White Sox Hiring for Analytics Department

Chicago White Sox

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ha, there was only one direction this thread was going to go.  One good post to start, and then mostly people making up what they think they know here.

Yep. White Sox accountants come out of the woodwork again. 

FWIW, szymborksi mentioned recently that the White Sox heavily outsource their quantitative analysis. So maybe we should remember that we don’t know anything. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yep. White Sox accountants come out of the woodwork again. 

FWIW, szymborksi mentioned recently that the White Sox heavily outsource their quantitative analysis. So maybe we should remember that we don’t know anything. 

Accountants don't typically have the quant background and almost certainly don't have the programming background necessary for these postings.

4 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Accountants don't typically have the quant background and almost certainly don't have the programming background necessary for these postings.

I was referring to our posters here as the accountants. Sorry, forgot green. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't care what they pay, this would be my dream job. I don't know the computer languages they want, as my background is not in software engineering. It should have been though. I do have an engineering degree and I know how to write code in a language or two but not much more than that. I got called by the Sox marketing dept. last winter and I told them that autistic baseball fans with a strong math/tech background would make the best analytics people because we can do this stuff for hours and will never get bored with it. Sigh. I have zero doubt I could write code well enough to do this job with enough practice. I don't have this skill right now though, and I doubt they'd give me a shot. 

EDIT: I have everything in the required section for the internship except knowing SQL. I could learn it. Dammit. 

I don't know R and Python either but MATLAB is one of the two languages I know, along with C++. 

What do you guys think, will that be enough? 

You might want to get rid of the "fire Renteria and Steverson Now" mantra at the bottom of your posts first lol

On 10/31/2018 at 10:39 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I don't care what they pay, this would be my dream job. I don't know the computer languages they want, as my background is not in software engineering. It should have been though. I do have an engineering degree and I know how to write code in a language or two but not much more than that. I got called by the Sox marketing dept. last winter and I told them that autistic baseball fans with a strong math/tech background would make the best analytics people because we can do this stuff for hours and will never get bored with it. Sigh. I have zero doubt I could write code well enough to do this job with enough practice. I don't have this skill right now though, and I doubt they'd give me a shot. 

EDIT: I have everything in the required section for the internship except knowing SQL. I could learn it. Dammit. 

I don't know R and Python either but MATLAB is one of the two languages I know, along with C++. 

What do you guys think, will that be enough? 

SQL servers pretty simple.  You can learn it in a weeks time.  

On 10/31/2018 at 8:21 PM, whitesoxbrad said:

Are you kidding me this is a total embarrassment, they are worth over 1 billion dollars, I would rather not know about this, what do we have as Sox fans to be proud of, nothing.

Fangraphs always post links to job postings from every club and scouting/analytics service on their site because their readers are usually the type of people who are qualified/interested in these kind of jobs.

Delete your account

• Love 2

13 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Fangraphs always post links to job postings from every club and scouting/analytics service on their site because their readers are usually the type of people who are qualified/interested in these kind of jobs.

Delete your account

13 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Delete your account

You delete your account

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 10:28 AM, Dam8610 said:

Be sure to check your biases against certain Cuban slugging 1Bs at the door.

I don't let bias or emotion get in the way of my views, opposite of what many people do here with Jose. My objectivity is probably a plus in this profession.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I believe he is referring to the profession of baseball analytics, which is, in fact, a profession. That said, the fact the he can't recognize his own biases is almost certain to be a negative in that profession.

That I understand, but he referred to it in a way that implies that it is his profession, which is a funny thing to think about

I had to do a programming project for a job I was applying for today. You know, it really helps if you know the language and the commands that are involved with that language. If you don't know those things, you have no chance. That's what I ran into. After attempting this project, I'm going to have to wait until the next time they have an opening here, because I just don't know as much as I thought I did. Some languages have structure and commands that you absolutely have to know immediately, otherwise you can't do the job. I learned that lesson the hard way. I have learned that if they list a group of languages, you have to know the ins and outs immediately, otherwise you're just not qualified. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 10/31/2018 at 11:02 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I find that surprising because I am pretty math oriented and I don't really do stuff on gut. Prior to the ASB this year, I used to always research everything on fangraphs before making a post, though I do admit I got a little lax on that this year after the point mentioned. 

I got more comfortable in my own skin over the last 18 months or so, and I gradually haven't been as calculated as I used to be prior to August of this year. I posted a lot on pure emotion/frustration over the last 2-3 months, and I have reminded myself why I shouldn't do that. I'm disappointed that my reputation here has declined so dramatically after posting here for a decade and 3 months of frustration put it all in the tank. I got frustrated, I don't know a lot of Sox fans and I wanted to vent about a couple of my favorite sports teams. None of it was rational, none of it was well thought out, and I really regret doing that. I'm planning to be a lot more calculated and do my research again, rather than trusting my own recollection of information I'm not 100% sure about. Post less, think and analyze more. 

Jack...you are ALREADY more qualified than Robin Ventura was when they hired him as manager.  I'd say apply.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 3:33 PM, Jose Abreu said:

That I understand, but he referred to it in a way that implies that it is his profession, which is a funny thing to think about

You just read it incorrectly. Saying "this profession" doesn't imply that it is mine. However, that's not to say I can't make it mine. 

Edited by Hot FiRe

On 11/2/2018 at 9:29 AM, bmags said:

If anyone wants a fun data set with some online courses to learn python, this is a fun free set that statcast provided. 

You really don't need formal training to learn python/R, you just need time and good data sets to practice on that you are interested in.

https://www.datacamp.com/projects/250

I’m in a data science program and I will say that having knowledge of SQL, R, Python, statistics and the data mining process will help get a leg up on the competition. Rarely is someone good at everything and it takes a team to come up with insights from the data.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:52 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I had to do a programming project for a job I was applying for today. You know, it really helps if you know the language and the commands that are involved with that language. If you don't know those things, you have no chance. That's what I ran into. After attempting this project, I'm going to have to wait until the next time they have an opening here, because I just don't know as much as I thought I did. Some languages have structure and commands that you absolutely have to know immediately, otherwise you can't do the job. I learned that lesson the hard way. I have learned that if they list a group of languages, you have to know the ins and outs immediately, otherwise you're just not qualified. 

If you want to work there do some stuff to demonstrate your work. It is not exactly about which language you use (although sometimes it is important to use the teams preferred language) but how you can apply that. Put out some analysis out there fo example at the fangraphs community section. Maybe even code a prototype database. Or do other stuff that shows your technical skill in a baseball background.

Also it dpends what you want. Do you want to do the technical stuff? Or more interpreting the data? I for example know some sql but I'm not good enough to create a database. But I would like to work in a couple years in player development as one of those data driven coaches. To reach that goal I'm doing some analysis, work with kids and now have also started to work with a couple kids online. Not sure if I ever reach that goal but it is something I care a lot for. You have to enjoy doing that stuff and not just wanting to work in baseball.