Hahn on The Score this morning

Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Anyone kind enough to give a good summary?  

Dropped hints about chasing a top notch FA this winter.

Cease is on a schedule of Kopech, but a year behind.  If he had higher innings totals, he'd probably have been up most of next year. 

Talked about adding starting and relieving help short term this winter.

Praised Shields work with the kids.

Everything on schedule with Kopech. 

Sounds like all coaches will be back. 

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Cease is on a schedule of Kopech, but a year behind.  If he had higher innings totals, he'd probably have been up most of next year. 

I'll add, he also mentioned that he still considers Chris Sale to be a friend, and when the host jokingly mentioned that Chris Sale is a free agent in 2020, Hahn said sarcastically "I'm sorry, you're breaking up". Obviously all in good fun but interesting to hear that they still have a good relationship. 

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Nearly everything that’s come out this week points to Sox going after Manny

I agree although a small part of me has been wondering lately if it's all misdirection, and that their real target is Harper 

Edited by Jose Abreu
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Awesome...thanks for the quick summary.  

Machado is going to be the best of all the signings from a pure production perspective (relative to dollars). Mainly because it appears front offices might over-react to his post-season and some negative things that came up in LA during the stretch run. 

If I were the Sox, I either go for Machado (who I think can actually end up being worth his contract) or you say screw it and go for Harper purely to put butts in the seat and try to win the fan battle. I see far more risk from a baseball production perspective with Harper...because he has had issues staying on the field and is coming off a down year...that said, he's young, in his prime, and can be a total game changer in terms of putting buts in the seats, etc. (he's a must watch player). He also has as good of tools as any player in the game. 

Would rather not hear a lot of PR about bidding on prominent FA's but certain that we will. I suppose Manny behaving like a street punk will not deter his market value. 

Edited by pcq

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I agree although a smart part of me has been wondering lately if it's all misdirection, and that their real target is Harper 

Same here. Harper gives them a left handed high OBP bat for the middle of the order. Keeps Eloy in LF where he's better off. If the Sox believe Madrigal is destined for 2B then Moncada might be the future 3B for the Sox and make some sense as to why they would pursuit Harper.

25 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Same here. Harper gives them a left handed high OBP bat for the middle of the order. Keeps Eloy in LF where he's better off. If the Sox believe Madrigal is destined for 2B then Moncada might be the future 3B for the Sox and make some sense as to why they would pursuit Harper.

Not to mention they could use their outfield surplus as trade chips. 

If they sign Harper, Anyone other than Basabe, Gonzalez and Robert are fair game as trade chips, but at the same time they become less valuable from the opposing team's perspective because they're blocked, unless you're willing to move Eloy to DH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I agree although a small part of me has been wondering lately if it's all misdirection, and that their real target is Harper 

Preferring one over the other is fine, but if the Sox are interested in one of Machado or Harper it makes 0 sense not to be interested in the other. My guess is that one of them wouldn't be willing to sign with a non contender anyway.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Care to clarify who is a big name besides Harper and Machado ?

Corbin presumably...Keuchel and Kimbrel.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2019.html

Once you get past the Top 10, there’s a severe drop off in quality.

Also has Josh Donaldson signing a $20 million one year deal, Harper at $420 million to the Dodgers and Machado at $390 million to the Phillies.  Only three deals for over $100, though, with Corbin at $129 million to the Yankees.

If the Twins are going to spend $100 million plus, it will be the shocker of the offseason.

Edited by caulfield12

20 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Don’t forget, when he was asked what they need this offseason, the first thing again said was pitching. I think they’ll seriously pursue Kikuchi.

Though I think he’ll get more money than MLBTR predicted. 

I take it Kikuchi doesn’t count against our amateur bonus pool?