Joe Girardi holding out for a "Chicago team"

ChiliIrishHammock24

Girardi to the Sox?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Sox WOULD attempt to replace Renteria with Girardi?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think the Sox SHOULD attempt to replace Renteria with Girardi?

• Yes
    • No

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/10/21/report-joe-girardi-waiting-for-opening-with-cubs/

Although of course the article only cares to go in depth on the Cubs situation, Heyman tweeted out that Girardi is holding out for a Chicago team.

That being said, does anyone feel the Sox would do to Renteria what the Cubs already did to him before, and ditch him right before the team gets good? Is that something you'd want to see?

I’m not really that much a believer in these “star” managers. The only one I’d stop everything for is Francona.

That said, Girardi in my book is much better than Renteria, so I don’t see a reason not to unless you tell me the money he’s paid will prevent Sox from doing more in FA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daggins said:

When national guys say Chicago, they mean the Cubs. So I don't think he's a realistic option. Also, paying a manager is not Jerry's MO. 

I don't think that Girardi would be the sort who would actually forget us. He could have said holding out for the Cubs and no one would have blamed him. That language seems to specifically include the White Sox. Maybe there was something lost in the paraphrasing, but that seems to be the opposite meaning.

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/10/21/report-joe-girardi-waiting-for-opening-with-cubs/

Although of course the article only cares to go in depth on the Cubs situation, Heyman tweeted out that Girardi is holding out for a Chicago team.

That being said, does anyone feel the Sox would do to Renteria what the Cubs already did to him before, and ditch him right before the team gets good? Is that something you'd want to see?

The difference with us vs. Cubs scenario is Ricky had a promising season with the Cubs, two bad ones with us.

a manager is a manager is a manager - they take all the heat in the bad times and glory in the good times but rarely do I think you can quantify their impact. I'm not sure in this day and age a manager makes as big of a difference as they maybe used to. Now with so much information available it's really if the manager (and his bench team) are willing to apply said information and make tough moves.

I have no idea of Girardi is the type of guy to move with the times or dig in and be an "old school" guy. I will say if he lasted a decade in the Bronx that he probably is an upgrade though over Ricky & most other managers. I'd be willing to talk to him if we don't see much of a step forward this year with Ricky. I was expecting a few more nice jumps from our players this year and I do think he has to be held somewhat accountable for that.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/sox-drawer-qa-joe-girardi-enoy-jimenez-and-chris-sales-infected-belly-button

Q: Jon Heyman tweeted out earlier that Joe Girardi pulled out of the Reds managerial search because he wants to wait a year for the Chicago job. Do you think he’s talking about the Sox? — @piratedwight

CG: I don’t know if the report is true or not, but what I do know is that Girardi grew up a Cubs fan and he later played for the Cubs. Put those two together and I’d assume he would love to manage them in the future. Something to consider: The main reason Yankees general manager Brian Cashman gave for firing Girardi in 2017 was that he felt he had trouble communicating and connecting with the young players. For a young, rebuilding team like the White Sox, that might be a red flag. Granted, that’s the Yankees' side of the story. Personally, I don’t think he’s interested in managing the White Sox.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

To me managing comes down to 2 things. Running your bullpen, and making sure guys don't check out. Other than that, there are millions capable of being a major league managet.

Don't forget never calling for a bunt. This is the American League. Never bunt. It's one of my (and others I'm sure) main criticisms of Rick Renteria.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aryzner said:

Don't forget never calling for a bunt. This is the American League. Never bunt. It's one of my (and others I'm sure) main criticisms of Rick Renteria.

Don't want to debate it but there are times that bunting is a good strategy to avoid a DP late in a game where only 1 run could mean victory. Of course then the opposing manager could walk the bases loaded but still I'll take the man on third with 1 out when it's the potential winning run and maybe even the tying run too.