FA pitchers the Sox could target

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Rodon, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Cease. Which one is not in the rotation in 2020? Which one should we block with a guy on a 2 year deal? That doesn't count any of the other guys at Charlotte or perhaps Dunning staying healthy either. Unless Rodon is traded, every one of those 5 should have a slot open for them in the 2020 opening day rotation and they should not be blocked until something catastrophic happens or we give up on Giolito completely, which you clearly don't believe will happen based on the previous post where you assumed he would be a lot better.

3b? OF? Bring it on, but with one caveat - in 2021 our outfield is going to be F***ING OVERLOADED, because we have 4 outfielders who should be at AA this year who will be arriving then. So yeah, give me an outfield upgrade,  but let me know where those guys are going to play 2 years from now, because if none of them make it then this won't matter anyway because all of our talent imploded.

I think looking at the rebuild as trying to plug all the guys into the lineup 3 years from now is a mistake.  You sign Harper or any other good players you can.  

Say we sign Harper.  Think of all the packages of outfield talent we could trade the next few years to fill in gaps at other positions.  

Where’s Madrigal going to play?  Who cares!  If he turns out to be a guy forcing his way up trade his ass for somebody else doing the same thing at a position we need.  

At this point, I feel like pitching is now an easier commodity to pick up than good starting positional players.  I hope that the Sox continue to draft positional players with their picks and then, when the time comes to compete, and if necessary, explore the FA and trade market for pitching.  Cubs did it with Lester, Hamels, Quintana, etc..  Good positional players on the other hand are not as easy to come by.  

Unrelated note:  If Giolito has another 5+ ERA year, I don't think it's going to be "too early to say" he's not a starting pitcher worth holding on to.  I feel like that right now, although I know others feel differently.  Therefore, I don't think we should be opposed to keeping an eye on FA Market for 2020 rotation.

19 minutes ago, Special K said:

Unrelated note:  If Giolito has another 5+ ERA year, I don't think it's going to be "too early to say" he's not a starting pitcher worth holding on to.  I feel like that right now, although I know others feel differently.  Therefore, I don't think we should be opposed to keeping an eye on FA Market for 2020 rotation.

At this point, it is far too early to write off Giolito.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah because never before has a super naturally talented pitcher failed to master major league pitching before the age of 25.  

Giolito has a big asterisk, which is that his stuff has drastically diminished over the last several years. 

It’s definitely took early to write him off. But I don’t know if it’s FAR too early. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

43 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah because never before has a super naturally talented pitcher failed to master major league pitching before the age of 25.  

If he has 1 more full season of 5+ ERA, it's not likely he's going to be anything other than a very average to below average starting pitcher, at best.  I do NOT want that to happen.  I hope he is good.  I'm just talking reality here.  

Let's assume he has another 5+ ERA year, he will then have approximately 60 games started under his belt with an ERA well above 5.  Without actually looking it up, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess there aren't too many major league pitchers as of recent (say, last 10-15 years) who had an ERA above 5 after their first 60 games started in the league and then went on to be above average (which is all I'm hoping he will be).  There may be a couple outliers, but I would guess the VAST majority of major league pitchers over the last 10-15 years to start their career off like that, went on to have average to terrible careers as a starting pitcher.  I do hope I'm wrong though.  

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

If he has 1 more full season of 5+ ERA, it's not likely he's going to be anything other than a very average to below average starting pitcher, at best.  I do NOT want that to happen.  I hope he is good.  I'm just talking reality here.  

Let's assume he has another 5+ ERA year, he will then have approximately 60 games started under his belt with an ERA well above 5.  Without actually looking it up, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess there aren't too many major league pitchers as of recent (say, last 10-15 years) who had an ERA above 5 after their first 60 games started in the league and then went on to be above average (which is all I'm hoping he will be).  There may be a couple outliers, but I would guess the VAST majority of major league pitchers over the last 10-15 years to start their career off like that, went on to have average to terrible careers as a starting pitcher.  I do hope I'm wrong though.  

We need to see more of August Giolito, both stuff wise and control wise, otherwise he's toast. That junque he was throwing up there vs. Boston was disgusting. If August didn't happen, I'd be giving him about 1/2 season before writing him off.  As of right now he's on a season to season thing. I have to see more of both the stuff and control from August or it is move on time. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

As long as he has clean medicals I say take a chance on Yuseu Kikuchi from Japan. Could be a relatively low investment with high potential. If not him I'd probably just take a chance on a guy like Pomeranz or Garret Richards. 

You do know that Richards isn't pitching in 2019, right?