Guys we should target on short term deals

wrathofhahn

15 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The majority of the Braves top talent is in starting pitching. They have very little in terms of position players down on the farm. Acuna and Albies are pretty much it at the MLB level in terms of cost controlled position players. 

Pache? Riley? Waters?

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They have zero T100 guys as of right now that are not pitchers. I forgot about Swanson but he's not exactly lighting the world on fire 

He literally just listed three for you. Riley and Pache are good. 

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

You won’t find a top 100 that doesn’t have Pache when they’re all updated over the next month or so. Probably not a top 50. Fangraphs is updated already has Riley at 57 also. 

All three are in mlb pipeline. Pache was like 37 in fangraphs.

8 hours ago, Flash said:

For the Sox to gain ground, they will need performance improvement at virtually every position. I believe this off-season will define the effectiveness of this FO, the results of which will determine the fate and timeline of the rebuild. This will be the hard part.  

I disagree with your premise much is going to happen this offseason Sox wise. Nobody has pointed out any reason to expect signings of free agents to immediately impact the team. Since Kopech's injury we've been told the winning isn't starting til 2020. . Aside from Manny and Harper, who will the Sox target this offseason? Eloy is coming and that will be enough to excite the fan base. People also will be excited about the No. 3 draft pick.

That's what is weird about the rebuild. Sox can act like they are still right on course by acquiring nobody and saving Jerry all that money another season. Has Hahn been on the record saying there are guys he wants to sign this offseason besides hinting at Manny? I hate to say this but we aren't getting Manny Machado. The Yankees want him and we're getting him? Cmon.

Edited by greg775

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I disagree with your premise much is going to happen this offseason Sox wise. The Sox have already cautioned us to expect no improvement record wise next year as since Kopech's injury we've been told the winning isn't starting til 2020. . Aside from Manny and Harper, who will the Sox target this offseason? Eloy is coming and that will be enough to excite the fan base. People also will be excited about the No. 3 draft pick.

That's what is weird about the rebuild. Sox can act like they are still right on course by acquiring nobody and saving Jerry all that money another season. Has Hahn been on the record saying there are guys he wants to sign this offseason besides hinting at Manny? I hate to say this but we aren't getting Manny Machado. The Yankees want him and we're getting him? Cmon.

This is flat out a lie.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is flat out a lie.

Why so dramatic. Maybe I'm confusing the Sox with the experts and fans. Sorry. We're supposed to suck next season again. None of the experts and writers who I assume talk to Hahn and Kenny have us doing anything in the offseason. If we acquire anybody it'll be a Shields clone to replace his innings.

Edited by greg775

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Why so dramatic. Maybe I'm confusing the Sox with the experts and fans. Sorry. We're supposed to suck next season again. None of the experts and writers who I assume talk to Hahn and Kenny have us doing anything in the offseason. If we acquire anybody it'll be a Shields clone to replace his innings.

It isn't drama.  You said something that absolutely 100% isn't true.  Literally no one from the White Sox organization has said what you are attributing to them.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't drama.  You said something that absolutely 100% isn't true.  Literally no one from the White Sox organization has said what you are attributing to them.

Here's what they have said: 

Hahn doesn’t figure to be a big spender in free agency, although he said he will look to add starting pitchers to augment a rotation led by Carlos Rodon, Reynaldo Lopez and Lucas Giolito and relievers to strengthen the bullpen.

“In terms of major transactions we remain committed to putting ourselves in the best position for an extended run,’’ he said. “So we’re not looking for short-term fixes that will complicate things in the long run.’’  

While talk of contending in 2019 is premature, Hahn said, the three aforementioned pitchers, as well as expected continued improvement from young middle infielder Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada and additional young players coming up led by super prospect Eloy Jimenez figures to make the Sox more competitive “even before you see the moves we will likely make in the course of the offseason.’’

“We’re closer now than we were 12 months ago to being ready to contend,’’ Hahn said.

They would have been closer had Michael Kopech been there to wait for, but the top pitching prospect had Tommy John surgery that will sideline him till 2020, a major blow to the Sox plan. Rodon, Lopez and Giolito are viewed as “solid, reliable starters in a championship rotation,” Hahn said, and Kopech is seen as all of that if not more.

“It has an impact,’’ Hahn said. “We projected Michael to play a role on the 2019 club, and allotted a fair amount of innings to his continued development at the big league level at 2019 which we now have to fill. That very likely will come from outside the organization.’’

(Talk of contending is premature ... not looking for short term fixes ... needs to replace Kopech and likely Shields ... like I said the addition of Eloy should be enough to excite the fan base but that should be about it ... I wouldn't discount a shields return. He actually is needed for next season to eat those same amount of innings).

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Here's what they have said: 

Hahn doesn’t figure to be a big spender in free agency, although he said he will look to add starting pitchers to augment a rotation led by Carlos Rodon, Reynaldo Lopez and Lucas Giolito and relievers to strengthen the bullpen.

“In terms of major transactions we remain committed to putting ourselves in the best position for an extended run,’’ he said. “So we’re not looking for short-term fixes that will complicate things in the long run.’’  

While talk of contending in 2019 is premature, Hahn said, the three aforementioned pitchers, as well as expected continued improvement from young middle infielder Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada and additional young players coming up led by super prospect Eloy Jimenez figures to make the Sox more competitive “even before you see the moves we will likely make in the course of the offseason.’’

“We’re closer now than we were 12 months ago to being ready to contend,’’ Hahn said.

They would have been closer had Michael Kopech been there to wait for, but the top pitching prospect had Tommy John surgery that will sideline him till 2020, a major blow to the Sox plan. Rodon, Lopez and Giolito are viewed as “solid, reliable starters in a championship rotation,” Hahn said, and Kopech is seen as all of that if not more.

“It has an impact,’’ Hahn said. “We projected Michael to play a role on the 2019 club, and allotted a fair amount of innings to his continued development at the big league level at 2019 which we now have to fill. That very likely will come from outside the organization.’’

(Talk of contending is premature ... not looking for short term fixes ... needs to replace Kopech and likely Shields ... like I said the addition of Eloy should be enough to excite the fan base but that should be about it ... I wouldn't discount a shields return. He actually is needed for next season to eat those same amount of innings).

Did you read this?  What part of that makes you think just as bad next year?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Did you read this?  What part of that makes you think just as bad next year?

I didn't think Eloy was enough to make a big difference in record considering we lose Kopech and the plan isn't to sign free agents. I don't sense any real buzz concerning Machado or Harper coming to Sox. If the continued maturation of Moncada and Timmy is enough along with all those bullpen arms getting more experienced, then my bad. Frankly I've bought into all the talk on this board about how 2019 is rebuilding; 2020 is the year.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I didn't think Eloy was enough to make a big difference in record considering we lose Kopech and the plan isn't to sign free agents. I don't sense any real buzz concerning Machado or Harper coming to Sox. If the continued maturation of Moncada and Timmy is enough along with all those bullpen arms getting more experienced, then my bad. Frankly I've bought into all the talk on this board about how 2019 is rebuilding; 2020 is the year.

You literally lost me when you started to try to change this to being about YOU, instead of you attributing a lie to the White Sox front office.  You even provided the quote that proves you wrong.  The rest of this is irrelevant tries to change the goalposts.

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You literally lost me when you started to try to change this to being about YOU, instead of you attributing a lie to the White Sox front office.  You even provided the quote that proves you wrong.  The rest of this is irrelevant tries to change the goalposts.

Whatever, we should just block each other. We don't get along. If it makes you feel better saying I'm a liar, fine. So dramatic rather than just a poster. I just put you on ignore to see if that helps conversation.

Edited by greg775

18 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Whatever, we should just block each other. We don't get along. If it makes you feel better saying I'm a liar, fine. So dramatic rather than just a poster. I just put you on ignore to see if that helps conversation.

For someone who sells their words for a living, you would think you would take more pride in the accuracy of your words. 

Donaldson's potential upside on a one year deal loaded with incentives...then auctioning him off to a contender at the trade deadline, that's the logical play here.

Jake Lamb's a decent player, and Escobar's coming off a career year, but Lamb's not going to move the meter much.  A contending team like the D-Backs is going to want to go with the player who gives them the best opportunity.

That said, Eaton and Quentin both came from over there, probably the two best moves of the last decade in terms of trades.  So that whole "can't handle the NL to AL transition" didn't apply to them, for some reason.

5 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Avi Garcia for Jon Gray, who says no?

The Rockies.  Avi has little to no trade value at the moment.  Jon Gray is still a super interesting arm with three years of control.  He’d a great buy low guy if the Rockies were looking to move him.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

• Kalapse changed the title to Guys we should target on short term deals