Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We can agree to disagree. I’d prefer to 2/3rds of our outfield not be named Engel, Garcia and/or Delmonico. Too many good players in 2020 is a good problem. The Sox can easily afford a $15M AAV contract for a guy like Pollock. 

Agree to disagree indeed.  I would say that just because you can afford something, doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.  That 15 Mil could be spent in far more productive ways than on a decent OFer that had a great season 4 years ago (not to mention this is the area in which your farm system has the most depth).  Spend that money on guys like Herrera and Allen that the team could then trade mid-season.  Or spend it on Harper or Machado.  Keep it in your pocket for Arenado, Goldschmidt, Sale or Cole.  Spending just because you can is never a good idea.  

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lance Lynn at 2/$16M seems like a fucking steal to me.  I’d also add Allen & Pomeranz on one year deals if at all possible.

Can't we steal Moustakas for 4/40 mill or something like that? Lock him up then we have flexibility with Burger. IF of Moose at 3B, Timmy SS, Moncada 2B and Jose first would be imposing for years to come. We could move Madrigal or Moncada to OF if necessary. I think Moose is a natural for the Cell. Lefty hitter ... boom, 35 hrs.

If we’re going for bad character stretches, might as well sign Kang for one year at third...

Would sign Joe Kelly (closer or 5th starter) and Ottavino.  Brantley or Pollock for 3 years.  Kick the tires on Moustakas or Josh Harrison on one year deals (assuming Kang wouldn’t be considered.)   Then one veteran starter added.  That gives them an outside shot if everything goes right and the Indians suffer some major injuries to their rotation and/or Lindor or Jose Ramirez.

Fwiw, the Cubs aren’t going to give up Happ and Russell along with Heyward, if anything, they’re better off moving Schwarber, but no way both young players go together.  Besides, that would force Almora Jr., into everyday play without it being warranted.  And the Cubs must have magic dust if they can assume Zobrist can repeat 2018 at his age.

The only way that huge package comes back is with Rodon going the other way.  But then the return’s a bit light for the Sox.  Sox counter with Jones/Rodon + taking on remainder of the Heyward deal to get Russell and Happ...they’d actually be better off with Darvish’s deal, with Steverson unlikely to do much with a veteran hitting project.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If we’re going for bad character stretches, might as well sign Kang for one year at third...

Would sign Joe Kelly (closer or 5th starter) and Ottavino.  Brantley or Pollock for 3 years.  Kick the tires on Moustakas or Josh Harrison on one year deals (assuming Kang wouldn’t be considered.)   Then one veteran starter added.  That gives them an outside shot if everything goes right and the Indians suffer some major injuries to their rotation and/or Lindor or Jose Ramirez.

Fwiw, the Cubs aren’t going to give up Happ and Russell along with Heyward, if anything, they’re better off moving Schwarber, but no way both young players go together.  Besides, that would force Almora Jr., into everyday play without it being warranted.  And the Cubs must have magic dust if they can assume Zobrist can repeat 2018 at his age.

The only way that huge package comes back is with Rodon going the other way.  But then the return’s a bit light for the Sox.  Sox counter with Jones/Rodon + taking on remainder of the Heyward deal to get Russell and Happ...they’d actually be better off with Darvish’s deal, with Steverson unlikely to do much with a veteran hitting project.

Holy fuck of a post!

18 names?!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If you sign Harper you might as well add Donaldson on a one year deal.  I’ve included Steamer’s projected wRC+ for 2019 as well.  The lineup below would be projected to have four guys above 125, which would be insane.  Steamer is only projecting a total of 34 guys in all of baseball to meet that criteria.

1. Moncada, CF (99)
  2. Donaldson, 3B (131)
  3. Harper, LF (147)
  4. Abreu, 1B (125)
  5. Jimenez, RF (129)
  6. Palka, DH (98)
  7. Anderdon, SS (85)
  8. Narvaez, C (93)
  9. Rondon, 2B (83)

Now, god only knows what our pitching staff would like, but that’s an offense you could dream on at least.

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you sign Harper you might as well add Donaldson on a one year deal.  I’ve included Steamer’s projected wRC+ for 2019 as well.  The lineup below would be projected to have four guys above 125, which would be insane.  Steamer is only projecting a total of 34 guys in all of baseball to meet that criteria.

1. Moncada, CF (99)
  2. Donaldson, 3B (131)
  3. Harper, LF (147)
  4. Abreu, 1B (125)
  5. Jimenez, RF (129)
  6. Palka, DH (98)
  7. Anderdon, SS (85)
  8. Narvaez, C (93)
  9. Rondon, 2B (83)

Now, god only knows what our pitching staff would like, but that’s an offense you could dream on at least.

That lineup would win the central especially if the Indians do indeed retool.

12 minutes ago, sox71 said:

Actually quite stunned by this, not even a prediction of a signing in the top 50, but let's see what happens. 

Read the footnotes though:

• The White Sox, Orioles, Pirates, Marlins, and Diamondbacks did not end up with any free agents from this list.  Certainly they might be in play on some of the more affordable names, at least, with the Chicago organization perhaps also potentially going after some more premium targets.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Moncada, CF (99)
  2. Donaldson, 3B (131)
  3. Harper, LF (147)
  4. Abreu, 1B (125)
  5. Jimenez, RF (129)
  6. Palka, DH (98)
  7. Anderdon, SS (85)
  8. Narvaez, C (93)
  9. Rondon, 2B (83)

Castillo probably will be the #1 catcher and if no Machdo they will hope for a good season and sell him at the deadline.

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Can we please stop throwing Moncada in CF for the 2019 season when there has been literally nothing to suggest he will be out there (yet)?

Also, this gives me reason for optimism:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/296665770-yoan-moncada-wants-to-stay-at-second-base.amp.html

General manager Rick Hahn was asked about Moncada switching positions during his year-end interview session last Wednesday. His answer was steeped more in the hypothetical.

"It's conceivable if we made a decision as an organization to try him elsewhere that we would do it as soon as this offseason or next Spring Training, you'd see it in action," Hahn said. "He has made a great deal of progress at second base.

"I also think he has the athleticism to be an above-average defender at other positions, too. It's a subject for further conversation. But as he sits here today, I am pleased with the progress and the pitch-to-pitch focus and the athleticism, the arm strength, and foot movement and his hands at second base."

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Moncada, CF (99)
  2. Donaldson, 3B (131)
  3. Harper, LF (147)
  4. Abreu, 1B (125)
  5. Jimenez, RF (129)
  6. Palka, DH (98)
  7. Anderdon, SS (85)
  8. Narvaez, C (93)
  9. Rondon, 2B (83)

I'd have Castillo at catcher and preferably someone else at 2nd base (maybe someone like Jed Lowrie), but otherwise this would be amazing. 

1 minute ago, Whitesox27 said:

I'd have Castillo at catcher and preferably someone else at 2nd base (maybe someone like Jed Lowrie), but otherwise this would be amazing. 

In all honesty, I’d love a Narvaez for Jon Gray trade (with other pieces involved potentially) to bolster the rotation and then give Castillo the vast majority of starts at C.  I like Omar’s bat, but 2018 will likely be a career year and his defense leaves a lot to be desired. The time to sell high is now.  Just don’t know how other front offices will view him.  I do know the Rockies are desperate for a catching upgrade and don’t have a lot of money to fill the hole.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

In all honesty, I’d love a Narvaez for Jon Gray trade (with other pieces involved potentially) to bolster the rotation and then give Castillo the vast majority of starts at C.  I like Omar’s bat, but 2018 will likely be a career year and his defense leaves a lot to be desired. The time to sell high is now.  Just don’t know how other front offices will view him.  I do know the Rockies are desperate for a catching upgrade and don’t have a lot of money to fill the hole.

I wish you were GM. I love your ideas. There is really no excuse for the Sox to not be in on Harper and Machado but with this front office you never know.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

So basically, if we don't get Machado/Donaldson/a big name 3B, Moncada will be moving there. Not sure if I like that, it's probably not really wise to move high ceiling defenders over for guys who are in single A 

I honestly like the CF idea if we can get Machado. Let Moncada play both 2B and CF. Versitility is a good thing. I also like the idea of getting Rondon into the lineup. 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I honestly like the CF idea if we can get Machado. Let Moncada play both 2B and CF. Versitility is a good thing. I also like the idea of getting Rondon into the lineup. 

I like Rondon too, and I always am pro-positional versatility, but I don't know if center field in particular would be worthwhile. We just have so many good center field prospects, it's really hard for me to see us ending up with zero starting CF types. I even think that a healthy Robert would be a league average-ish CF in MLB right now, mainly due to defense and speed/singles alone.