Sox Exercise Jones Option @ $4.65M; Buyout Shields

ChiSox59

Sox also added Kopech back to 40 man, which now sits at 34. 

Only super easy fat left to trim is Tilson and Gomez.  Guys that may be on chopping block but harder decisions: Leury, Avi, Delmonico, Cordell, Minaya, Clarkin and Covey.

By my count the 34 does not include Gonzalez or Santiago, both FA.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Sox also added Kopech back to 40 man, which now sits at 34. 

Only super easy fat left to trim is Tilson.  Guys that may be on chopping block but harder decisions: Leury, Avi, Delmonico, Cordell, Minaya, Clarkin and Covey.

By my count the 34 does not include Gonzalez or Santiago, both FA.  

No one is putting Clarkin on their 40 man, so he should be an easy guy to outright.  We’ll definitely have to get rid one of our outfielders at some point and Tilson is probably the most obvious candidate to your point.

Kind of surprised by Jones.  Hopefully that means they saw something in him at the end of the year to make them think he is healthy.  If he can be our closer next year, his contract would make him really valuable as a trade piece, or even a piece of the pen moving forward through 21.

Would not pay Jones. Would take $2M to retire and take my chances.  If they think Jones will stay healthy then I question their judgment. He might give you two decent months. 

Any thoughts on the future career of Chris Sale who seems to be at a crossroads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Would not pay Jones. Would take $2M to retire and take my chances.  If they think Jones will stay healthy then I question their judgment. He might give you two decent months. 

Any thoughts on the future career of Chris Sale who seems to be at a crossroads. 

I think he is their #1 starter next year. I would guess there will be a plan developed as to how to strengthen his arm for the off-season and in-season for next year. 

18 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Shields will be back. 

I thought so too, but really, I think the Sox would rather erase as many memories and pieces from that dreadful 2013-2016 stretch as possible. Shields, while he may not be a bad choice to eat up innings, is also Hahn's worst deal in his career as Sox GM. I also think that they would be better served for the interest of the fans to go find someone else to take the ball every 5th day.

18 hours ago, pcq said:

When he is out injured the Sox aren't paying his contract. Insurance is in most cases. So the cost isn't a factor as he is worth 4.65 million when healthy.

RE: Shields

Hated every second this guy was on the team. Didn’t like him as a player before he got here, didn’t like that we were pursuing him, didn’t like the trade to get him, and then he just blew every start he made while we were in contention. 

I know he was trying, but I don’t care that he managed to turn back into a 4.60 ERA back end starter when it didn’t matter. 

RE: Jones

As disappointing as his health has been, there’s no point in bailing on the gamble they already made on his extension. It isn’t unlikely at all that he (or any reliever) can put together 40 healthy innings over a few months and make the whole thing worth it as trade bait

Edited by Eminor3rd
There, fixed

On 10/30/2018 at 8:34 AM, Eminor3rd said:

RE: Shields

Hated every second this guy was on the team. Didn’t like him as a player before he got here, didn’t like that we were pursuing him, didn’t like the trade to get him, and then he just blew every start he made while we were in contention. 

I know he was trying, but I don’t care that he managed to turn back into a 4.60 ERA back end starter when it didn’t matter. 

RE: Jones

As disappointing as his health has been, there’s no point in bailing on the gamble they already made on his extension. It isn’t unlikely at all that he (or any reliever) can put together 40 healthy innings over a few months and make the whole thing worth it as trade bait

GMs see this as well.