Guys we should target on short term deals

wrathofhahn

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we non-tender Avi, I’m hoping we add a more established OF than this guy so I kind of jump lumped him into the Palka role.  It does sound like this guy can actually play a solid RF, so maybe his skill-set is a little different than Palka’s in that sense.  I’d definitely take him on the 40 man roster over Tilson though.

Yeah I agree with you. It depends on which lane they go. If they're able to land Machado (big IF for sure), then I would rather get an established OF and maybe try to catch lightning in a bottle in 2019 (basically hoping the youngster make strides and hope to compete). But if they don't, I don't mind giving the shot to anyone other than Garcia since it will likely be more like 2018 lol

Edited by soxfan2014

Why would they non tender Avi? Of course you keep him and hope he bounces back in health and production so you can flip him for something.

The reasons to non tender him is either to make room or create financial flexibility, neither of which is a big concern next year as they neither compete nor have a big surplus of outfielders.

I mean what is even the downside of starting him next year and see if he bounces back?

• Kalapse changed the title to Guys we should target on short term deals
19 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Why would they non tender Avi? Of course you keep him and hope he bounces back in health and production so you can flip him for something.

The reasons to non tender him is either to make room or create financial flexibility, neither of which is a big concern next year as they neither compete nor have a big surplus of outfielders.

I mean what is even the downside of starting him next year and see if he bounces back?

$8-$10M you can allocate to a better baseball player. 

I really want the Sox to sign Garrett Richards. While he won’t pitch this year, you can get him healthy in your program and have him waiting for 2020, which is ideally the first season of their window of contention being open. 

Sign him to a one year deal with team options  for a second and a third. Pay him $1M in year one, $7M + incentives in year two and $10M + incentives in year three. 

12 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I really want the Sox to sign Garrett Richards. While he won’t pitch this year, you can get him healthy in your program and have him waiting for 2020, which is ideally the first season of their window of contention being open. 

Sign him to a one year deal with team options  for a second and a third. Pay him $1M in year one, $7M + incentives in year two and $10M + incentives in year three. 

In terms of base salary that’s $18M and an AAV of $6M, assuming that you pick up both options. 

If you think that’s ridiculous, then please look at his career numbers. In his first two years as a starter Richards had an ERA+ of 116, 3.30 FIP, 8 K/9 and 3 BB/9. Over the past three years Richards has started just 28 games. In those 28 starts Richards has an ERA+ of 136, 3.59 FIP, 9.6 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9. 

Sign me up.

11 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

I like Richards too, but injuries are a big concern with him. He's only started more than 30 games in a season once and that was in 2015. The talent is there, I just don't know if he can stay on the field enough to make a potential contract worth it for the Sox.

If he’s not healthy after year one of the contact, you declined the option. Problem solved. 

1 hour ago, Joshua Strong said:

In terms of base salary that’s $18M and an AAV of $6M, assuming that you pick up both options. 

If you think that’s ridiculous, then please look at his career numbers. In his first two years as a starter Richards had an ERA+ of 116, 3.30 FIP, 8 K/9 and 3 BB/9. Over the past three years Richards has started just 28 games. In those 28 starts Richards has an ERA+ of 136, 3.59 FIP, 9.6 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9. 

Sign me up.

I would have to think if Richards' signs a 3 year deal, it's going to be for much more than $18M. I think my plan had him at 3 yrs/$30M.

6 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Agreed. 2 year deal is fair similar to the Eovaldi and Smyly deals. Each was out the first full year of the deal.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 4:31 PM, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

There is zero upside left for the Sox with Avi. He's been bad, injured or inconsistent his entire career with the Sox. They only have him for this season and quite frankly whatever money they'd spend on him should be spent elsewhere. He's not part of the future of this team so they should just cut their losses and move on. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

There is zero upside left for the Sox with Avi. He's been bad, injured or inconsistent his entire career with the Sox. They only have him for this season and quite frankly whatever money they'd spend on him should be spent elsewhere. He's not part of the future of this team so they should just cut their losses and move on. 

I think most Sox fans wish for us to tender him for one main reason, we don’t want to see him reach his potential elsewhere and for us to not get any value for that, either in trade or results in the rebuild.

Not that this is likely but we’ve all seen people released and then go on to have great careers (Big papi)

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The upside is he has a good April and May and then gets traded for a decent prospect. Apparently the Astros were offering a real prospect until they knew his physical condition.

Yeah he costs 10m but it only is a year and even if the sox somehow manage to sign machado for 35m per year  their 2019 payroll will be barely over 100m for 2019 so it is not they need financial flexibility for 2019.

Play him 2019, hope he bounces back so you get a good 45 fv prospect for him and if not you can still release him in late may to make room for eloy when he comes up.

1 hour ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

The upside is he has a good April and May and then gets traded for a decent prospect. Apparently the Astros were offering a real prospect until they knew his physical condition.

Yeah he costs 10m but it only is a year and even if the sox somehow manage to sign machado for 35m per year  their 2019 payroll will be barely over 100m for 2019 so it is not they need financial flexibility for 2019.

Play him 2019, hope he bounces back so you get a good 45 fv prospect for him and if not you can still release him in late may to make room for eloy when he comes up.

Eloy will be here in April.

18 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I would have to think if Richards' signs a 3 year deal, it's going to be for much more than $18M. I think my plan had him at 3 yrs/$30M.

I don’t think he gets that kind of money (and solid years) considering his injury history. He’ll definitely get more than Smyly and Eovaldi because he’s proven to be the better player when healthy but the injury history is veryreal. 

On 11/25/2018 at 12:32 PM, Joshua Strong said:

I don’t think he gets that kind of money (and solid years) considering his injury history. He’ll definitely get more than Smyly and Eovaldi because he’s proven to be the better player when healthy but the injury history is veryreal. 

Curious to know why you just grouped Eovaldi in with Smyly and Richards, the latter of 2 whom will have signed deals shortly after having TJS.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

To clarify, I had his 3rd year as a team option, so health would be assumed for it to reach 3 years.

Curious to know why you just grouped Eovaldi in with Smyly and Richards, the latter of 2 whom will have signed deals shortly after having TJS.

Those 3 are grouped together because Eovaldi and Smyly each signed 2 year deals despite missing the first full season of the deal. Basically in the same spot as Richards.

17 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Those 3 are grouped together because Eovaldi and Smyly each signed 2 year deals despite missing the first full season of the deal. Basically in the same spot as Richards.

Oh ok, so you are talking about 2016 Eovaldi who got injured and then signed 1 year deal (+ club option). I thought you were referring to current FA Eovaldi and I was confused.

• Like 1