Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

A little bored at work today, so decided to start a fun thread on offseason moves.  The idea isn't necessarily to predict what you think would happen, but what you would try do if you were in Rick Hahn's spot.  I decided to have a little fun with mine, so its definitely far-fetched.  But I think this is a team that could be super interested, adds guys to the next core without compromising the future, and stays within a payroll range that the Sox have operated at before the rebuild.  

My offseason moves:

Sign Machado - 8 years @ $290M

Sign AJ Pollock - 3 years @ $68M

Sign Hyun-Jin Ryu - 2 years @ $19M

Sign Daniel Hudson - 2 years @ $11M

Trade Avi Garcia, Blake Rutherford and Jimmy Lambert for Jon Gray and Colton Welker

Trade Kevan Smith or add him to DFA list below if needed

DFA: LaMarre, Tilson, Scahill, Gomez and Farquahar

Let FA to be Shields, Gonzalez, Santiago walk

Roster as of May 1st (estimated 2019 salary):

1B: Abreu ($18M)

2B: Moncada ($570k)

SS: Anderson ($1.4M)

3B: Machado ($37M)

LF: Leury Garcia ($2M)

CF: Pollock ($23M)

RF: Eloy ($560k)

DH: Palka ($560k) / Davidson ($1M) platoon

Catcher: Castillo ($7.25M) / Narvaez ($570k) platoon

BN: Davidson, Narvaez, Yolmer ($3.5M) and Engel ($560k)

Rotation: Rodon ($3.5M), Lopez ($570k), Giolito ($570k), Ryu ($10M) and Gray ($2.5M)

Bullpen: Jones ($1.25M), Hamilton ($560k), Hudson ($5.5M), Fry ($560k), Frare ($560k), Ruiz  ($560k) and Burdi ($560k)

Total payroll: ~ $122.75M

Trade Abreu

Trade Sanchez

Trade Rodon

---------------------------------------

Sign Joe Kelly 3/21

Sign Garret Richards 3/30

Sign Lance Lynn 1/12

Sign Cody Allen 1/8

Sign AJ Ramos 1/4

Sign Marwin Gonzalez to play LF 1/5

Sign Matt Adams 1/3

Sign Brett Gardner 1/6

Sign Josh Donaldson 1/18

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

A little bored at work today, so decided to start a fun thread on offseason moves.  The idea isn't necessarily to predict what you think would happen, but what you would try do if you were in Rick Hahn's spot.  I decided to have a little fun with mine, so its definitely far-fetched.  But I think this is a team that could be super interested, adds guys to the next core without compromising the future, and stays within a payroll range that the Sox have operated at before the rebuild.  

My offseason moves:

Sign Machado - 8 years @ $290M

Sign AJ Pollock - 3 years @ $68M

Sign Hyun-Jin Ryu - 2 years @ $19M 

Sign Daniel Hudson - 2 years @ $11M

Trade Avi Garcia, Blake Rutherford and Jimmy Lambert for Jon Gray and Colton Welker

Trade Kevan Smith or add him to DFA list below if needed

DFA: LaMarre, Tilson, Scahill, Gomez and Farquahar

Let FA to be Shields, Gonzalez, Santiago walk

Roster as of May 1st (estimated 2019 salary):

1B: Abreu ($18M)

2B: Moncada ($570k)

SS: Anderson ($1.4M)

3B: Machado ($37M)

LF: Leury Garcia ($2M)

CF: Pollock ($23M)

RF: Eloy ($560k)

DH: Palka ($560k) / Davidson ($1M) platoon

Catcher: Castillo ($7.25M) / Narvaez ($570k) platoon

BN: Davidson, Narvaez, Yolmer ($3.5M) and Engel ($560k)

Rotation: Rodon ($3.5M), Lopez ($570k), Giolito ($570k), Ryu ($10M) and Gray ($2.5M)

Bullpen: Jones ($1.25M), Hamilton ($560k), Hudson ($5.5M), Fry ($560k), Frare ($560k), Ruiz  ($560k) and Burdi ($560k)

Total payroll: ~ $122.75M

Yeah that aint happening

29 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Trade Abreu

Trade Sanchez

Trade Rodon

Sign Joe Kelly 3/21

Sign Garret Richards 3/30

Sign Lance Lynn 1/12

Sign Cody Allen 1/8

Sign AJ Ramos 1/4

Sign Marwin Gonzalez to play LF 1/5

Sign Matt Adams 1/3

Sign Brett Gardner 1/6

Sign Josh Donaldson 1/18

Lance Lynn will most definitely get more money/years than he did coming off a bad season and tied to draft pick compensation.

Your forecast for what Marwin Gonzalez will get is also way off.  He’ll get three to four years with an AAV close to $10m I’d wager.

1 hour ago, wrathofhahn said:

Trade Abreu - Yes

Trade Sanchez  - Rather not trade the small chance he explodes for the marginal value he'd bring

Trade Rodon - sure if the value is there.

Sign Joe Kelly 3/21 - No

Sign Garret Richards 3/30 - No

Sign Lance Lynn 1/12 No

Sign Cody Allen 1/8  yes

Sign AJ Ramos 1/4 -sure, why not; maybe Coop can fix.

Sign Marwin Gonzalez to play LF 1/5  Yes

Sign Matt Adams 1/3  No

Sign Brett Gardner 1/6  No

Sign Josh Donaldson 1/18   Yes

This is a nice thorough plan, but not overwhelming, so I'll comment above.

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

.500ish if the pitching holds up.

• Sign Manny Machado for 10 years and $300 million, with opt outs after year 4 and year 7.
  • Sign Andrew McCutchen for 2 years and $30 million.
  • Sign Trevor Cahill for 2 years and $20 million.
  • Sign Jeurys Familia sign for 2 years and $15 million.
  • Sign Kelvin Herrera for 2 years and $15 million.
  • Sign James Shields for 1 year and $2 million.

Lineup:

2B Moncada

CF McCutchen

3B Machado

1B Abreu

LF Jimenez 

DH Palka

RF Garcia

C Castillo 

SS Anderson

Bench:

IF Sanchez

OF Engel

IF/OF Leury Garcia

C Narvaez

Rotation:

Rodon

Lopez

Giolito

Cahill

Shields

Bullpen:

Fry 

Frare

Bummer

Minaya

Jones

Herrera 

Familia

Edited by Whitesox27

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lance Lynn will most definitely get more money/years than he did coming off a bad season and tied to draft pick compensation.

Your forecast for what Marwin Gonzalez will get is also way off.  He’ll get three to four years with an AAV close to $10m I’d wager.

Huh? Why would Marwin get those kind of numbers?

Also Lance Lynn had an ok year but 10=10 4.77 ERA doesn't scream big money or term to me. If anything he should be worth less because he had a much better year in 2017.

Thing is for me I'm willing to take chance because his stuff is still solid but you are right at his age he maybe more interested in term. Just don't see a ton of teams offering it he may get 2-3 years for really low money.

IMO, the only way the Sox sign Machado is if they front load the contract. Obviously they will need to add opt out years too. Something like 40 mll the first year or 35 mil the first two years. 

The opt out needs to be at earliest after year 4. Ideally, it is after year 5. 

Dump Avi and contribute that payroll to Machado. If it doesn't bother Machado, nontender Abreu as well. Contribute that salary to Machado. The Sox need to do everything in their power to get Machado.

DFA: Kevan Smith, Charlie Tilson, Ryan LaMarre, Rob Schaill, Jeanmar Gomez, and Danny Farquar

Gone due to free agency: James Shields, Hector Santiago, and Miguel Gonzalez

Extension: Jose Abreu 4 years/65 million

Trades: Blake Rutherford, Avisail Garcia, Seby Zavala, and Carson Fulmer to the Rockies for Jon Gray and Peter Lambert
Nicky Delmonico will get traded just don't know for what.

Free Agents:
3B Josh Donaldson 2 years/30 million
CF Andrew McCutchen 2 years/25 million
SP Gio Gonzalez 1 year/6 million
RF Marwin Gonzalez 4 years/50 million

Lineup
2B Yoan Moncada
CF Andrew McCutchen
1B Jose Abreu
3B Josh Donaldson
LF Eloy Jimenez (Palka until he comes up in April)
RF Marwin Gonzalez
DH Daniel Palka
C Wellington Castillo
SS Tim Anderson

Bench
C Omar Narvaez
1B/3B Matt Davidson
UTIL Yolmer Sanchez
OF Adam Engel

Starting Rotation
SP Carlos Rodon
SP Reynaldo Lopez
SP Jon Gray
SP Lucas Giolito
SP Gio Gonzalez

Bullpen
Dylan Covey (long man)
Aaron Bummer
Ryan Burr
Juan Minaya
Jace Fry
Ian Hamilton 
Nate Jones

I think we miss out on Machado and Harper but they would definitely be 1A and 1B this off season.  Thoughts?

Edited by GGajewski18

44 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Huh? Why would Marwin get those kind of numbers?

Also Lance Lynn had an ok year but 10=10 4.77 ERA doesn't scream big money or term to me. If anything he should be worth less because he had a much better year in 2017.

Thing is for me I'm willing to take chance because his stuff is still solid but you are right at his age he maybe more interested in term. Just don't see a ton of teams offering it he may get 2-3 years for really low money.

Because Marwin is incredibly versatile, a league average hitter or better, and still under 30.  I bet he gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/$36M.  FWIW, James Fegan had him as a possibility to us at 4/$70M, which sounds crazy to me but he’s gonna get paid a decent amount.

As for Lynn, he was a significantly better pitcher in 2018 than 2017, ERA be damned.  And his velocity also returned to form making him a much more attractive pitcher.  I threw out a 2/$35M contract idea in another thread and I’m not even sure that will be enough.  He’s certainly getting more than he did last offseason when he cost the Twins a draft pick.

29 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Nick Castellanos is guy that hasn't been talked about a whole lot but would look in great in the Sox outfield. He isn't a free agent until after next season but he'll only be 28 on Opening Day 2020 and can flat out hit. Stealing him from the Tigers would be a plus as well.

How do you suggest “stealing” him?

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because Marwin is incredibly versatile, a league average hitter or better, and still under 30.  I bet he gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/$36M.  FWIW, James Fegan had him as a possibility to us at 4/$70M, which sounds crazy to me but he’s gonna get paid a decent amount.

As for Lynn, he was a significantly better pitcher in 2018 than 2017, ERA be damned.  And his velocity also returned to form making him a much more attractive pitcher.  I threw out a 2/$35M contract idea in another thread and I’m not even sure that will be enough.  He’s certainly getting more than he did last offseason when he cost the Twins a draft pick.

Well it's hard to predict free agency but going off last year I can't see any of those numbers happening. Isn't James f**an an agent?

You look at what Yonder Alonso got which was 2/18 and he was coming off a better season. I could see him maybe getting that if someone really wanted him but if someone wants to do better let them I'm just looking at him as a bounce back guy.

Edit: NVM that is Dan Fegan

Edited by wrathofhahn