Ozzie wants to manage again

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

But he was funny

The quitting on the franchise never bothered me because in my opinion the divorce was happening and Jerry and Co. were glad he made the decision for them. Ozzie was a runaway train by then and it was apparent he was the loser in the Kenny/Ozzie battle for Jerry's approval. Kenny had won and Ozzie was just completing the saga and leaving on his own before he could get fired. I know there was talk Jerry wouldn't fire him, but it was to the point Ozzie had to go and so he left. You guys who get mad about him quitting on the team? How would you have preferred the scenario to run its course? Just wait a week and then quit or get fired? His managerial style? What was wrong with that. His failure to panic and leave his starters in was pivotal that postseason. Four straight complete games in the ALCS!!! Why doesn't he get credit for that? He stood by his players; he took the spotlight off them with his colorful press conferences. So Quinarvy, my PC points are pivotal. The PC stuff is why he's out of baseball. I can't believe you don't think that's important. I linked a whole article for gosh sakes.

35 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The quitting on the franchise never bothered me because in my opinion the divorce was happening and Jerry and Co. were glad he made the decision for them. Ozzie was a runaway train by then and it was apparent he was the loser in the Kenny/Ozzie battle for Jerry's approval. Kenny had won and Ozzie was just completing the saga and leaving on his own before he could get fired. I know there was talk Jerry wouldn't fire him, but it was to the point Ozzie had to go and so he left. You guys who get mad about him quitting on the team? How would you have preferred the scenario to run its course? Just wait a week and then quit or get fired? His managerial style? What was wrong with that. His failure to panic and leave his starters in was pivotal that postseason. Four straight complete games in the ALCS!!! Why doesn't he get credit for that? He stood by his players; he took the spotlight off them with his colorful press conferences. So Quinarvy, my PC points are pivotal. The PC stuff is why he's out of baseball. I can't believe you don't think that's important. I linked a whole article for gosh sakes.

Ozzie signed a deal, he signed it. Nobody put a gun to his head and it was the TIMING of his outburst right before that faithful Detroit series, at home, I believe in August 2011. The very last shot for the Sox to get back into it and he shoots his mouth off in the dugout before the first game to the media saying how "without a contract extension and more money" he didn't know if he would / could come back.

WTF?

You think JR didn't blow a gasket over that one? Remember earlier I think it was in 2010, when the Sox were in Washington, JR held a rare press conference in D.C, where he said he called both men into his office and told them to "tone the stuff down" (paraphrasing) yes he obviously sided with KW but he also was trying to have the organization at least not look like a bunch of first graders.

I thank Ozzie for a great job early in his career but what he did is unforgivable, period, to me.  And let's not forget that he started to believe his press clippings about how much of a "genius" he was. He's a smart guy but let's not confuse him with Al Lopez, Tony LaRussa, Bobby Cox or Walter Alston shall we?

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

What an absolutely terrible post.  You should be banned from this site for this bullshit.  Ozzie actively chose himself over his players when the team was battling for a playoff spot.  We were heading to Detroit and needed to take care business and he decided that was the time to start whining about his contract.  He’s a selfish motherfucker who will always place self over others.  I would be enraged if the White Sox ever gave this ego maniac and the clown show of a family that comes with him a second chance. 

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What an absolutely terrible post.  You should be banned from this site for this bullshit.  Ozzie actively chose himself over his players when the team was battling for a playoff spot.  We were heading to Detroit and needed to take care business and he decided that was the time to start whining about his contract.  He’s a selfish motherfucker who will always place self over others.  I would be enraged if the White Sox ever gave this ego maniac and the clown show of a family that comes with him a second chance. 

Why would I be banned for having an opinion? Yes as hard as it is to believe I am not appalled by the end of the Ozzie era in Chicago. I think it was inevitable. They'll never re-hire him as manager so I don't know why we get worked up over people's opinions of his legacy. I think of him as a WS manager who deserves credit for leaving his starters in all those playoff games and not overmanaging. He won't ever manage again so what's the big deal? Managers are hired to be fired anyway. He wasn't going to be on a lifetime contract with the Sox with his ego and lack of PC. Personally my biggest beef with him was his "Sunday lineups" which seems silly that I'd care about that now considering how bad the team has been under Robin/RR.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2018 at 4:45 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

File this one under Overkill.

Look at the teams that are winning in 2018, how they are run and managed, and then think of Ozzie's managerial style - how's that gonna work? Everyone else is playing optimizing matchups and percentages, Ozzie is gonna bat Eloy Jimenez 2nd and have him bunt or some shit.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:45 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

This is exactly what I meant when I said Ozzie burned the bridge and pissed on the ashes. Bravo. When I said I'd like Ozzie back, I meant that I'd like a manager with his qualities, not necessarily him. And for god sakes no bunting. It is probably a ridiculous take, but bunting is almost always a borderline fireable offense. You don't give away outs under the overwhelming majority of circumstances.  

Edited by Jack Parkman