playing CF but who are the most likely to play there in the majors? It seems like Robert would be #1 but is that followed by Gonzales or would Basabe and Rutherford be ahead of him?

Really hard to say that because they are all sort of percentage chances of being CF's (except a few who are clearly not). If I broke up those ten names into groups (these are just my very subjective projections):

CAN STICK: Robert (but need to see more to be sure), Basabe, Gonzalez (I might be in the minority here), Booker (but his arm is fringy)

CAN PLAY THERE AS 4-OF OR OCCASIONALLY: Rutherford, Walker (but need to see more), Call, Cordell

NOT A CF: Eloy, Adolfo

1 hour ago, yesterday333 said:

I’d say Robert >>> Basabe >>>>>> Gonzalez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rutherford & Walker.

1 hour ago, joejoedairy said:

So, the Birmingham OF will have Gonzalez, Rutherford, Basabe, Adolfo, Call and Booker to start the year with Robert close behind. Its good to have a lot of talent but it'll be interesting to see how they handle the logjam. 

Here’s how I see the minor league OFs shaking out to start the season:

AAA - Eloy, Cordell/Engel, Call (AAAA type)

AA - Rutherford, Gonzalez, Basabe (Booker)

A+: Walker, Robert, Adolfo (Frost)

A: Dawkins, Gonzalez, Sowers (Destino)

I would expect a lot of early in-season promotions for the higher end guys, with Basabe getting a bump to AAA and Adolfo & Roberto promotions to AA by the end of May at the latest.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I would expect a lot of early in-season promotions for the higher end guys, with Basabe getting a bump to AAA and Adolfo & Roberto promotions to AA by the end of May at the latest.

FWIW, Micker might be more of a June 1 addition.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

FWIW, Micker might be more of a June 1 addition.

Oh shit, forgot his TJS recovery will likely carry into the 2018.  In that case, I think they’ll start him in AA when he finally returns.  With him already on the 40 man roster, we can’t be too conservative with him.

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is fun. There is a serious crowding problem around AA and I am not sure what to do with them all. But here is my big board at this point:

MLB: Engel, Cordell, Delmonico, Palka (plus Leury in utility) - I am betting Avisail isn't around anymore

AAA: Jimenez, Tilson, Basabe, Polo in 4-man roto (I have read hints they might put Basabe in AAA)

AA: Rutherford, Gonzalez, Call, Booker in roto (plus FIsher on bench, Adolfo DL until May/June)

A+: Robert, Walker, Frost, Dedelow in roto, Nolan Brown on bench (Robert and Walker to play every day)

A: Dawkins, Romy Gonzalez, Sowers (Destino on bench)

Think about how much worse the crowding would be if Fisher hadn't imploded and Adolfo stayed healthy.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Someone is going to be traded this off season. Maybe minor leaguer for minor leaguer . Relieve the log jam to boost other positions. Might seem a bit early for it since so many of our OF's need more seasoning but Hahn did mention he'd consider it.

I agree, I really think they’ll trade one of the OFs, with Rutherford, Gonzalez, & Adolfo being the most likely chips.  I do struggle finding a good prospect for prospect match though.

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree, I really think they’ll trade one of the OFs, with Rutherford, Gonzalez, & Adolfo being the most likely chips.  I do struggle finding a good prospect for prospect match though.

Toronto has a few guys who could play 3rd in Kevin Smith and Cavan Biggio. Those aren't their primary positions but they have seen action there.

12 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

When you consider that Eloy will be up in April and Adolfo will miss the first few months, I don’t think the logjam is really that bad. Also there are several guys at the top level that could be dropped if it gets that way. 

By top level I assume you mean Charlotte and not the White Sox. Even if you pare OF's from Charlotte who is ready for AAA without it being considered rushing them ?

11 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

By top level I assume you mean Charlotte and not the White Sox. Even if you pare OF's from Charlotte who is ready for AAA without it being considered rushing them ?

Whoever distinguishes themselves early. That’s what I mean. There is space for everyone. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

23 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

When you consider that Eloy will be up in April and Adolfo will miss the first few months, I don’t think the logjam is really that bad. Also there are several guys at the top level that could be dropped if it gets that way. 

It is also assuming nothing else happens (trades/injuries).