Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

24 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I like Rondon too, and I always am pro-positional versatility, but I don't know if center field in particular would be worthwhile. We just have so many good center field prospects, it's really hard for me to see us ending up with zero starting CF types. I even think that a healthy Robert would be a league average-ish CF in MLB right now, mainly due to defense and speed/singles alone. 

I think you do what’s best for Moncada first and worry about the prospects later.  Any excess at given position can be used to fill other holes.  Plus all our CF prospects can pretty much play anywhere in the OF.  Having three plus defenders with above average arms would only be a good thing.  

10 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I am confused why people want Jose Rondon in the lineup. He is young but isn't like he tore it up when he was up here, he hit .230 & struck out 30% of his ABs. He needs to be in AAA to begin next year

He also had 6 HR & 6 2B in just over 100 plate appearances.  That’s in addtion to the 18 HR he hit in 80 games at AAA.  The power looks like it might legit, which is shocking as that’s what drove down his prospect rankings in the past.  His calling card coming up was actually being a good defensive SS.  

If Rondon can be a plus defensive 2B with 20+ HR power, we’re talking about an incredibly valuable player even with his plate discipline shortcomings.  That’s a player worth investing some time in during a rebuild season and one who is far more interesting than most of the fringe guys we rolled out there last year.

27 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I am confused why people want Jose Rondon in the lineup. He is young but isn't like he tore it up when he was up here, he hit .230 & struck out 30% of his ABs. He needs to be in AAA to begin next year

Very small sample in the big leagues. Power is for real. Decent pedigree. He’s a major leaguer. He has an option so likely starts the year in AAA, but I’d like to get a better look at him in the bigs next season. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He also had 6 HR & 6 2B in just over 100 plate appearances.  That’s in addtion to the 18 HR he hit in 80 games at AAA.  The power looks like it might legit, which is shocking as that’s what drove down his prospect rankings in the past.  His calling card coming up was actually being a good defensive SS.  

If Rondon can be a plus defensive 2B with 20+ HR power, we’re talking about an incredibly valuable player even with his plate discipline shortcomings.  That’s a player worth investing some time in during a rebuild season and one who is far more interesting than most of the fringe guys we rolled out there last year.

Pretty much a Brian Dozier type 2B. Quite valueable at the minimum. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Very small sample in the big leagues. Power is for real. Decent pedigree. He’s a major leaguer. He has an option so likely starts the year in AAA, but I’d like to get a better look at him in the bigs next season. 

I’d honestly rather have Rondon as our reserve IF than Sanchez.  I really like Yomer, but I don’t see the point of spending $5M on a reserve infielder and I think Rondon has more upside.  I’d be looking to deal Sanchez this offseason and reallocate those savings elsewhere.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

And then when they go over the teams that weren't mentioned, they don't even mention that the White Sox weren't mentioned. :lolhitting

Dierkes is from Chicago and is a Cub fan. One should not be surprised about that. My cousin hung out with the guy a couple times before he started that website. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty much a Brian Dozier type 2B. Quite valueable at the minimum. 

Yup, and a great fit for the Cell given how much it plays up HR’s and the importance it places on infield defense.  I’m a big OBP guy but there’s nothing wrong with a having a couple guys like Rondon at the bottom of the lineup.

41 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Same reason after 2017 season that alot of people on here wanted yolmer playing everyday. Plays decent for a bit but then gets to play more and shows not everyday player. 

I'll redo mine...

Sign: 

Yusei Kikuchi- 4 years 40 Mil

Mike Moustakas- 2 years 18 Mil

Cody Allen- 2 years 20 Mil

Justin Wilson- 2 years 12 Mil

Trade: Jose Abreu to the Philles for Maikel Franco and Nick Williams

C- Narvaez/Beef (2)

1B- Franco (3)

2B- Moncada (4)

SS- Anderson (5)

3B- Moustakas (6)

LF- Williams (7)

CF- Engel/Garcia (8)

RF- Avi (9)

DH- Palka/Davidson (11)

Bench- Yolmer and Delmonico (13)

SP- Rondon (14)

SP- Lopez (15)

SP- Giolito (16)

SP- Kikuchi (17)

SP- Covey (18)

Long Relief- 

1. Fulmer (19)

Middlle- 

1. Hamilton (20)

2. Minaya (21)

3. WIlson (22)

Setup-

1. Jones (23)

2. Fry (24)

Closer-

Cody Allen (25)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Same reason after 2017 season that alot of people on here wanted yolmer playing everyday. Plays decent for a bit but then gets to play more and shows not everyday player. 

Covey was deemed great after a few starts and Nicky Delmonico was a full time starter going into last off season to a lot of people on this board too...

19 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

TheFutureisNear, love the trade idea with Jose to the phills. Not sure if they'd do it, but it has to be explored!

They currently have 3 1B on the roster with Santana, Hoskins, and Bour so not really sure that it's a fit.

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The Phillies already have two first basemen (with no DH spot in the NL) and one of the worst defenses in baseball because of it, they won't be adding any more

Not saying it’s a good defensive move for them but they commited Hoskins to LF and Santana plated a decent amount of 3B...wouldn’t be difficult to play all 3. Of course just spit balling here, not saying they’d definitely do it or anything. But I think the Phillies definitely make some big splash moves this offseason, they are in “go for it mode” Jose could be 1 of the better hitters they can acquire without giving up a ton. 

Really the Phillies just interest me as trade partners in general. Franco, Williams, and even Odubel Herrera would all be interesting adds to our lineup

41 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Not saying it’s a good defensive move for them but they commited Hoskins to LF and Santana plated a decent amount of 3B...wouldn’t be difficult to play all 3. Of course just spit balling here, not saying they’d definitely do it or anything. But I think the Phillies definitely make some big splash moves this offseason, they are in “go for it mode” Jose could be 1 of the better hitters they can acquire without giving up a ton. 

Really the Phillies just interest me as trade partners in general. Franco, Williams, and even Odubel Herrera would all be interesting adds to our lineup

I think the Phillies trading one of Franco/Crawford (3B/SS) means they just signed Machado a week or two prior.

When do the Sox spend $ to try and start building a winning culture while also bringing up talented prospects, and not blocking them? 

I know none of this will likely happen, but this would be my wish. We don’t lose picks signing any of these guys and no long term bad contracts. Allows you to take a 62 win team and fill holes while allowing prospects time to develop, and should push team up to being competitive, especially if Cleveland sells. 

Sign 3B Mike Moustakas 3 years 45 mill. 

Sign RF Andrew McCutchen 3 years 45 mill. 

Sign CF AJ Pollock 3 years 45 mill. 

Sign SP Nathan Eovaldi 3 years 48 mill. 

Sign SP Lance Lynn 2 years 18 mill. 

Sox spend $70 million per year on 5 signings none longer than a 3 year contract. 

C - Narvaez/Castillo

1B- Abreu

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Moustakas 

LF - Jimenez (after a couple of weeks)

CF - Pollock

RF - McCutchen

DH - Palka 

Bench - Sanchez, Davidson, Engel, L. Garcia 

SP - Rodon/Eovaldi/Lopez/Giolito/Lynn

RP - Fry, Jones, Bummer, Vieria, Fulmer, Minaya, Frare. 

Laugh away. 

Edited by Sox Fan In Husker Land
  • Like 1

So, the Sox have, according to Cot's, including arbitration projections, 54,425 allocated to next season's payroll.  The Indians were smack in the middle of payroll last year (15th/30) at about 137 million.  To get the Sox to the middle of the pack, well they have about 80 million dollars to work within.  Now, who knows what their budget is, and where they want to be, but to say middle of the pack doesn't seem extreme to me either way.  That is the target I am going to use, so basically, I am spending a lot of Jerry's money this offseason.

40 Million on Bryce.  I'd give him the 11/330 deal that I mentioned in another thread with it front loaded a bit.  That still gives you about 40 million to work with.  With signing Harper, you could not tender the contract to Avi, saving you 8 Million there as well (even if they initially agree to a deal, can't they cut him before spring training for a nominal %?).

10 Million (each year for 2 years -- a little more $ than the MLBTR projection) to Mike Moustakas.  Another LH bat, plays 3B, short enough term where he wouldn't block anyone, not that that is a pressing matter. 

7/ season ( 6 years) for Kikuchi.  Just using the MLBTR projection here.  I have no idea (obviously) where this will end up.

10/ year 2 years for Cody Allen. ( a little more than the MLBTR Projection).

8 /year for 2 years for Kelvin Herrera ( an extra year from what MLBTR projects)

That would give the Sox:

Lineup:                                                Rotation                                           Bullpen

Moncada   (2B)                                     Rodon                                             Allen                          

Harper       (RF)                                     Lopez                                               Herrera  

Abreu        (1B)                                    Kikuchi                                             Jones

Moustakas (3B)                                    Giolito                                             Fry

Eloy              (LF)                                    Covey(??)                                         Burr

Palka            (DH)                                                                                           Frare

Anderson      (SS)                                                                                           Minaya

Castillo/Narvaez  (C)

Engel  (CF)

Bench:

Leury

Sanchez

Davidson/ Nicky

This would put your payroll at about 121 million.

This also give you the flexibility to play Moncada in CF and Sanchez at 2B.

Your lineup would be very deep and dangerous.  7 guys capable of hitting at least 20 HRs,  Good LH/RH balance.  While, not perfect, this lineup, I think, could carry Engel.

The rotation is a question for certain.  Definitely the weakest part of the team, but I just don't see the answers in free agency.  If you could get Greinke on the cheap, he'd be a great fit.  Not sure who else would be available.  Rumors are that Cleveland may be interested in trading Kluber, that would also be worth exploring.  Though he would cost a ton in prospect capital, so he seems less likely.

The bullpen, while again, not perfect, should be deep.  There are 2- maybe 3 options for closer, though I prefer Jones in a set up role.  While Herrera and Allen's best days are likely behind them, they are still effective and I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen back to his dominant ways.  It would give you a formidable 7-8-9, also keeping in mind guys like Hamilton in AAA.

I think you could do this without breaking the bank (spending a lot yes, but still below average in terms of total payroll).  This would give you a solid, deep lineup, and a dangerous bullpen.  You don't block any important prospects, buy a little time for development, and you get competitive.  You may even be able to win the Central, especially if Cleveland is looking at trimming payroll as rumors suggest, heck, they are already weakened considerably just by the free agents they appear ready to lose.

If the season didn't work out, you should be able to trade at least Herrera and Allen and get a decent return as well.

I know it won't happen.  Don't bother me with those trifles! 

• Like 1

Loving the post @turnin' two thanks.

I'd love to see if I could get Pollock / McCutchen / Brantley or something to replace Engel, I've had enough of his offensive inability... he is great defensively.

I'm not against Mous, but I'm not necessairly for him either. 

The rotation is the part that kills it for us tho. So many question marks. 

Wish there was a way to sign Harper this year and sell him on the future and then find a way to trade Rodon and stock up pieces for 2020, because once we get Kopech back, an extra year of the prospects, we are going to be looking mighty. 

Here is my updated thoughts, this will continue to evolve as the off season drums on.

Sign Harper for 330M AAV of 33M, with opt outs at 4-5-6 and front loaded to get the opt out after 4.
Sign Donaldson for 54M AAV of 18M, have him start at 3B and if need be in the future transition him to 1B/DH
Sign Kikuchi for 40M AAV of 10M, 

Trade Sanchez & Castillo to the Rockies for Jon Gray. Both Sanchez and Gray have three years of control Castillo has one with a reasonable option. This is a classic both teams dealing from depth trade.

Trade Matt Davidson & Nate Jones to the rockies for Raimel Tapia & Breiling Eusebio. Davidson has 4 years of control left and could be a cost effective monster in that park. Tapia appears to need a change of scenery and has 5 years of control.  Jones for a non ranked interesting arm seems to be the going rate.

Non-tender Avisail Garcia

DH - Palka* (PRE)
C - Narvaez* (PRE)
1B - Abreu (16M)
2B - Moncada# (PRE)
SS - Anderson (1.4M)
3B - Donaldson (18M)
LF - Jimenez (PRE)
CF - Tapia* (PRE)
RF - Harper (33M)

C - Zavala (PRE)
IF - Rondon (PRE)
UT - Garcia# (1.9M)
OF - Cordel (PRE)

SP - Rodon* (3.7M)
SP - Lopez (PRE)
SP - Giolito (PRE)
SP - Gray (3.2M)
SP - Kikuchi* (10M)

CL - Burdi (PRE)
SU - Fry* (PRE)
SU - Hamilton (PRE)
MR - Bummer* (PRE)
MR - Burr (PRE)
LO - Frare* (PRE)
LR - Ruiz (PRE)

Roughly 70.9M for the starting line up, 3.4M for the bench, 17.9M for the rotation and 3.5M for the pen for a total of  95.7M. 96.7M when you factor is Peavy's million.

for some context here is the sox recent total payrolls
18 - 71.8
17 - 86.3
16 - 129.7
15 - 118.8
14 - 89.2
13 - 111.7
12 - 108.9
11 - 130.6

Don't hate your plan beatox.  Don't think the Sox would go that long (or would need to go that long) on the Donaldson deal.  Also not sure the Rockies would have much interest in the Sox spare parts as you suggested, but definitely like the idea of targeting Jon Gray, and even Tapia.  

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Don't hate your plan beatox.  Don't think the Sox would go that long (or would need to go that long) on the Donaldson deal.  Also not sure the Rockies would have much interest in the Sox spare parts as you suggested, but definitely like the idea of targeting Jon Gray, and even Tapia.  

thanks, if Donaldson could come cheaper even better. Additionally id sign the likes of AJ Ellis and Drew Pomeranz to minor league deals with real money and invites to ST

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I've been huge on Raimel Tapia being a Sox target. Huge, massive upgrade in CF and he can't find time in Colorado. was a 70-80 ish prospect in the T100 a couple years ago. He could lead off too. 

Castillo or Narvaez, Jones and L. Garcia or Davidson for Gray, Tapia and Hoffman would be a good deal. Let Hoffman compete for a job in the rotation, and if he continues to suck, throw him in the bullpen as a long man or cut him loose. 

If the Sox really are after Harper then I think there is virtually no chance Avi is tendered. Their decision on him will be incredibly telling on what is actually going on. 

Edited by Jack Parkman