Sox acquire LHP Manny Bañuelos for Justin Yurchak

Sleepy Harold

Even though he reminds me of a lefty-hitting Rangel Ravelo I would have hung on to Yurchak for at least another year.  Bet he probably hits somewhere between GF last year and Kanny this season which wouldn’t be terrible.  Too bad he couldn’t stick at 3rd.  

Edited by Dizzy Sox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

He had pretty good peripherals in AAA last year. I'd rather give him starts than Dylan Covey

Really ?He'll be 28 when the season starts and hasn t pitched in the majors since 2015 .  Covey had a handful of starts where he actually looked good in 2018.

Not that it really matters . I suppose we could use another lefty in the rotation  . Dodgers savvy to get rid of someone they weren't going to protect in the rule 5 for a 22 yr old who has a few years to discover if he's any good. They basically got something for a guy they were probably going to lose anyway.

Well I was asking for more AAA talent so we got that. Just was hoping they'd be a little younger. Seems like the Sox should be the ones giving up 27 yr olds for 22-24 yr olds.

39 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Really ?He'll be 28 when the season starts and hasn t pitched in the majors since 2015 .  Covey had a handful of starts where he actually looked good in 2018.

Not that it really matters . I suppose we could use another lefty in the rotation  . Dodgers savvy to get rid of someone they weren't going to protect in the rule 5 for a 22 yr old who has a few years to discover if he's any good. They basically got something for a guy they were probably going to lose anyway.

Well I was asking for more AAA talent so we got that. Just was hoping they'd be a little younger. Seems like the Sox should be the ones giving up 27 yr olds for 22-24 yr olds.

Did you read the article I posted?  His velocity just recently returned (back up to 94 MPH now) after years of elbow problems.  A lefty with his kind of stuff is very interesting to me, especially one coming off a pretty damn good season in the PCL.  I think he’s a guy worth rolling the dice on, especially at the cost of a one dimensional 1B prospect.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Did you read the article I posted?  His velocity just recently returned (back up to 94 MPH now) after years of elbow problems.  A lefty with his kind of stuff is very interesting to me, especially one coming off a pretty damn good season in the PCL.  I think he’s a guy worth rolling the dice on, especially at the cost of a one dimensional 1B prospect.

I wasn't doubting he has talent but doesn't Covey also throw that hard ? Don't care much about Yurchak. I still think the Dodgers got something for nothing (to them). It's just if I had to pick whether Covey or Banuelos will end up being a starter in MLB I'd bet on Covey since he's been there done that and is slightly younger . I doubt either one stays in the rotation for 2+ years but Banuelos is another arm to add to the mix and a lefty to boot but just like Covey it's getting to the point of no return for him. They both will likely gets starts this year barring injury and that;s another place here I give the Covey the advantage. Banuelos has had arm injuries whereas Covey's recent injuries have been groin and obliques.

21 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Trade a prospect for an org minor leaguer?

That's one way to look at it or you might try this. The Dodgers are so loaded with talent that they couldn't put a 27 yr old with an injury history but a recent return to health and showing decent velocity on their 40 man roster in order to protect him from the Rule 5 draft . The Sox gave up a 22yr old A ball 1st baseman for a good AAA pitcher who once was highly rated but will be in his age 28 season when the season starts but pitching pain free for the 1st time in a while who also happens to be left handed which the Sox need in the rotation. Rather than take the risk someone took him in the Rule 5 ahead of them they traded a young guy who wasn't even in their Top 50 prospects who was a 12th round pick.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's one way to look at it or you might try this. The Dodgers are so loaded with talent that they couldn't put a 27 yr old with an injury history but a recent return to health and showing decent velocity on their 40 man roster in order to protect him from the Rule 5 draft . The Sox gave up a 22yr old A ball 1st baseman for a good AAA pitcher who once was highly rated but will be in his age 28 season when the season starts but pitching pain free for the 1st time in a while who also happens to be left handed which the Sox need in the rotation. Rather than take the risk someone took him in the Rule 5 ahead of them they traded a young guy who wasn't even in their Top 50 prospects and a 12th round pick.

I like your assessment better.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I like your assessment better.

I think it was a mutually beneficial trade that likely yields no decent results for either side. Just didn't understand why you 'd rather give him a chance over Covey. I think they both get a chance because that's the business the Sox are in right now Search every " warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse ". just like in The Fugitive.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m interested in hearing how they plan on using Banuelos.  Is he just a depth piece for the rotation or someone they believe can challenge for a major league role out of camp?  My guess is they view him as Santiago’s replacement and he’d be a much more interesting option than Hector.

This is my guess.

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m interested in hearing how they plan on using Banuelos.  Is he just a depth piece for the rotation or someone they believe can challenge for a major league role out of camp?  My guess is they view him as Santiago’s replacement and he’d be a much more interesting option than Hector.

I am thinking a depth rotation piece.  The Sox are pretty loaded with young MLB lefthanded relievers in Fry, Bummer and Frare, so I'd be surprised if they're looking at Banuelos as a bullpen piece.  

• Like 1