Ozzie wants to manage again

southsider2k5

While I actually think Ozzie probably  has matured, and or learned a few lessons, I don’t think he would last long in today’s game.He has been out only 5 or 6 seasons, but analytics has taken over, and front offices run games a lot more these days. I can’t see Ozzie being fine running a game how his GM who probably never played professional baseball tells him.iIf everything was still old school, he would probably be fine for at least a couple of seasons.

I wonder if we took a poll how many on this board would love Ozzie as much as Greg. I won't give any examples why I love Ozzie and Sale both, as it probably would be considered trolling from those who don't know me. As I truly am a 100 percent fan of both.

That said, no way in hell can anybody hire Ozzie now as political correctness is even more of a big deal now than when he got in big trouble in Miami for expressing admiration for Castro or some such thing. Here's some of the wild bleep he's said ...

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2012/4/10/2938317/ozzie-guillen-castro-comments-marlins-suspension

36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

While I actually think Ozzie probably  has matured, and or learned a few lessons, I don’t think he would last long in today’s game.He has been out only 5 or 6 seasons, but analytics has taken over, and front offices run games a lot more these days. I can’t see Ozzie being fine running a game how his GM who probably never played professional baseball tells him.iIf everything was still old school, he would probably be fine for at least a couple of seasons.

This. Even if you forgive the guy, you can’t look at the past few WS winners and think that bringing Guillen back is going to lead to a victory. For better or for worse, the teams that consistently produce MLB talent are doing it by being fiercely committed to a consistent approach and philosophy at every level. And that philosophy is dictated from the top. 

I thank him for his time with the White Sox. I can't forgive him for literally quitting on the team complaining about the length of his contract and the money involved. Nagging his way out of a deal he signed. I wish him well as long as he is not back in the organization.

Sorry. He crossed a red line in my book and you can't forgive that. 

Look, I like Ozzie the character too. But managing the Sox again? People seriously want to hire a guy who literally quit on his team before finishing a season? Who has been out of managing or coaching this long, and is not likely to be able to make heads or tails of useful analytical data? And who preferred a team with speedy versatility dudes instead of Jim Thome?

Hard flippin pass.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Look, I like Ozzie the character too. But managing the Sox again? People seriously want to hire a guy who literally quit on his team before finishing a season? Who has been out of managing or coaching this long, and is not likely to be able to make heads or tails of useful analytical data? And who preferred a team with speedy versatility dudes instead of Jim Thome?

Hard flippin pass.

I think we all realize he won't ever return to the Sox cause of burnt bridges. Unfortunately for Ozzie, his ego (much bigger than most ballplayers even) and desire to entertain the writers/broadcasters with his outrageously funny (and offensive) press conferences that were inevitable in a long season when he spoke to media twice daily, were his ruination. He simply can't be hired by anybody cause of P.C. concerns. His past quotes will forever haunt him.

Ozzie seems like the kind of guy who would use some analytics, but go tell some analytics guys to go ... well you know what he'd tell them. Ozzie can't work for anybody obviously. He's unemployable. But Greg unequivocally loves Ozzer-oo. I truly do.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Ozzie seems like the kind of guy who would use some analytics, but go tell some analytics guys to go ... well you know what he'd tell them. Ozzie can't work for anybody obviously. He's unemployable. But Greg unequivocally loves Ozzer-oo. I truly do.

Any favorite Ozzie moments or quotes? I love when he would talk about the rats in wrigley field. 

40 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think we all realize he won't ever return to the Sox cause of burnt bridges. Unfortunately for Ozzie, his ego (much bigger than most ballplayers even) and desire to entertain the writers/broadcasters with his outrageously funny (and offensive) press conferences that were inevitable in a long season when he spoke to media twice daily, were his ruination. He simply can't be hired by anybody cause of P.C. concerns. His past quotes will forever haunt him.

As usual,  you are the only one worried about his "pc concerns", while everyone else worries about important things like his managerial style and quitting on the franchise. 

• Like 1