Burdi removed from AFL "general fatigue"

southsider2k5

More tonight from Fegan on Burdi:

"Burdi's goal for AFL was to get back on a normal work schedule, so this is a disappointing development, even if a strong spring training can render it moot."

A fan asked, "Heard his velocity is way down. Reason to worry or more of him building it back up?"

"It's been 93-95, so between that and running into fatigue, it's fair to be concerned."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

More tonight from Fegan on Burdi:

"Burdi's goal for AFL was to get back on a normal work schedule, so this is a disappointing development, even if a strong spring training can render it moot."

A fan asked, "Heard his velocity is way down. Reason to worry or more of him building it back up?"

"It's been 93-95, so between that and running into fatigue, it's fair to be concerned."

Ugh.  Reporting like this sucks

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Seems fair to me. He gave an upside and a downside.

I feel ya.  I guess it just seems premature for any amount of downside to me.  

The evidence says his arm cannot handle a typical workload right now,  AND his velocity is down.  

So all I can conclude at this point is that his arm isn’t ready.  Concern of any kind seems a year early, so reporting that “concern is fair” seems inaccurate to me and unnecessarily alarmist.

I’m probably reading a negative tone that isn’t intended to be there 🤠🌮

3 hours ago, Insp said:

If this guy is fatigued at the minor league level, then he can't make it at the MLB level either.  Cut this loser so we can focus on the players with promise.

Everything about this post is just stupid, dumb, & ignorant and represents everything wrong & cowardly about the internet.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, skooch said:

And the hits just keep on comin' ...

Every organization goes through injuries especially w pitchers.  There are probably 50+ players between  the ML roster and A ball that some segment of fans are following.  Luckily we are still in the early rebuild and not counting on guys like Kopech and Burdi to be contributors next year.  

6 hours ago, Insp said:

If this guy is fatigued at the minor league level, then he can't make it at the MLB level either.  Cut this loser so we can focus on the players with promise.

Terrible f***** take. 

He’s a first round pick and a highly regarded relief prospect. He’s recovering from a major injury and everyone responds to injuries differently. 

Cutting Burdi would be such a terribly stupid thing to do. He still has a ton of promise and TJS is not a death sentence. 

Edited by bmags
edited out curse
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

The guy is coming back from a serious injury.  You all expect his arm to be in season ready shape right away?  

I think the only way you feel this way is just quirk of the calendar. Had he been injured  at such a time that the start of his rehab was in march, and then in May we heard he was being shut down from fatigue and his velocity wasn't back, you would be concerned. 

Instead he started rehab in late July, was throwing in AZ in August, goes to AFL in September and has to get shut down. But because all of that was out of site of minor league ball and then the offseason, we can just brush it off. But the guy has been throwing competitively for months.

13 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

Terrible fucking take. 

He’s a first round pick and a highly regarded relief prospect. He’s recovering from a major injury and everyone responds to injuries differently. 

Cutting Burdi would be such a terribly stupid thing to do. He still has a ton of promise and TJS is not a death sentence. 

Let’s be honest here, anyone who is proposing we cut a former 1st round pick coming off an injury who doesn’t need to be added to the 40 man for another year and actually pitched well in the AFL despite lost velocity

edit by mods: removed, let's cool the personal attacks

Edited by bmags

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Everything about this post is just stupid, dumb, & ignorant and represents everything wrong & cowardly about the internet.

Not only that but total lack of baseball knowledge and perspective. We just watched a World Series where Eovaldi was throwing 101 after 2 Tommy John surgeries. How much time did he miss ? How many set backs did he have ? How many times was he fatigued ? Are we going to hearing the same shit when Kopoch's return doesn't go in some linear ,orderly fashion to suit the internet Nazi's ?

26 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Where did you see that? Everything I thought I saw at Longehagens chats said the opposite. 

Someone posted it in one of the future sox threads. People reacted positively but all he said was he looked good. He didn't say how hard he was throwing . I mean you can look good throwing 93-95. A lot of pitchers  prove that. If he gets back most or all of his velocity eventually even better.

Basically we've had posters worried that he's at 93-95 then comes the Longehagen chats that says he looked good without mentioning speed and posters take it positively.