Your Offseason Plan

ChiSox59

Updated off-season plan based on the recent rumors that we plan on being big spenders this offseason.  These moves would significantly improve the major league club in the short-term without jeopardizing the future.  

And yes, I’m adding two controllable starters because you can never have enough starting pitching and I’m not completely wasting a Manny Machado year.  I would address any log-jams the following offseason.

Free Agents:

• Manny Machado, 3B - 10/$375M (opt-outs after years 4, 5, & 6)
  • Andrew McCutchen, OF - 2/$36M
  • Martin Maldonado, C - 1/$6M
  • Yusei Kikuchi, LHP - 6/$66M (including posting fee)
  • Cody Allen, RHP - 1/$11M

Trades:

• Omar Narvaez, C & Bernardo Flores, LHP for Jon Gray, RHP
  • Yolmer Sánchez, 2B to Yankees for Freicer Perez, RHP

Roster (May 1st):

1. Moncada, CF (0.6)
  2. McCutchen, RF (18.0)
  3. Machado, 3B (40.0)
  4. Abreu, 1B (16.0)
  5. Jimenez, LF (0.6)
  6. Palka, DH (0.6)
  7. Anderson, SA (1.4)
  8. Castillo, C (7.3)
  9. Rondon, 2B (0.6)

<Sub-Total: 85.1M>

• IF:  L. Garcia (1.9)
  • OF: Engel (0.6)
  • UT: Delmonico (0.6)
  • BC: Maldonado (6.0)

<Sub-total: 9.1M>

1. Gray (3.2)
  2. Rodon (3.7)
  3. Lopez (0.6)
  4. Kikuchi (11.0)
  5. Giolito (0.6)

<Sub-total: 19.1M>

• CL: Allen (11.0)
  • SU: Hamilton (0.6)
  • SU: Fry (0.6)
  • MR: Jones (4.7)
  • MR: Frare/Bummer (0.6)
  • MR: Burdi/Covey (0.6)
  • LR:  Banuelos/Stephens (0.6)

<Sub-total: 18.7M>

<Grand-total: $132.0M>

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Updated off-season plan based on the recent rumors that we plan on being big spenders this offseason.  These moves would significantly improve the major league club in the short-term without jeopardizing the future.  

And yes, I’m adding two controllable starters because you can never have enough starting pitching and I’m not completely wasting a Manny Machado year.  I would address any log-jams the following offseason.

Free Agents:

Trades:

Roster (May 1st):

1. Moncada, CF (0.6)
  2. McCutchen, RF (18.0)
  3. Machado, 3B (40.0)
  4. Abreu, 1B (16.0)
  5. Jimenez, LF (0.6)
  6. Palka, DH (0.6)
  7. Anderson, SA (1.4)
  8. Castillo, C (7.3)
  9. Rondon, 2B (0.6)

1. Gray (3.2)
  2. Rodon (3.7)
  3. Lopez (0.6)
  4. Kikuchi (11.0)
  5. Giolito (0.6)

Again, why are the Rockies just giving away Jon Gray???

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Free Agents:

Trades:

Roster (May 1st):

1. Moncada, CF (0.6)
  2. McCutchen, RF (18.0)
  3. Machado, 3B (40.0)
  4. Abreu, 1B (16.0)
  5. Jimenez, LF (0.6)
  6. Palka, DH (0.6)
  7. Anderson, SA (1.4)
  8. Castillo, C (7.3)
  9. Rondon, 2B (0.6)

1. Gray (3.2)
  2. Rodon (3.7)
  3. Lopez (0.6)
  4. Kikuchi (11.0)
  5. Giolito (0.6)

So this is all good stuff and I enjoy reading where your mind goes on envisioning the future.

Two reactions:

A.)  Before you “Proceed to Checkout”, the median payroll this year in baseball was $138M, so if yer going to take the payroll in this scenario all the way up to $132M, why not “Add to Cart” and maybe do some more shopping!

B.)  Love your commitment to Rondon throughout all of your offseason discussions, and for valid reasons.  I’m still a Leury guy myself, so in the short term while waiting for Madrigal to appear at the MLB level, I’d be tempted to return him to his more natural infield position and give him a crack there, if they were to move Moncada to CF.  

Edited by Fan O'Faust

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Again, why are the Rockies just giving away Jon Gray???

Well I disagree the Rockies are just giving him away.  Narvaez is worth something and the Rockies are desperate for a catcher & have little payroll flexibility.  I still believe there could be a match here.

The easiest and cheapest way to improve the offense is to sign a legit DH who will have a 850-900 OPS.

JD Martinez has averaged over 1 OPS the last three years. He signed a five year 110 million dollar deal. People are talking about signing Machado and/or Harper then leaving Palka at DH? Why?

We could fix the DH position which averaged .758 OPS last season for probably 1/10 the cost and have similar impact. Not to mention this team lacks any sort of starting rotation. Unless the signing of Machado and/or Harper indicate the Whitesox are also willing to spend big on the rest of the holes on the roster to Redsox levels they should continue the rebuild.

There are smarter ways to do this.

3 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

The easiest and cheapest way to improve the offense is to sign a legit DH who will have a 850-900 OPS.

JD Martinez has averaged over 1 OPS the last three years. He signed a five year 110 million dollar deal. People are talking about signing Machado and/or Harper then leaving Palka at DH? Why?

We could fix the DH position which averaged .758 OPS last season for probably 1/10 the cost and have similar impact. Not to mention this team lacks any sort of starting rotation. Unless the signing of Machado and/or Harper indicate the Whitesox are also willing to spend big on the rest of the holes on the roster to Redsox levels they should continue the rebuild.

Signing Harper or Machado isn't a 2019 move. It will improve the team in 2019 but they would do it for the whole 8-10 years or whatever. 

As far as the rotation sucking, I imagine the Sox will sign a vet and have Cease by July. It won't be playoff caliber but it will be a good mix of young studs, young guys you need to see and veteran stability (assuming they get someone like JA Happ or Gio Gonzalez as opposed Miguel Gonzalez type).

7 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

Oh I absolutely agree there are better ways to improve a team for Harper/Machado money.  But I think we are way ahead of ourselves if we think we're ready to address on-field needs of this team.  Honestly, we lost 100 games last year...I think we still have a foot on ground zero on this thing.  We're not looking to necessarily improve our team for a solid "run at it", we're looking to define it and shape the next decade of White Sox baseball "The Franchise."  We're looking for long-term pieces--building blocks--identity.  I think you go big and go out and get a face.  As much as I don't like him, I think of all the available pieces of the caliber we need to shape our franchise around, Harper is the guy.  I think there are better baseball players and better contracts to chase, but we need a cornerstone to build on instead of putting all the eggs into a prospect basket (Moncada/Eloy).  I think we  are all in on one of the big 2 and I honestly believe they we get one.  Not to jump-start the rebuild or to contend as early as 2019, but to start to put a face to this thing.  

Wacky wildcard three-way trade idea:

White Sox get: Nick Senzel
Reds get: Noah Syndergaard
Mets get: Yoan Moncada

Rationale:
If the Sox are truly ready to move Moncada off 2B and over to 3B, then the question from their perspective simply becomes who will be the better 3B all things considered for the long term: Moncada or Senzel? Moncada has tons of upside, no one is denying that, but as a 3B, I think Senzel is a better bet and a better fit.

The Reds are desperate for SP, and here they get a very good one who is signed for three more years. Senzel is essentially blocked for them anyway.

Who knows what to expect out of the Mets with their new out-of-left-field GM. Their whole philosophy/approach is unknown and unpredictable right now. They were known to at least test the waters of a SP trade midseason and could be looking to make a splash. The bloom is slightly off Moncada, but he's still a significant return they can plug in right way (at the position of their choosing).

There might be some other minor leaguers changing hands to even things out (maybe an extra prospect to the Mets), but those are the main players.

Never going to happen, I know, but what do you guys think? Flame away!

1 hour ago, Buehrlesque said:

Wacky wildcard three-way trade idea:

White Sox get: Nick Senzel
Reds get: Noah Syndergaard
Mets get: Yoan Moncada

Rationale:
If the Sox are truly ready to move Moncada off 2B and over to 3B, then the question from their perspective simply becomes who will be the better 3B all things considered for the long term: Moncada or Senzel? Moncada has tons of upside, no one is denying that, but as a 3B, I think Senzel is a better bet and a better fit.

The Reds are desperate for SP, and here they get a very good one who is signed for three more years. Senzel is essentially blocked for them anyway.

Who knows what to expect out of the Mets with their new out-of-left-field GM. Their whole philosophy/approach is unknown and unpredictable right now. They were known to at least test the waters of a SP trade midseason and could be looking to make a splash. The bloom is slightly off Moncada, but he's still a significant return they can plug in right way (at the position of their choosing).

There might be some other minor leaguers changing hands to even things out (maybe an extra prospect to the Mets), but those are the main players.

Never going to happen, I know, but what do you guys think? Flame away!

No one would trade Senzel for Moncada.. Senzel is the far better prospect now.

But I do like fun ideas/proposals

Edited by cjgalloway
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

No one would trade Senzel for Moncada.. Senzel is the far better prospect now.

But I do like fun ideas/proposals

Technically, from a Reds perspective. it would be Senzel for Syndergaard and from a Mets perspective, Syndergaard for Moncada. Breaking it out like that makes no sense for the Mets.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign 3B Manny Machado 10 years $350 million

Sign LF Michael Brantley 2 years $30 million

Sign SP Yusei Kikuchi 6 years $60 million (+ posting fee)

Sign SP Gio Gonzalez 2 years $25 million

Sign CL Cody Allen 2 years $20 million

Sign DH Nelson Cruz 2 years $30 million

Lineup:

01) LF Michael Brantley

02) 2B Yoan Moncada

03) 3B Manny Machado

04) DH Nelson Cruz

05) RF Eloy Jimenez

06) 1B Jose Abreu

07) SS Tim Anderson

08) C Omar Narvaez

09) CF Adam Engel

Bench: UTIL Jose Rondon UTIL Yolmer Sanchez C Welington Castillo

Rotation:

01) Carlos Rodon

02) Gio Gonzalez

03) Reynaldo Lopez

04) Yusei Kikuchi

05) Lucas Giolito

Bullpen:

01) CL Cody Allen

02) SU Ian Hamilton

03) SU Jace Fry

04) MR Nate Jones

05) MR Dylan Covey

06) MR Zack Burdi

07) MR Ryan Burr

08) LR Manny Bañuelos

Seems like a roster that could be competitive in the AL Central. Specifically because it's in the AL Central. Didn't sign any QOs and didn't commit more than 2 years to anyone over 30. Those are intended bridge players to the swarm of talent the team has in High A.

• Like 1

I like the idea of targeting Kyle Seagar as a distressed asset (2019: $19M, 2020: $19M, 2021: $18M 2022 Team Option: $15M) from the mariners if they're really going to sell off. Maybe something like Burger + Flores with cash coming back from the Mariners

28 minutes ago, beautox said:

I like the idea of targeting Kyle Seagar as a distressed asset (2019: $19M, 2020: $19M, 2021: $18M 2022 Team Option: $15M) from the mariners if they're really going to sell off. Maybe something like Burger + Flores with cash coming back from the Mariners

Ew. Kyle Seagar hasn't ever lived up to his potential. He never really grew from his first full year.  Hard pass.  

3 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

Ew. Kyle Seagar hasn't ever lived up to his potential. He never really grew from his first full year.  Hard pass.  

Huh? From 2012 to 2017 Kyle Seager was a borderline all-star or better every single year. He put up 25.6 fWAR over that span, good for the 3rd best of all 3B, and 13th for all hitters in baseball.

Seager has been awesome. He is now 31, so his ceiling may only be 3+ fWAR a season for the remainder of his contract, but if he can be had for cheap, especially with money coming back, I would be all over that. He's a lefty who can slug 25+ HR and doesn't strike out very much along with good defense at 3B.

I'm in.

I copied the template below from SouthSideSox's Offseason plan.

Offseason Plan

Introduction

My plan, because it's more fun, is to vastly accelerate the rebuild for 2019, in hopes that Kopech steps back in to a situation in 2020 where the team is ready to take the division. I'm going to be spending a ton of money. A ton. So the chances of this happening are slim, I grant you that. But without further adieu....here we gooooo.

Arbitration-eligible (with projected salaries from MLBTR😞

• José Abreu – $16 million - TENDER
  • Avisaíl García – $8 million - NONTENDER
  • Yolmer Sánchez – $4.7 million - TENDER
  • Carlos Rodón – $3.7 million - TENDER
  • Matt Davidson – $2.4 million - TENDER
  • Leury García – $1.9 million - TENDER

Impending Free Agents

• Miguel González (2018 salary: $4.75 million) - Cut loose
  • Hector Santiago (2018 salary: $2 million) - Cut loose

CURRENT PAYROLL GOING IN TO FREE AGENCY - $52M

Free agents

Using the list of free agents, tell us who you’d sign, keeping in mind our salary cap, and good, old-fashioned logic. Include your maximum offer (total years, total salary). Explain your choice at least briefly, even in the case of the most obvious, superstar signs.

There is no minimum or maximum number of free agent deals.

For illustrative purposes, here’s an idea that by no means you should implement:

Bryce Harper (11 yrs, $424 million, $38.5M AAV, Opt outs after years 5, 6, 7)

I don't really feel the need to explain this one. Sox need an absolute thumper in their line-up to pair with Eloy. Imagine the nightmare of these guys batting lefty and righty next to each other in the line-up. I would also welcome Machado, or certainly Arenado next year, but the idea of this bat coming from a lefty makes me tight in my White Sox male romper. Opt outs are a trend. Everyone wants opt outs. Fine, Bryce, take your stinkin opt-outs. But you aren't getting one until we get 5 years out of you, sir.  The Sox may not even be a playoff team for the first 2 years of that deal. Can't give an opt out any sooner than 5 years in my world with the possibility that this rebuild fails and we blew unbelievable amounts of cash to go no where and see him walk.

LHP Patrick Corbin (5 yrs, $115 million, $23M AAV)

I honestly did not have him originally in my plans until I saw a rumor suggesting that a White Sox source said he was #1 on their offseason target list. I'm choosing to bite completely on that rumor. A 29-year-old lefty than can be the Sox veteran anchor of the competitive window. The Sox have recently been extremely left-handed, with Sale, Q, Rodon, and Santiago all in the rotation at one point. But now, Rodon is the only lefty in the system for.....a while. Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, Cease, Dunning, Stephens, Hansen; all RHP. The next lefties anywhere on the future radar are Pilkington and Medeiros, but they are both likely ranked after all of those guys in the pecking order.

Corbin has completely blossomed as a starter and Arizona is a tough, TOUGH place to pitch. Nearly every single metric has trended positively for him over the last 3 years (GB% has gone backwards 3 years in a row, interestingly enough). I know the Yankees are suppose to have big interest in him, and he's publicly said it would be great to pitch for his childhood team, but I am going to assume the Yankees play in to that leverage and offer him a little less than his asking price, hoping they can get a discount for his childhood fantasies. 

RHP Garrett Richards (3 yrs, $27 million, $9M AAV, with a team option for $17M for 4th year with $3M buyout)

This would be a relatively low risk-high reward situation. Garrett Richards is can be a stud. He is recovering from Tommy John surgery (sup Kopech), but as we know, that's nothing to be afraid of anymore. For this reason, he will miss the entire 2019 season. So this signing would really be more like 2 yrs/$27M, with a team option. Drew Smyly got 2 yrs/$10M last season in the same situation, and he's not even close to the level that Richards is on. Richards gets $30M promised with this deal, with a chance at $44M over 4 years if he proves healthy and successful. 

RHP Trevor Cahill (2 yrs, $20 million, $10 AAV)

Cahill had one of his best seasons ever in 2018. But more importantly, he actually saw his velo tick back up, to the 2nd highest it has ever been. That's encouraging for an oft-injured 30 year old. He also uses his slider a lot more now, and gets a lot of groundballs leading to a very good HR rate last year. He is basically just a guy we would sign to give us some innings and then hopefully flip either next offseason or July of 2020. He is keeping the seat warm for Kopech and Richards return, or Dunning.

RP Adam Ottavino (3 yrs, $27 million, $9M AAV)

Ottavino found a couple years of decent success out of the Rockies bullpen in his late 20s. But it wasn't until he dove completely head first in to analytics and advanced technology that he saw a breakout year in 2018 at age 32. He turns 33 in a couple of weeks, so there is certainly some risk here, but the guy seems smart enough to adjust to what his arm is allowing him to do. His strikeout rate soared, and his HR rate plummeted. Get him out of Coors and let him set up Zack Burdi in the future.

CURRENT PAYROLL AFTER FREE AGENCY (using AAV) - $141.5M

Trades

White Sox acquire RP Shawn Armstrong from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for 1B Gavin Sheets and RF Ryan Cordell

The Mariners are tearing shit down. Unfortunately, the guys they likely to want to move don't fit my contention window for the Sox, or cost too much money. Shawn Armstrong, fits that window and doesn't cost much. Would the Mariners have any motivation to move Armstrong? Maybe not, but oh well I'm offering them prospects for a RP, just take it, Jerry. Why would the Mariners want Gavin Sheets when they have Evan White in AAA who plays 1B? I dunno guys, maybe they need a DH? Stop asking the tough questions. Swap out Sheets for Alex Call or Steele Walker or AJ Puckett or any other back-end top 25 guy. 

The point is that Shawn Armstrong has seen a slight tick up in velo since his short stint with the Mariners. He's throwing his plus curveball more, and his cutter more. He struck out 97 batters across 70 innings between AAA and Seattle (12.47 K/9) to go along with a 3.6 BB/9 and 1.67 ERA with only 4 HR allowed. He is still pre-arb, so the Sox would have him under control through 2022. He's 28 years old.

White Sox acquire 3B Nick Senzel from the Cincinnati Reds for SP Dylan Cease, SP Alec Hansen, and 3B Jake Burger

Oh boy is this one juicy! You like how I buried it after the Armstrong trade? I'm a sneaky b****. Nick Senzel is a fucking stud. He's an easy top 10 prospect in baseball, maybe top 5. This trade would be an effort to even out prospect needs. The Sox need someone who can play 3B in their org. The Reds desperately need pitching. We give them a stud pitching prospect in Dylan Cease who is exploding up the charts. But given that Cease is likely a top 25-40 pitcher on most lists, the Sox will have to sweeten the pot a bit more for Senzel who has never stopped hitting since he was a small child. What the Reds will get are 2 guys who could easily be mid to back-end top 100 guys, if not for injuries. They are rather risky prospects, for that reason, and ones the Sox should be willing to gamble away if a deal presents itself. 

Senzel is only on the table because the Reds currently have the revelation of Eugenio Suarez at 3B, and even Senzel's 2nd position, at 2B, is blocked by Scooter Gennett who has also bloomed. Senzel was then tried out at SS to help find him an unblocked path to the Reds, but even there they have Jose Peraza who had a very good 2018 season as well and is only 24 years old. This is all to just add to the fact that the Reds 2018 1st RD draft pick was 3B Jonathan India at #5 overall and is an advanced college bat. They also happen to take a SS with their 1st RD pick in 2017  in Jeter Downs. AND THEN they also have a prospect named Shed Long who is a top 100 prospect who plays 2B. The Reds are LOADED in the infield.  The Sox could honestly make a trade for Jonathan India and do it without losing Cease, but Senzel is lined up perfectly with this wave of prospects, whereas India might be more of a late 2020 debut guy if everything goes great for him.

White Sox acquire C Keibert Ruiz and SS Gavin Lux from the Los Angeles Dodgers for SP Carlos Rodon

I love Rodon. I really do. But he only has 3 years left with the Sox, and his shoulder issues scare me. This may be the right time to move him, before he has another injury and tanks all of his value. I would say even this trade may be a little lobsided in the Sox favor, if not for the fact that, like Senzel, Ruiz is so totally blocked in the Dodgers system. Yes he is their #2 prospect according to Fangraphs....but their #1 prospect is ALSO a catcher, Will Smith. And Smith is just about ready for the majors. But they also have Austin Barnes in the majors. So Ruiz is a 20-year old switch hitting catcher with amazing plate discipline at his age, and spending half of his 2018 season as a 19-year-old in AA. He struck out only 8% of the time in AA, and walked almost as much, to go along with 12 HR. Also considered an above average defender. 

Gavin Lux is a guy who myself and many others really really wanted in the 2016 draft with our 2nd pick at #26. The Dodgers ended up popping him at #20 instead. Lux spent his age 20 season in A+ and AA where he hit .324 with 15 HR, 13 SB, a walk rate of about 11% and a K% just under 17%. Another kid with great plate discipline, a bit of pop, but plays a premium position with 60 grade speed. Oh, and he bats lefty. Still love me some Gavin Lux. He is rated the Dodgers #8 prospect.

Summary

A lot of my moves are more for the year 2020 and beyond. Not too much for the 2019 season, as I would expect most of these plans to be laid out. But I also continued to stockpile high end prospects by adding Senzel and Ruiz to the mix. Senzel is an easy top 10 prospect. Ruiz could be a top 25-30 guy. I also spent a ton of money. I doubt the Sox add $90M in AAV, but I'm not the Sox, and I want to win.

2019 projected team

Line-up:

1) SS Tim Anderson

2) 3B Nick Senzel

3) RF Bryce Harper

4) 1B Jose Abreu

5) LF Eloy Jimenez

6) 2B Yoan Moncada

7) DH Daniel Palka/Matt Davidson

8.) C Wellington Castillo

9) CF Adam Engel

Bench: Omar Narvaez, Luery Garcia, Yolmer Sanchez

Rotation:

1) LHP Patrick Corbin

2) RHP Reynaldo Lopez

3) RHP Lucas Giolito

4) RHP Trevor Cahill

5) RHP Dylan Covey

Bullpen:  Nate Jones, Jace Fry, Ian Hamilton, Caleb Frare, Aaron Bummer, Shawn Armstrong, Adam Ottavino

Payroll - $137.8M

The next year, Covey gets kicked out or bumped to the 'pen, and Cahill gets traded as Richards and Kopech take their spots. Dunning possibly takes over for Giolito if he continues to struggle. Burdi takes over for Nate Jones if he can't stay healthy. Ruiz will hopefully be ready to take over the catching duties by then as well.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24
  • Like 2

Trading Hansen, Burger and Sheets when their values are at a nadir is the definition of going against buy low/sell high.

Conversely, we’re overvaluing Narvaez if we think the Rockies would even consider dealing him for Narvaez.   They’d ask for 2 of Burger/Hansen/Dunning and Narvaez to start out with.  If it was just one of those three prospects and Narvaez, it might still be too light.

ChiliIrishHammock24  - I have thought about acquiring Senzel as well, but why would they want a 3rd baseman in that trade. you said it yourself their infield is loaded. I would see if we could do something like Dunning, Rutherford and Basabe( or Adolfo) if we actually did sign Harper. But I don't know if they go for either one of those trades.

3 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

ChiliIrishHammock24  - I have thought about acquiring Senzel as well, but why would they want a 3rd baseman in that trade. you said it yourself their infield is loaded. I would see if we could do something like Dunning, Rutherford and Basabe( or Adolfo) if we actually did sign Harper. But I don't know if they go for either one of those trades.

I forgot to include my reasoning that Burger sets back their timeline for a 3B prospect. Senzel is going to be ready by 2019. Burger is looking at what, sometime in 2021? Maybe even 2022? Saurez will still be under contract, and India will likely be ready by then, so now you're looking at Burger taking over at 1B if they were to trade Votto in his late 30s. It's a fair point that they may have no use for Burger, but the main cog of that deal is certainly Cease, so you could swap Burger for someone like Adolfo or Luis Gonzalez and make it work as well.

Long time reader but first time poster. 

I believe we need to have a plan A, B and C and in sure we already do (I’m firmly in the in Hahn we trust group).

plan A

Sign Harper to a 10 year contract with multiple opt outs after the 5 year mark. (Opt out at four year mark if needed to get him). With the deal front loaded (something like 40mil,38,36,34,32,30,30,30,30,30)

Sign Keuchel to a 5 year front loaded deal. Key here with this deal is I think he will not regress as much as other starters due to his control/groundout style. I also think with Anderson and Madrigal in the double play positions we can now play a ground ball pitcher. The reason for it been front loaded is that if all our pitching prospects progress he will be easier to trade.

here is the bit that I expect people to hate but hear me out. Harper in year two plays first base. It will allow us to play better defence in the outfield with Adolfo’s arm or Rutherfords range. Harper used to be a catcher so has the hands for it. If we can’t extend Abreu it gives us a replacement and if we can’t it allows Abreu to move to DH as he regresses defensively. 

Plan B

sign players that start our winning mentality but could be flipable lead by Donaldson on a 1 year with a more expensive second year option (basically like a bigger version of Moose’s deal last year. I’d still want Keuchel in this scenario.

Plan C

stand pat and see what Stephens/Adams and can do and wait for Arenardo and Sale ideally.

Moncada. 2B

Eloy.           LF

Harper.      RF

Abreu.        1B

Palka        DH

Navaez.     C

Anderson. SS

Sanchez.  3B

Leury Garcia CF

Pitchers

Rodon

Lopez

Keuchel

????

Giolitto

Year 2

Moncada. 2B

Eloy.           LF

Harper.      1B

Arenardo.  3B

Abreu.        DH

Robert.       CF

Navaez.     C

Anderson.  SS

Adolfo.       RF

Pitchers

Rodon

Kopech

Keuchel

Cease

Alec Hansen

(I have faith in his stuff and hope he can fix his mechanical issues)

Madrigal comes up halfway through pushing Moncada into a super utility player, Rutherford will hopefully be the leagues best 4th outfielder. Depth would be unreal.

id also look to extend Eloy now, using the signing his brother good will to try and grab him for a further year or two.

some of above is not going to happen, which is why the need for a plan A,B and C.

i hope the Harper to 1B creates some debate. Thanks for reading (sorry it’s long)

Edited by Colinski
  • Like 1