Rebuild

Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I kind of feel bad for the guy TBH.  He has spent apparently decades of his life holding grudges against random strangers for not entertaining him enough, which he feels makes him a better "fan".  I don't know what kind of response there is for that other than the same truths I keep trying to tell him.  If you have time to be angry at complete strangers for decades, your priorities are out of whack.  It doesn't make you a better fan, it makes you bitter and angry.  I watch baseball because I enjoy the sport, and I enjoy the White Sox because of generational family traditions, the escape from daily life it brings me, and a joy of sport.  I feel sad for people who don't get that.  Especially if they do this for decades and feel nothing but anger and disappointment.

Every time this discussion comes up, the same guy comes into conversations which didn't even involve him to start name calling and raging about his way somehow being better.  The anger issues are so prevalent over something that shouldn't be. 

What does it say when you hate something so much, yet keep doing it?  But, rinse and repeat.  Sad is the only thing I feel.

Hypocritical post of the year.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

It was, but he probably thought it the safer route to go rather than trying to fly his flimsy “The desire to win is a character flaw!” argument by me again.  

I think both of you are quality posters but SS2K5 wants to win like the rest of us. He wouldn't be here otherwise posting his opinions on the best course the rebuild can take if he didn't want to see the Sox win. Now he might not take the losing as badly as some people do but a team you love that wins is a team you love even more. Even he probably can't deny that.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Come back when you have an original thought.

There you go again. 

Most of your "original thoughts" are others tweets, or trying to pile on when others rip a "stranger" you seem to have a problem with. 

You did come up with an original thought the other day when you said I rip Renteria for his hustle rule. I asked for some proof. Of course, that was the end of that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

There you go again. 

Most of your "original thoughts" are others tweets, or trying to pile on when others rip a "stranger" you seem to have a problem with. 

You did come up with an original thought the other day when you said I rip Renteria for his hustle rule. I asked for some proof. Of course, that was the end of that. 

Again, come back when you have an original thought.  One that doesn't involved stalking or trolling other posters.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, come back when you have an original thought.  One that doesn't involved stalking or trolling other posters.

Says the guy trolling posters. Keep making my point, and why can't you just say your post with the incorrect claim was wrong? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Says the guy trolling posters. Keep making my point, and why can't you just say your post with the incorrect claim was wrong? 

It wasn't wrong.  This is a Trumpian attempt to get me to prove something that you know is true, and would just move the goalposts when I did.  No need to waste anytime on it.  Besides, seeing it eating at you after this long is enough.  I learned long ago you don't need truth.  You make it up as you go along.

47 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It wasn't wrong.  This is a Trumpian attempt to get me to prove something that you know is true, and would just move the goalposts when I did.  No need to waste anytime on it.  Besides, seeing it eating at you after this long is enough.  I learned long ago you don't need truth.  You make it up as you go along.

It was wrong. I never ripped Renteria's hustle rule. It's your claim. Trumpian is claiming something with no proof. Just saying something that fits your narrative. That is what you have done. It eats me because it its a made up lie. You are a liar. You told me a couple of posts ago, I don't have an original thought. Now, you say I make things up as I go along. Seems someone is trying to throw a bunch of things out to see if anything can stick.

You wrote I ripped his rule. Show me where, or everything you just claimed, I am not guilty of, you are. 

It's all you trolling yet telling others to get a life. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't engaged with all of the bickering this thread so I'm not sure if we're still talking about baseball, but you should find it noteworthy that especially in the case of the Cubs, the winning roster they put together was based on mostly pieces that were not acquired via rebuilding and/or were not obviously good assets when acquired. Kris Bryant was basically the one major piece acquired via *tanking*, although they didn't do it all that well (only picked #3). A number of other key cogs came from trades, but some of them prior to the rebuild and some as guys that weren't exactly seen as valuable (Arrieta the most obvious example). Then you have free agent signings like Zobrist, Lester, Lackey.

Astros were more obviously built from pieces acquired while rebuilding, but their rebuilding process was also very tortuous and a league-wide embarrassment. They also made a number of big mistakes along the way but managed to power through them. 

Best strategy is to just get as many good assets as you can and see what shakes out. Use your big market resources to add good assets at possibly high prices as needed but still look for the good values.

43 minutes ago, Jake said:

I haven't engaged with all of the bickering this thread so I'm not sure if we're still talking about baseball, but you should find it noteworthy that especially in the case of the Cubs, the winning roster they put together was based on mostly pieces that were not acquired via rebuilding and/or were not obviously good assets when acquired. Kris Bryant was basically the one major piece acquired via *tanking*, although they didn't do it all that well (only picked #3). A number of other key cogs came from trades, but some of them prior to the rebuild and some as guys that weren't exactly seen as valuable (Arrieta the most obvious example). Then you have free agent signings like Zobrist, Lester, Lackey.

Astros were more obviously built from pieces acquired while rebuilding, but their rebuilding process was also very tortuous and a league-wide embarrassment. They also made a number of big mistakes along the way but managed to power through them. 

Best strategy is to just get as many good assets as you can and see what shakes out. Use your big market resources to add good assets at possibly high prices as needed but still look for the good values.

I wonder with all this tanking, and how many think it is really killing the middle class free agents, is at some point, will MLB goes to a draft lottery?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It was wrong. I never ripped Renteria's hustle rule. It's your claim. Trumpian is claiming something with no proof. Just saying something that fits your narrative. That is what you have done. It eats me because it its a made up lie. You are a liar. You told me a couple of posts ago, I don't have an original thought. Now, you say I make things up as I go along. Seems someone is trying to throw a bunch of things out to see if anything can stick.

You wrote I ripped his rule. Show me where, or everything you just claimed, I am not guilty of, you are. 

It's all you trolling yet telling others to get a life. 

Also, I am sorry I hurt your feeling again.  This is really getting to you.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder with all this tanking, and how many think it is really killing the middle class free agents, is at some point, will MLB goes to a draft lottery?

Great point Dick. I usually really enjoy your posts. Greg is not a fan of tanking and the lottery makes sense.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I kind of feel bad for the guy TBH.  He has spent apparently decades of his life holding grudges against random strangers for not entertaining him enough, which he feels makes him a better "fan".  I don't know what kind of response there is for that other than the same truths I keep trying to tell him.  If you have time to be angry at complete strangers for decades, your priorities are out of whack.  It doesn't make you a better fan, it makes you bitter and angry.  I watch baseball because I enjoy the sport, and I enjoy the White Sox because of generational family traditions, the escape from daily life it brings me, and a joy of sport.  I feel sad for people who don't get that.  Especially if they do this for decades and feel nothing but anger and disappointment.

Every time this discussion comes up, the same guy comes into conversations which didn't even involve him to start name calling and raging about his way somehow being better.  The anger issues are so prevalent over something that shouldn't be. 

What does it say when you hate something so much, yet keep doing it?  But, rinse and repeat.  Sad is the only thing I feel.

Sigmund Freud, ladies and gentlemen!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Fan O'Faust said:

Sigmund Freud, ladies and gentlemen!

You should have stopped while you were (temporarily) ahead...in the end, instructing others how to be a better fan, or even what constitutes “proper” fandom, is going to be a losing battle, on EITHER side.

That said, most fans these days are not typically going to sympathize with or even feel a common bond with billionaires in ownership.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You should have stopped while you were (temporarily) ahead...in the end, instructing others how to be a better fan, or even what constitutes “proper” fandom, is going to be a losing battle, on EITHER side.

That said, most fans these days are not typically going to sympathize with or even feel a common bond with billionaires in ownership.

It has nothing to do with ownership.  It is all about feeling sorry for yourself over a sport, and continuing to do it for decades