Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

16 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Technically everyone had the same ability to make an offer, correct. Or were we maxed out because of the Robert signing and thus truly limited to the $300K max?  The beauty of Ohtani was all about the fact that as a franchise, you could only offer so much.  

It was the same rules as international prospects from LA. He ended up getting like seven or eight million, I think. We couldn’t have given him that. 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No.  The Sox have plenty of money to sign either Harper or Machado, plus other 2nd tier FA.  They have virtually nothing committed long term.  At some point, when the time is right (whether that is now or a couple season down the road), the Sox will again above average in the payroll.    

I think they should non-tender Avi anyway, so that isn't a huge deal to me. Abreu is iffy on my book too. I think he's going to be impossible to move at 16-20M. To most other teams, he's a DH that is coming off of a bad season. If they aren't going  to re-sign him, he should be cut loose as well. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Forget about Machado and Harper. Noodle on Jed Lowrie for 2yr/25M w/option for yr. 3. Switch hitter w/pop (23 HRs/99RBIs) who can play 2nd or 3rd. Might as well see if Moncada can play 3rd now and Lowrie can be a more than adequate place holder until Madrigal arrives. If not, keep Moncada at 2nd and Lowrie at 3rd. While were' at it, try to pry Greg Bird away from the Yankees...perfect buy-low, change of scenery candidate who is a huge defensive upgrade at first. I'm guessing the Yankees might entertain Yolmer straight-up as IF insurance until Gregorius returns (maybe Glaybar at SS and Yolmer at 2nd). No reason to NT Avi since he is blocking no one and for some odd reason, I think he is gonna come out strong in 2019...if anything, flip him at the deadline. Keep Jose as platoon 1B and DH.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think they should non-tender Avi anyway, so that isn't a huge deal to me. Abreu is iffy on my book too. I think he's going to be impossible to move at 16-20M. To most other teams, he's a DH that is coming off of a bad season. If they aren't going  to re-sign him, he should be cut loose as well. 

I'd non tender Avi, and have said that multiple times on here.

Abreu is a no-brainer to tender, and he will most certainly be on the roster next season unless someone offers a nice prospect in return, which I doubt will happen.  Jose is worth what he gets paid, so not much surplus value there.  But he's not blocking anyone of note, is a great teammate and good stick.  He'll be on the team. 

Not sure if this goes under this topic but would really like to see Hahn be creative/aggressive re: trades this offseason. Don't know what kind of haul we should expect from a Rodon trade but I'd have to believe the Cardinals might part with either Reyes or Hudson plus Gorman. I'd also consider taking on Dexter Fowlers contract if they would through in Knizner (C). 

38 minutes ago, Flash said:

Forget about Machado and Harper. Noodle on Jed Lowrie for 2yr/25M w/option for yr. 3. Switch hitter w/pop (23 HRs/99RBIs) who can play 2nd or 3rd. Might as well see if Moncada can play 3rd now and Lowrie can be a more than adequate place holder until Madrigal arrives. If not, keep Moncada at 2nd and Lowrie at 3rd. While were' at it, try to pry Greg Bird away from the Yankees...perfect buy-low, change of scenery candidate who is a huge defensive upgrade at first. I'm guessing the Yankees might entertain Yolmer straight-up as IF insurance until Gregorius returns (maybe Glaybar at SS and Yolmer at 2nd). No reason to NT Avi since he is blocking no one and for some odd reason, I think he is gonna come out strong in 2019...if anything, flip him at the deadline. Keep Jose as platoon 1B and DH.

Yankees just don't seem to "dump" or give away players, I have a hard time they would sell low on Bird. They clearly think highly of him and have all the resources in the world to keep him. 

The dodgers/cubs created a blue print for just keeping surpluses when others thought they should unload for weaknesses. I don't see Yanks offloading young players for no reason.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yankees just don't seem to "dump" or give away players, I have a hard time they would sell low on Bird. They clearly think highly of him and have all the resources in the world to keep him. 

The dodgers/cubs created a blue print for just keeping surpluses when others thought they should unload for weaknesses. I don't see Yanks offloading young players for no reason.

So I guess Frazier is out of the question....

6 minutes ago, Flash said:

So I guess Frazier is out of the question....

Well, i guess I do think he'll be moved. The thing for me is regardless of performance, ny media always talks about how they love Bird. There's been rumors of Frazier being shipped since forever.

OTOH, they haven't moved him, and Cashman has just been on an unbelievable roll with trades.

18 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

When can free agents begin signing with teams? Isn't it 10 days after the conclusion of the World Series?

I thought it was the day after the conclusion of the World Series? I know baseball free agency just isn't the feeding frenzy that football free agency is.

3 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I thought it was the day after the conclusion of the World Series? I know baseball free agency just isn't the feeding frenzy that football free agency is.

Free agents can sign with new teams until about 10 days after. 

Edit: here's the official timeline: 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/the-mlb-offseason-begins-2.html

Edited by soxfan2014

Everyone is assuming Machado will sign for 10 years, around 350 (that's what the vast majority use).. That's an average yearly value of 35 mil.. What if we differentiated ourselves by going 12 years at 400 million.  Drops the AAV to 33 mil and his final year will be at age 38 (yes risky) instead of 36.  Is that two years really worth not getting him if this is enough?  This will differentiate ourselves assuming everyone sticks on the 10 year plan.  Offer opt outs after 4 years and 8 years.  No he probably wouldn't be worth 33 mil in his age 35+ seasons but I believe his early years will makeup for that.  Thoughts from everyone but Greg and Jack? lol

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

Everyone is assuming Machado will sign for 10 years, around 350 (that's what the vast majority use).. That's an average yearly value of 35 mil.. What if we differentiated ourselves by going 12 years at 400 million.  Drops the AAV to 33 mil and his final year will be at age 38 (yes risky) instead of 36.  Is that two years really worth not getting him if this is enough?  This will differentiate ourselves assuming everyone sticks on the 10 year plan.  Offer opt outs after 4 years and 8 years.  No he probably wouldn't be worth 33 mil in his age 35+ seasons but I believe his early years will makeup for that.  Thoughts from everyone but Greg and Jack? lol

Interesting.  I don't think Machado gets that long of a deal though.  Some execs since the WS have been quoted as saying they think Machado lands more in 6-7 years $33M AAV range ($230M range).  Some of that certainly may be posturing, but I ultimately think some the guesstimates around here are on the high end.  I guess we'll see.  

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Interesting.  I don't think Machado gets that long of a deal though.  Some execs since the WS have been quoted as saying they think Machado lands more in 6-7 years $33M AAV range ($230M range).  Some of that certainly may be posturing, but I ultimately think some the guesstimates around here are on the high end.  I guess we'll see.  

If Machado was sitting there with those offers I would happily, with this franchise, make an offer that is several years longer to beat that deal and then offer a year 4/5 opt out.

What sounds better: a) signing a player that is 30 or 31 years old (Cano and Pujols as reference) to a 10-year deal or b) signing a 12-year deal to a player that is 26? Honestly, I think my preference is B. Almost all of the prime years instead of the back part of the prime and a free agent at a slightly younger age.

Edited by soxfan2014

24 minutes ago, Ross Gload Fan said:

Yeah great guy but we don’t want to be the ones to win that bidding war at this point. The Braves and Rays have farms as strong as ours and have way more incentive to win now. 

7 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

If you stack that so the age 37-38 seasons are worth like $30 million total, it's not a terrible idea. Still likely that the first 5 years or so of the deal are the most important, though.