Sox acquire LHP Manny Bañuelos for Justin Yurchak

Sleepy Harold

36 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I get it man, don't want to make a bet you will lose. I don't need your justification for it. It's all good. I wouldn't want to bet with me either.

Lol, what bet are you even trying to make? That Banuelos will be a reliever? 

On 11/2/2018 at 2:37 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I wouldn't really call Yurchak a prospect. Maybe a fringe guy.

I agree. Yurchak has a  good k-bb rate but zero power plus he is a ground ball machine. Now the dodgers coaches unlike the sox coaches can fix the latter but even with a swing change the raw power is below average. 

A first baseman who might hit 15 bombs with decent obp is not sought after in mlb.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I agree. Yurchak has a  good k-bb rate but zero power plus he is a ground ball machine. Now the dodgers coaches unlike the sox coaches can fix the latter but even with a swing change the raw power is below average. 

A first baseman who might hit 15 bombs with decent obp is not sought after in mlb.

Yup, this isn’t the case of Gavin Sheets with 70 grade raw power.  Swing changes alone won’t fix his problems.

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, this isn’t the case of Gavin Sheets with 70 grade raw power.  Swing changes alone won’t fix his problems.

Yeah with sheets I would be afraid that we read "worked with Justin Turners private coach in the offseason" and all of a sudden he hits 35% grounders and hits 30 bombs if he gets traded but if raw power isn't great a swing change will only do so much.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

On 11/2/2018 at 2:57 PM, GreenSox said:

.348 OBP in an OBP starved organization. .674 OPS.  Raked in Rookie Ball. Out hit Steele Walker.

How is Banuelos anything other than an org minor leaguer?  His Ks are good, but the WHIP is not, and he's been in the minors for 9 years.
He's stockpiling AAAA talent.

You forgot the .326 SLG/1 homerun part, lol.

Oh and he's a first baseman.

A 670 ops is actually pretty terrible (mlb average is about 730). The obp is decent but slugging is part of hitting especially at first base.

If banuelos becomes a decent lefty reliever the trade would be a win. Of course most likely is that both amount to nothing. The Dodgers will probably improve his swing a little because they have great coaching but the upside is still limited.

I would put banuelos in relief immediately and if he does decently you can flip him for a slightly better prospect than yurchak is.

Edited by dominik-keul@gmx.de

11 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

But he hit homers in rookie ball.  That was his first year in A ball.

Gavin Sheets himself checked in with a mighty 6 dingers in high A, in 437 at bats.

You need to stop while you’re ahead.  Gavin Sheets has 70 grade raw power, Yurchak has well below average raw power for a 1B type.

5 hours ago, GreenSox said:

But he hit homers in rookie ball.  That was his first year in A ball.

Gavin Sheets himself checked in with a mighty 6 dingers in high A, in 437 at bats.

Which is six times more than one.  

Also Gavin Sheets being bad doesn’t make Justin Yurchak better.