Lamigo Monkeys Post Po-Jung Wang (Taiwan)

Eminor3rd

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/lamigo-monkeys-to-post-wang-po-jung.html

Athletic, 25 year old lefty slugger that has demolished the CPBL. Could end up in Japan or KBO instead of MLB. 

Of course, no idea how his skill would translate. CPBL is noticeably weaker than the NPB and KBO, but some real talent pops out every now and then, like Daikan Yoh, who really should have ended up in the MLB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah I think these are the type of high-upside risks we need to continue to take, but of course it always comes down to cost.

If we're competing against KBO and NPB teams then it should be pretty minimal. From a quick search the it looks like highest salary in the NPB is less than $5,000,000 and only 38 players have salaries over $2,000,000.

However I don't know how the posting works with the CPBL compared to the new agreement with the NPB and KBO. If it follows those systems he might be included in the international amateur pool because he hasn't played 6 years yet. If that is the case, I don't think we'd be able to get him for $300,000 when so many other teams have pool money to blow and not many targets left. 

Edited by GenericUserName
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

When are we out of the penalty box for internship signings?  The next signing period in June/July?  If so, we can’t realistically sign this kid unfortunately.

It also depends on his age and service time (not sure on either) if he is considered an amateur signing or not.

Edit: did the research. You have to be at least 25 and have at least 6 years of experience to be exempt from the rules. He is 25 with only 5 years.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

Good takes and research. I had assumed since he was 25 that he was through the limitations, but I hadn’t considered his service time. 

If that’s the case, I have no idea why his team would even post him, and it would seem to make a move to NPB/KBO the most likely scenario.