Sox acquire LHP Manny Bañuelos for Justin Yurchak

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m interested in hearing how they plan on using Banuelos.  Is he just a depth piece for the rotation or someone they believe can challenge for a major league role out of camp?  My guess is they view him as Santiago’s replacement and he’d be a much more interesting option than Hector.

I would tend to guess Charlotte with a chance at being a Santiago role, all though again worth pointing out, he did get put on the 40 man roster, so they plan on him being relevant in 2018.

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't make bets with frauds.  

No bet was ever agreed upon. I made a proposition. We didn't agree to terms or anything (ban length, specifics of the bet). You're acting like I went back on an agreed upon bet. That is not the case. I backed out before it was finalized. 

It's ok though. I know I would win this one.

10 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

No bet was ever agreed upon. I made a proposition. We didn't agree to terms or anything (ban length, specifics of the bet). You're acting like I went back on an agreed upon bet. That is not the case. I backed out before it was finalized. 

It's ok though. I know I would win this one.

What do you know you would win?  That the Sox think of Banuelos as a bullpen piece and not a depth rotation piece?  Isn't that fairly ambiguous and have a lot to do with how the season goes?  Seems like a terrible bet.  Obviously I hope the Sox set their sights higher than using Banuelos as a starter in the bigs, but I also think he's at best 4th in line as LH reliever, so don't see a fit there really unless one of Fry, Frare or Bummer gets hut.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What do you know you would win?  That the Sox think of Banuelos as a bullpen piece and not a depth rotation piece?  Isn't that fairly ambiguous and have a lot to do with how the season goes?  Seems like a terrible bet.  Obviously I hope the Sox set their sights higher than using Banuelos as a starter in the bigs, but I also think he's at best 4th in line as LH reliever, so don't see a fit there really unless one of Fry, Frare or Bummer gets hut.  

Yeah, there is a near zero chance he is a pen guy, except maybe as a long man.  He is probably starting somewhere, either in Charlotte or Chicago.  Realistically, there is no need for him as a short reliever with the pen depth we have as it stands now.

4 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Does anybody else find P noles insufferable? Said he was coming out with a 2,000 word article about how yurchak is better than banuelos. The guy just doesn't stop

He's awful.  Very difficult to follow.  The ultimate fear monger.  

23 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

Does anybody else find P noles insufferable? Said he was coming out with a 2,000 word article about how yurchak is better than banuelos. The guy just doesn't stop

Pretty sure it was a joke but he has indeed been unbearably pessimistic and unnecessarily critical of every single thing the Sox do lately.

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Pretty sure it was a joke but he has indeed been unbearably pessimistic and unnecessarily critical of every single thing the Sox do lately.

I've slowly grown to detest his contributions to Sox Machine. Josh Nelson is borderline. Kinda wish it was still just Jim who is, and always has been excellent.

Edited by DirtySox

I have no problem with moves like this. I think they are good ways to try and get some potential talent without spending big bucks. The Sox seem to be trying to stock up on pitchers especially who have been taken by other teams as top picks or have shown promise. I know some shy away from players with injury history, but Tommy John surgery is not the career ending issue it may have been  in the past 

Edited by elrockinMT

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Everything I see seems to take the worst possible outcome of every possible item.  Just seems like a waste of being a fan if you are pissed off about everything all of the time.

5 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

How is a light hitting left handed first basement with an OPS of under 650 in low A a prospect?  Yurchak is not good.

.348 OBP in an OBP starved organization. .674 OPS.  Raked in Rookie Ball. Out hit Steele Walker.

How is Banuelos anything other than an org minor leaguer?  His Ks are good, but the WHIP is not, and he's been in the minors for 9 years.
He's stockpiling AAAA talent.

Edited by GreenSox

3 hours ago, whitesoxwinner said:

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He's awful.  Very difficult to follow.  The ultimate fear monger.  

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

He was clearly joking.

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

.348 OBP in an OBP starved organization. .674 OPS.  Raked in Rookie Ball. Out hit Steele Walker.

1. Never rely on stats from the PIO for a college player. Aaron Schnurbusch says hello.

2. You are not seriously comparing Yurchak's full season to the NINE GAMES Walker spent in Great Falls, while recovering from injury, are you?

3. He's a first baseman with an empty OBP - no power. While playing as a 22 year old in A-ball. He's a super-fringe to non-prospect.

20 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

1. Never rely on stats from the PIO for a college player. Aaron Schnurbusch says hello.

2. You are not seriously comparing Yurchak's full season to the NINE GAMES Walker spent in Great Falls, while recovering from injury, are you?

3. He's a first baseman with an empty OBP - no power. While playing as a 22 year old in A-ball. He's a super-fringe to non-prospect.

All of this.  Not to mention you are compared a CF to a guy who already regulated to 1B in the lowest levels of the minors, versus a CF.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

How is Banuelos anything other than an org minor leaguer?  His Ks are good, but the WHIP is not, and he's been in the minors for 9 years.
He's stockpiling AAAA talent.

Steele Walker was coming off an injury and actually provides utility with the glove.  That’s a poor comparison IMO.

As for Banuelos, there are reasons for optimism with him.  Former top prospect with returning velocity and coming off a stellar year in a notorious hitter’s league.  Odds are he will amount to filler, but I’d rather roll the dice on him than a 22 year old 1B only type coming off a sub .700 OPS in low A.

And I thought you were a fan Javy Guerra?  Somewhat comparable move IMO.

3 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Obviously Walker, a 2nd round draft choice from last year, has far more value. I used the comparison to dispute the idea that  Yurchak has zero value.
Did Banuelos really have more value than Kevin Smith?

16 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Steele Walker was coming off an injury and actually provides utility with the glove.  That’s a poor comparison IMO.

As for Banuelos, there are reasons for optimism with him.  Former top prospect with returning velocity and coming off a stellar year in a notorious hitter’s league.  Odds are he will amount to filler, but I’d rather roll the dice on him than a 22 year old 1B only type coming off a sub .700 OPS in low A.

And I thought you were a fan Javy Guerra?  Somewhat comparable move IMO.

Yes, but you see, the Sox got rid of Javy Guerra, they didn't acquire him.

21 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I get it man, don't want to make a bet you will lose. I don't need your justification for it. It's all good. I wouldn't want to bet with me either.